“nice hotel .”
Review of Hotel du Vin York

Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Only spent one night 4/14 Good location all staff friendly nice room ( Trafford ) The restaurant was expensive and just above average , had better steaks at half the price ! but the breakfast was A1 10/10 The toilet in our room had a smell of a gents public convenience , it requires a deep clean . Attention to detail makes all the difference . Housekeeping for me let this very pleasant hotel down.

Room Tip: rooms at the rear are away from road noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Steven H, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Hotel du Vin York. I was of course disappointed to read some of your feedback but rest assured it has been passed on to all the management team at the Hotel.
We pride ourselves on very high housekeeping standards and I am some what puzzled by your main feedback relating to this.
To that end I would love the opportunity to talk to you directly about the situation and please feel free to contact me at the Hotel at any time.

Kind Regards,

Steven

Write a ReviewReviews (1,570)

Reviewed 25 April 2014

A very nice hotel.
Good location within easy walking distance of the city centre, for most people. There's also a decent amount of nice bars, restaurants, and cafés close to the hotel.
We stayed in a standard double room. Very comfy bed. Much better lighting and mirrors than most hdv (but the lighting could still be better for hair and makeup). The room was of a perfectly decent size. All very clean.
Pleasant staff at reception.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tom7p
Richard C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2015

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to share your feedback about your recent visit to Hotel du Vin York.

We strive to deliver consistently great service in our beautiful hotel and city, we are very glad we achieved this for something as important as your Anniversary.

We very much look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you both back in the future, if I can be of any personal assistant either now or in the future then please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed for 1 night over Easter, easy walk from station and into the city centre. Staff are really friendly and welcoming. Not the cheapest of hotel chains but you get what you pay for and the rooms and customer service are exceptional. Would definitely consider returning if cashflow permits!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were looking forward to our stay at Hotel du Vin, York and while the location and general public areas were good there was some lack of management that left us underwhelmed after our stay.
For example the 'Cigar Shack' was a well appointed smoking area with no ashtray/bin.
The range of complimentary toiletries was good though we had two shampoos rather than a shampoo and shower gel on arrival. This Miller Harris range was very agreeable but cannot be purchased at the hotel or it appears anywhere.
The musak was not really needed and was at time intrusive.
The restaurant was a disaster for dinner, scallop starter was too sweet, the moules lacking any discernible white wine hit in the sauce, the beef bourgignon and steak and snail pie both lacked depth of flavour. It was as though the ingredients had be cooked separately and combined with some catering gravy browning. There were other complaints that night...we were not charge for one course and were given complimentary port but this did not make up for the French Bistro style experience that we were expecting.
Breakfast was better but the smoked haddock was not on the menu on the first day and the poached eggs a little vinegary. I had to ask for butter which came after having been microwaved. the toast arrive far in advance of the main course.
The room was good though could have been cleaner in the corners. The tea was not replenished so I had to ask.
This hotel could be so much better if they got the small detail right. I'll probably try another Hotel du Vin as I did stay on a good value two night deal. A pity this could have been a great review.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for writing your recent review of Hotel du Vin York. It was saddening to learn of your disappointment and rest assured your comments have been put to good use.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter further with you on a personal level. Please feel free to contact me at the Hotel at your convenience should you share my want to do so.

Kind Regards,

Steven

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights last week and can't find a fault with any aspect of the hotel or staff. It's withing walking distance "id say 10 mins max" from all your shops and restaurants. The room was very comfortable and they stock the mini bar with these Yorkshire handmade crisps that are unbelievable, especially the chilli and lime ones but watch out they cost a pretty penny as I found out after eating 3 tins of them!! If u can add the breakfast onto your stay then do it. I think in works out about £8 each per night as a couple and is amazing value for what you get. I had the full breakfast one morning with tea and freshly squeezed orange juice followed by apple strudel and some yogurt. Parking is not a problem aswell as there's a large private car park to the rear of the building. The prices per night in this place aren't far in front of the premier inn or best western yet the difference in quality is huge. No brainer for me.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dutchschafer4
Richard C, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2015

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to share your feedback about your visit to Hotel du Vin York.

We strive to deliver consistently great service in our beautiful hotel and city, so we are very glad we achieved this for your stay.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I hadn't even seen the website or read any reviews before visiting here on Saturday so didn't know what to expect...it was perfect, elegant and classy. W stayed in a superior room which had a big queen sized bed, mini bar and an amazing bathroom with walk in shower and free standing Victorian bath. The staff were amazing and helpful and polite. I would recommend to anyone and will be staying again in the future!

Room Tip: choose superior!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I brought three business colleagues to York for a one night stay.

The hotel is in a great location to explore York on foot.

Rooms were beautiful - large with the most amazing bathroom with roll top bath, rain forest shower wet area.

Restaurant was not busy, service was good, and the food great.

Overall, thoroughly recommend.