“Very pleasant base to explore York” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Vin York

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in York
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant base to explore York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We enjoyed a very pleasant and relaxing overnight stay at the Hotel du Vin in York. The superior room was very comfortable with an impressive bath/shower room ! Good dinner menu in the restaurant with excellent service. Friendly and helpful staff. Only issue was the lack of wifi internet connection due to a system fault that couldn't be resolved during our stay. Easy walk from the hotel into the centre of the historic city and to the train station.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Richard C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this review, 5 September 2015
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to share your feedback about your visit to Hotel du Vin York.

We strive to deliver consistently great service in our beautiful hotel and city, so we are very glad we achieved this for your stay.

We very much look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you both back in the future, if I can be of any personal assistant either now or in the future then please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Warm regards

Richard
Richard Christie
Hotel du Vin York

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

A lovely hotel, great service and nice room but I must give reduce my overall rating for charging £10 to park in their own grounds (on top of a £205 room) and serving Eggs Benedict with thick bacon???

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HappyZoomer
Steven H, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Hotel du Vin York. It was great to read that you had such a great stay with us I am sorry you were unable to reflect in your review headline and overall score.
After looking into your feedback I have done a ring round of other city centre hotels and can confirm those that do offer secure parking which isn’t all, do also charge. This is communicated in all booking correspondence and also at check in. I am very sorry that this charge has affronted you in this way.

Please feel free to contact me personally should you wish to discuss further.
High Wycombe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of days after getting married and it was great! We had a really nice room with a roll top bath, the staff on the whole were spot on.
We ate in the restaurant one night and it was 'ok' Nice steak, mussells a bit bland but overall a nice place to be.
The only big minus point for us was the barman in the cocktail bar, although friendly enough, kept going on about tips in a not very subtle way. Not very professional and actually had the opposite effect-we gave a paltry tip and went somewhere else.
Apart from that, very nice!

• Stayed February 2014

Richard
Richard Christie
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed here as i had a business meeting in York. I was able to park my car in the morning and leave it there for the day. The room was really clean and all the facilities were great. I didn't use the restaurant or bar. But i did find the reception staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I don't always write reviews, but felt that this hotel needed one!

We went here this weekend gone to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday. We know we wanted a good room as we really appreciate a nice room to spend time in. We were definitely not disappointed. We booked a superior room and were given the Hartenberg which had its own special staircase. The room was beautiful with a role top bath in the middle of it. We also had complimentary champagne and chocolates for his birthday, which we did not expect at all.

The hotel itself is extremely nice and quirky. The terrace is such a beautiful place to sit at an evening.

On the down side please be advised that the drinks are very expensive. I love Rose wine and we would have had a bottle of wine with our meal, however it was £30! Even the bottle beers were £7.50 with no draft available. This slightly disappointed us but we didn't go to the hotel to get drunk! Further, the food in the restaurant was not to our taste and could have been good however...a lot of what we had was tasteless with no seasoning at all. The breakfast in the morning however was excellent! (Different chef maybe?). Lastly, the hotel do charge you £10 for parking your vehicle at the hotel, not sure why, as this puts the hotel down again, as surely they would offer that as being included in your stay?

On the whole the hotel is very good and i would definitely return. The staff were extremely helpful and accomodating and rooms were amazing. The location is good as well, just a small 15 walk into the centre.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Our first stay in a HDV and we were delighted. The interiior of the hotel is full of character and feels homely and warm.
Front of house staff could not have been more heloful.
Our bedroom was my idea of heaven, roll too bath, huge bed and amazing seoerate shower. I wished we had booked for 2 nights,
Centrally located 5 mins walk from train station and city wall.
We ate in the bistro and had the set menu, It was good but nothing special, you get what you pay for. There are so many reasonably priced restauranrs in York within easy walk of hotel.
So will defo recommend and stay in HDV again but probably wouldnt eat there.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

My partner booked us in here for a little weekend away. We had a warm welcome and the staff were very polite and helpful. Our room was wonderful; one of the 'standard' rooms but it was very nice, with everything you would need and the decor was lovely. The only complaint I would have is that the shower isn't very functional and the mattress was uncomfortable. I was impressed also that in the morning, the cleaning staff were friendly and all went out of their way to say hello.
The first evening, we went down to the restaurant, and ordered dinner; sautéed mushrooms on brioche and French onion soup, both nice. We then ordered the main, which was pork and dauphinoise, and my partner had cod on a bed of lentils. I was disappointed with my main as the pork was dry and very fatty. The price of these meals was disproportionate to its quality and we have paid much less for higher quality food in other establishments.
Breakfast was pleasant; again, not the best I have had and it was reasonable. Nice eggs and sausage though. I had to ask for an extra tea bag in a large pot as it was very weak and my partner barely scraped a cup of coffee from the cafetiere. I didn't much appreciate the cow shaped jugs for the milk which 'vomited' milk into your teacup.
We then struggled to get in to the restaurant that night; we were quite disappointed that they did not accommodate us as for £130 a night, you would think they could manage to fit us in somewhere such as the lounge. They failed to suggest room service, which we had but it was delivered without cutlery (very useful).
Yes the hotel is beautiful and the rooms excellently furnished, but it is not good value for money and it wasn't without its issues. We shall be seeking better value accommodation elsewhere.

• 2 of 5 bubbles