“Amazing service, fabulous bistro, beautiful hotel, faultless!!!!”
Review of Hotel du Vin York

Hotel du Vin York
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in York
Blackpool, U.K.
“Amazing service, fabulous bistro, beautiful hotel, faultless!!!!”
Reviewed 28 August 2009

I felt compelled to write this review after reading some previous reviews which do not shed a very good light on the hotel, in particular the Bistro. My husband and I spent last weekend at the hotel, and had a wonderful meal in the Bistro on Sunday evening. The staff are absolutely faultless, we stay in nice hotels as treats throughout the year; all I can say is that I have already booked to revisit the Hotel Du Vin in York twice before this Xmas! The food in the Bistro was fantastic, in particular my husband said his steak was perfect, they even made a fresh sauce for him as he didn't want the choice from the menu. The staff throughout the hotel including the Bistro were so attentive and appeared very genuinely concerned that we enjoyed our stay. We have stayed at The Lowry in Manchester and various Malmaisons in the UK, but the HDV York definately has more to offer. The room was lovely, very sumptuously decorated and the hotel itself being in a listed building had a very unique charm and character you wouldn't find in the rival characterless Hilton hotels. We have actually stayed at the Hilton York, although this is more central, the quality of the room, restaurant and service does not even compare. And to say the Hilton is usually more expensive? So impressed were we with the Hotel Du Vin we will be revisiting in October and November, and I am trying to arrange a Spa break for my sister for her birthday in October, hopefully with the Hotel Du Vin Harrogate. If there ever were any supposed problems with the service in York, have no fear because there are no longer. I booked the hotel before reading the reviews and must say I was slightly concerned. However, I am so glad I decided to judge the hotel for myself because not only did we have a wonderful weekend, my husband and I have also found a new romantic retreat.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Newcastle
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Booked a night at The Hotel Du Vin York for a special birthday treat for my mum. Had noticed on the website that they had a graeat deal on for Sunday nights '£10 Sunday Supplement'. If you spent £75 in the Bistro you could have your room for £10! Booked it about 3 months in advance so not to miss out. When we arrived at the Hotel the room was unfortunately not ready but we were an hour and a half early, so got a drink in the bar and sat on their big sofas, checked in at 3pm and the room was still not ready.....but they got us complimentary drinks from the bar and apologised, luckily they came back about 25 minutes later and took us to our room. This deal was fantastic, the room was obviously not a suite but the facilities were great, comfy beds, lovely Egyptian cotton bed sheets, lots of comfy pillows, large flat screen TV with DVD, mini bar....very pricey but still fun to have! The bathroom was modern with a large shower head that was great and a big deep bath! Anything you needed was in the room, Iron, Ironing board etc. We had a 3 course meal in the Bistro witha bottle of Pinot Grigio, the food was fantastic could not fault it....the Bistro was quite busy for a sunday but the service was faultless, food was delicious didnt have to wait long at all between courses, staff were great!

Would definitely go again....hope to very soon! Would recommend to anyone of any age for a nice break with your mum, best friend or partner!

• Stayed August 2009
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I had used this hotel for business meetings several times, but then a too good to miss offer popped up in my inbox and a girlie weekend was booked.
I cannot fault the hotel and we were upgraded to a 2 floor suite. The rooms are very contemporary with a fantastic bathroom on the first floor. A huge separate showere and a slipper bath overlooking the balcony!
I have eaten here several times and have always been very pleased with the food. It is not haute cuisine but very good quality bistro food, with an exceptional winelist. Prices to suit all tastes!
Breakfast is also excellent and cooked to order
If you are staying in York and want to be within walking distance of all the sites and like luxurious touches, then I can definitely recommend Hotel du Vin

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank lisasplaces
Aberdeen
Reviewed 5 July 2009

We had a lovely couple of nights here.
The room was very clean, with no dirt to be found anywhere.
We did feel that the lighting in the room was poor but we couldn't fault anything else with the room.
The hotels bistro offered delicious food. We did wait a long time for it though - with waiting times as long as 40 minutes between meals.
The reception staff were friendly and helpful but the reception area was clearly understaffed with long waiting periods.
One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2009

Stayed here for one night last Sunday on a package which included room, dinner for two including wine and coffee and breakfast.

Room was small but very nice - however there is a £10 charge per day for parking in their private car park.

We had a meal in the Bistro as part of the package and the service was not good at all, we were not offered bread with our soup and when we requested it we were warned that it would cost us £2.50 each. That's £5 for half a baguette. There was no spoon on the table for my soup and after the meal our coffees arrived with no cups and the waitress went around spare tables collecting cups for us to use.

The meal was ok but nothing special and when we checked out we had been charged £15.50 for the wine which should have been included and £8.30 for some unspecified food item - when we complained both were deducted from the bill but there was no apology.

Breakfast was very good though - if I went again I wouldn't eat in the Bistro, there were better places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Newcastle /Tyne UK
Reviewed 4 July 2009

We decided as we were childless at 5.30 pm on a friday evening that we would go to York for the night and spend the Saturday enjoying the sites.
I rang the Hotel du Vin in York spoke to a charming lady,they had room and we were offered room and breakfast for 89.00,this i booked along with making a dinner reservation for 8.30pm
We live an hour and a half away so we arrived at just before 8pm we were shown our room which was small but nice enough for one night.
We went to the bistro at 8.10 had a drink and were given the menus at 9.10 no one was interested in serving us with another drink or taking an order ,plenty of staff chatting amongst themselves but not interested in serving paying guests At 9 20 i went to the hotel reception and asked Laura who checked us in if she could recommend somewhere that was interested in serving food as clearly du vin was not
The General Manager was in ear shot and asked if he could help, the position was explained to him and off he wandered Laura was asked again to suggest somewhere decent for food and she presented us with a leaflet with the names of various restaurants and told us to wander down the high street and we would find somewhere.... no suggestions no effort to find somewhere for us just off you go...so we wandered down the street past some grotty looking places,and then returned to the hotel and checked out and drove home
In fairness to the Gen Mgr when we got back to the hotel he was in our room leaving a bottle of wine with an apology but sadly the evening was destroyed by the general poor service and lack of attention by staff to the people who make it possible for them to have jobs in this economic climate
I am a fan of Malmaison and I was looking forward to the same level of service from du vin but the York hotel needs the staff shaking up and sorting out We will never go back there ,such a shame because it is a pretty hotel with seriously ugly service issues

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Frankpfs
kendal
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Stayed for three nights and the room we were given was to say the least small with one upright chair small wardrobe,desk and bed. Being a groundfloor room the bathroom was fitted with disabled facilities but not very well and there is no way you could accommodate a wheelcair. The room was too hot, the duvet too thick and the air conditioning was poor. We could not stay a further night in this room so asked to see another room.We were shown a room upstairs which was no better, small and even smaller bathroom.The next room was slightly larger and airier so decided to take it. Our stay at the York HDV was not what we expected, disapointing compared to Harrogate. We would not stay again as I think HDV are making changes for the worse by offering very differing standards of accommodation and facilities. Sorry HDV but I think you can get better accommodation elsewhere for the prices you charge.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple