“Made for a special break”
Review of Hotel du Vin York

Hotel du Vin York
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We chose to stay at the Hotel Du Vin because of its proximity to the racecourse. Our two night stay was delightful. We decided to take up their unusual offer of a paid but discounted upgrade if available at the time of arrival and we were hugely impressed with the massive stateroom we were given. The shower room was enormous and the bath in the middle of the room was impressive if impractical.
Service was first class with a genuine friendliness, most of the time. Breakfast and lunch were more than acceptable

Room Tip: Look out for the discounted suites-makes it a bit special if you get one
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ThePilgrim2014
Steven H, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review of Hotel du Vin York. It is always nice to read retrospectively when guests have had such a good time they want to share their experience with the TripAdvisor community.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin York

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I booked this hotel blindly and in a hurry as I needed somewhere to stay in York at short notice. This is no ordinary corporate plastic chain hotel, it is superbly built and tastefully decorated not only in the rooms but in the public areas as well, with plenty of attention to detail. From what I can see and have later read, this appears to have been a renovated building with a new block built separately, but the new build is of such high standard and design, that it just melds in with the original main building, and looks as if it has been there for decades.

At reception which is small but adequate, and nicely furnished with proper wooden desks rather than the standard high obtrusive hotel reception counter, (I particularly liked the clocks poking fun at pretentious international time zones) I was greeted by a very friendly member of staff who booked me in and then personally showed me to my room.

The room I had was in the new block, and only a standard room, but all the rooms seemed to have names not numbers which is a nice touch. My room was named Ruinart and was on the second floor. The standard of furniture in the room was excellent, all modern but quality made real wood with matching bed, wardrobe, desk and TV cabinet, the TV itself was of a very high quality Samsung flat screen 42” smart TV, with a fair if small selection of channels including SKY sports. The bed linen was again very high quality, cotton material and the duvet & pillow fillings were I believe real feather.

The minibar was thoughtfully stocked with a couple of real ales, a champagne, white wine, some soft drinks too, and a small but perfect sized free milk container for your tea and coffee. There was also a snack bar with some treats on the table next to the coffee machine, incl a bottle of red wine I’m not usually a minibar user, as I don’t like the prices but they have their place and the provision here was well above the usual standards. There was a real coffee making machine with some pods to use and & sachets & also a selection of herbal tea bags as well as the standard breakfast tea bags etc. My room was extremely comfortable, there was a sash opening window (modern double glazed) which opened onto the side of the block facing the entry drive into the car park, but I heard no noise of any traffic even sleeping with the window open all night.

The bathroom was again of an excellent standard and decoration with a wonderful large headed rainfall shower head which with the turn of a single lever brought a deluge of perfect temperature hot water down upon you, perfect to wake you and prepare you for a day’s work, or a busy sightseeing tour of the city. There was also a selection of very posh soap, shampoo, conditioner & shower gel, and containers with cotton buds and face pads.

Breakfast was served in the large bistro & also included in the room rate, and a very good selection there was too. There was cereal and croissants and fresh orange juice, toast was offered with choice of white or brown, and then from the menu I ordered eggs benedict with bacon, and it certainly did not disappoint. The eggs were professionally poached (chef knows what he’s doing here) bacon was of good quality thick rashers perfectly grilled, and the hollandaise sauce was just right, nice flavour and not too thick. I had a colleague join me for breakfast and who ordered the French toast, this was a generous slice of brioche loaf fried in whisked eggs with maple syrup to pour over it, and it came with bacon too. This was washed down with two cups each of perfect tea, from a proper ceramic tea pot.

There is a good sized off street parking area here with gravel covering, and this is surrounded by a nice wooded area with some benches further down on a grass area. There is a small terrace at the back of the main building with some nice patio furniture, and there is a nicely mowed lawn here too. I looked with envy at the wonderful smokers shack at the rear of the hotel, which made me (even as a non- smoker) feel like pretending to smoke just so I could sit or stand in it to enjoy its ambience.
Considering how close to the main road this hotel is, I heard no traffic noise at all, it is very well located on the main road into the City of York, being only a ten minute walk into the city.

If I had to be critical, (which almost seems unfair to do so) it would only be to say that I knocked my shins on the wooden bed frame twice while walking round the bed, but then I guess this is more me being clumsy than a fault with the bed. Also I would say that when you are trying to find reception from the car park with two awkward wheeled bags and a lap top shoulder bag, a signpost directing you on the shortest route with the fewest doors to negotiate would be very beneficial , but then maybe I should have parked at the front of the hotel and checked in at reception before parking at the rear.

All in all, I loved this hotel, its individuality, style and ambience are the very essence of an old English hotel, and very befitting of the historical location that is York. In fact I enjoyed it so much, that I am currently looking for an excuse to travel in this direction and stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Nige1964

Thank you for this 5 star report on Hotel du Vin York. I will ensure your comments are passed to the team as I know they all love a good review.

Please think of us again when visiting York

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My late husband and I always used to stay in a Du Vin Hotel if one was available for our various trips around the country so I decided to take a long weekend trip to York as it was one of the places we wanted to visit. So I booked a suite at the Du Vin York and my stay was fabulous. The room was very large, with a massive double bed and two very big screen TVs. The room service was excellent as is usual in these hotels and the service first class. The staff were very friendly, attentive and professional and really helped me to enjoy the city and the services at the hotel. I can definitely recommend a Du Vin hotel - a small chain with superb staff. Highly recommended.

Thank you once again for a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ydavidson2

Thank you for taking the time to write this 5 star review of Hotel du Vin York. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at Easter and it was lovely. Great food, service with a smile and a lovely room with a huge bathroom and living/bedroom area. It was our anniversary and we had a Lovely treat of chocolates and champagne when we arrived, a great touch

We are regulars a the du vin chain and this is by far the loveliest hotel in the chain we have stayed in to date.

Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: All the rooms have names but I would pick a superior room, very. Good quality
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank anneloo

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Hotel du Vin York. It is always great to receive feedback relating to good service as we do spend a lot of time with the teams in this area.

Kind regards,.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

All the du vin hotels are stylish and very comfortable but what makes this hotel is the quality of the staff , starting with reception who have big smiles and are really friendly and helpful , this is the same around the hotel and the service by a great bunch in the restuarant is excellent. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a kingsize as the double is a bit small
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Steven H, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this 5 star review of Hotel du Vin York. I will ensure everyone in the Hotel gets to see your kind feedback.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We've stayed at HdV for years, we decided to go for the Sunday night offer as it seemed too good to miss. However the food is really not what it once was, I second another reviewers opinion of the tart tatin, half an apple & some puff pastry is not a tart tatin. A member of our party who ordered a pear, blue cheese & walnut salad had declared she was a coeliac when ordering yet her salad arrived without walnuts but covered in croutons. A medium fillet steak came well done. Generally the food/bistro is not the delight it once was but this seems the trend in all the hdv hotels recently. We then retired to the bar, although the air con was blasting out an arctic chill. There was no where cosy to sit and we tried out 3 different areas, cold and uninviting. Considering the accommodation was very reduced the food & drinks bill was extortionate and lacks the cosy bars & charm they once had!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank blondepip
Steven H, General Manager at Hotel du Vin York, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Hotel du Vin York. I am sorry we didn't quite meet your expectations this time.

Hopefully we are able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Visited 3rd and 4th June , stopped in Penfolds which was very nice, large King Size bed, monsoon shower, large room, at back of hotel. We ate at the hotel on the first evening, food was Ok, not as good as I remember at the Bristol Du Vin, nice terrace area for per dinner drinks.
Staff attentive in the restaurant and service was fine, had breakfast both mornings, very good.
We chose to eat in York centre our second night as we wanted try a particular place.
Reception staff very good and we received a complimentary bottle of bubbly as we were celebrating our Silver Wedding Anniversary.
Only issue was the water feed to the adjacent room made a high pitched squeal through the pipe work, which woke us both mornings.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mick P

Thank you for writing this super review of the hotel. I will make sure all the team at Hotel du Vin York read it.