“All smiles until dinner time.”
Review of Hotel du Vin York

Hotel du Vin York
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 29 December 2009

We arrived on Xmas day afternoon, tired after a long drive from Sussex. Check in took a long time as they seemed to be under-staffed; however, any smidgen of irritation immediately vanished when we were informed with a smile that they had upgraded us to a suite (de Trafford).

De Trafford was indeed lovely, with a gigantic bed, a large tub (in the main room) and a glorious bathroom. The shower was especially impressive, it had a very large shower head and it truly felt like standing under a waterfall. Although they charged £29 for a half bottle of champagne we still went for it. How could we not lie in that tub together and sip champagne? Absolute decadence! Breakfast the following morning was OK, but I do think that in order to call a breakfast continental more of continent should be included. Some more savoury options for instance, such as ham and cheese, would be a good start. Also the toaster apparently needs to be mended because the toast was either just bread (i.e. not toasted at all) or burnt.

We also found it surprising that the hotel had not put down any sand or grit on the icy and treacherous paths from the car park to the hotel. Dangerous!

We decided to have dinner in the bistro on Boxing Day evening and this was the great disappointment of our stay. Having eaten at the Hotel du Vin in Brighton on countless occasions and always enjoyed the delicious food and first class service, this was a real let down. The service at York was slack with a complete lack of attention to detail. Empty glasses were left on the table, water glasses were not topped up. And my steak was so tough I had to send it back. At the end they also decided to add a bottle of wine to our bill that we had not had, and when we pointed this out the waitress simply said: "Ok, I'll take it off". No apologies. A real shame.

All in all the stay was very enjoyable, and we're already thinking of staying here again next year. But we will definitely not dine at the bistro again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,570)

Reviewed 29 December 2009

First of all, we found our room rather small for a hotel du vin, more like a typical under sized hotel bedroom in London. The room can get really hot and stuffy especially after a shower even with the AirCon to the lowest temperature.

We were not very impressed with the quality of the food served for dinner, however, they do have an impressive wine list. Didn't like the presentation of the food, and it's more like a pub meal in a way. We have had much better meals in other hotel du vin, and we have had much better steak in other restaurants with better price. Maybe the Chef was in his/her Christmas holiday while we were there.

As usual, all the staff are very friendly and helpful, no fault on the service. I wouldn't recommend this hotel though if you are expecting a comfortable room and a nice meal.

Reviewed 27 December 2009

My boyfriend took me to Hotel Du vin on Boxing day night, it was recommended by a friend, and we absolutely loved it, the hotel was stunning, rooms beautiful, service was the best, and the food was superb, would stay at a Hotel Du Vin again

Reviewed 10 December 2009

my husband and I had a fantastic stay at hotel du vin and will definitely recommend it to friends. the service was excellent and our room was lovely, we had a 1st class meal in the bistro and the ladies on reception were extremely helpful, especially Laura. we are already deciding when to book for next year!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2009

The hotel itself is lovely, very cosy and welcoming and the rooms are quite comfortable and well presented. We decided to book a table in the bistro as it looked very nice and we didn't fancy going out in the rain that night, so we contacted reception and thay said that they would arrange it with the restaurant. When we got to the restaurant that night they didn't have any record of the reservation so we had to wait for a table to become available.Not ideal! When we finally did get a table I ordered scallops to start and turkey for the main course.The scallops were over cooked and rubbery and the turkey was quite tasteless and presented in a bizarre roll type affair. The vegetables were actually worse being totally tasteless particularly the potatos which were obviously the frozen "Aunty Bessie" style. Appalling given the prices they had the nerve to be charging, safest to say we didn't venture onto the dessert! Take my advice and eat out if you want a decent meal.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2009

I travelled here on business with colleagues and would definitely recommend it for business/personal trip. The hotel is made up of 3 separate buildings, I've stayed in two of the buildings now. The Minster Building has amazing rooms on the first floor with mezzanine bathrooms with roll top bath and double shower cubicles. The shambles building has standard but adequate rooms with separate bathroom. All decorated lovely. Ambience of the hotel bar and restaurant is good. One down side was with the breakfast service being a bit slow on my second visit. My colleagues were 10 minutes earlier than me and half way through breakfast. When I turned up I was asked if I wanted tea/coffee but the waiter never came back and asked me if I wanted breakfast so I had a bowl of cereal and that was it. Bar food good and recommended. Restaurant good although wine a bit pricey.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2009

We stayed for two nights recently and had a fantastic time. The Hotel is about a ten minute walk from the minster and about five minutes from the station so is in a good position. It's also very accessible from the A64. Parking is ample at the rear and they charge £10 which is a minor niggle. Our room wasn't ready on our arrival, even though it was about 2pm, but not a problem. The room itself was typical of this hotel group – large bed, walk-in shower and free-standing bath. Ample and quality toiletries. We ate in the hotels bistro, which wasn't as good as others we've tried, but pretty good. Breakfast was excellent though and cheaper than Betty's in town, once refills have been added. We had a problem with our room on the second day and after having a word at reception, we were delighted to be moved to a different (and superior) room which was a sign of the excellent management at Hotel du Vin. I wouldn't say it was cheap as extras, such as breakfast at £13.95, parking, wi-fi and a pricey mini-bar can easily add a hundred pounds to a two day stay. However, it is a lovely hotel with excellent staff and a credit to Hotel du Vin group.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple