“Excellent overnight stay.....if the bar was open.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel du Vin York

Hotel du Vin York
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in York
leeds, west yorkshire
“Excellent overnight stay.....if the bar was open.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

Having had the weekend booked as a surprise for my 40th Birthday it was the first time any opf our party of 2 couples that we had stayed in a Hotel Du Vin. From checking in and being shown to our rooms by a very friendly and efficient reception staff we were pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and quality of the finish in the bedroom and bathroom. We were both in the Minster building which is seperaqte to the main Hotel building and both rooms were quiet even though they looked out onto the main Tadacaster Road side. We booked on a Room only basis and after a meal out and drinks the previous evening we decided not to have the breakfast at additional cost. We did however have a bar lunch the previous day which we found to be adequate but no more if a little expensive.
Our one gripe was when we returned from our evening out for a couple of "nightcaps" the young barman was more interested in cashing up and when we finally got hnis attention were served drinks only for him to vanish for more than 45 mins. When we asked for another round of drinks he matter of factly told us the bar was closed......and of he dissapeared again. Anothe rparty of more than 6 came in after this to be dissapointed.

Overall a really nice stay in a really top notch boutique hotel slightly spoiled by a lack of customer service in the bar......it would not stop us stopping here again though.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

Stayed in Hotel Du Vin in York for one night. Really lovely hotel. Staff very friendly.

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived but we dropped our bags off and wandered round the city. When we went back later our bags had been taken up for us. The room was modern, clean with a very comfortable bed. The shower was excellent and bathroom really nice.

Location of the hotel was good, just a short walk to town.

We didn't eat in the hotel but we had drinks after dinner one night and we were impressed - the drinks menu is very extensive and the bar staff were very helpful when choosing a beer for my partner. We had breakfast at the hotel as it was included in the package I bought and it was delicious.

I would thoroughly recommend the hotel - we had a lovely stay and will definitely be trying out other hotel du vin hotels.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

I have just returned for a two night stay here with my husband for our anniversary. We stayed in the room - "Balfour" which had a fab roll top bath in the room with a TV you could swivel on it's axis to watch in the bath or in bed - bliss!! We travel a lot and had been recently moaning about service in the UK, this hotel and it's staff have restored our belief that you can get excellent customer service in the UK. From check -in, to breakfast, the service was wonderful. The guy running the bar was brilliant, he'd only been there a month and yet was so knowledgeable and friendly. It was lovely chatting to him about the spirits and we learnt lots of new things about our usual drinks. We ate in the restaurant on Sunday night and it was perfect, a complimentary glass of champagne for our anniversary, perfect food, highly recommend the pear salad, steak and cheese board - amazing. Somallier recommended a fab bottle of red too - Cabernet Franc - the entire service was friendly, relaxed and professional. We had a wonderful time at this hotel and would not hesitate to stay here again. Fab Fab Fab - look at the quirky chandallier on the main staircase too!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

I recently used the hotel for my wedding day and it was the best day of my entire life. The Staff are friendly and approachable and made me and my husband relaxed. The Food was outstanding and my friends and family we all impressed. Thank you to everyone and the manager especially who took the time to meet and talk to all my family and guests. Keep doing what you do! Its magic.

• Stayed May 2010
stockport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

We stayed here in april on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal.
Our room was the loft suite and it was MASSSIVE. 8ft wide bed, wet room shower area with two showers, and a massive roll top bath for two. Perfect for a romantic getaway.
The food in the restaurant was lovely, and we really recommend the cheese board.
I only have one slight criticism, and it's the (gentle?)man from the restaurant who i can only guess is the maitre d' was quite rude- our original dinner reservation was lost, and he wouldnt offer me my original booking time, when we did arrive for our meal, it was hardly busy so why not??? and the following day at breakfast i requested some skimmed milkfor my cereal, he said he would 'ask the kitchen' but he never returned!
So a little niggle on what was a really really lovely evening.
I will definately return again, but i will get my dinner reservation confirmed via email and take my own milk!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

No fancy-shmantz lobby area just generous oversized bedrooms & fab spacious bathrooms. The beautiful wooden bed was dressed with quality bedlinen & a gorgeous light but warm duvet. All the furniture oozed quality as it sat in simple style against a backdrop of pleasing contemporary interior design.

We were upgraded to the Penfolds junior suite having booked a mezzanine room which was a nice surprise. It had masses of room and was very comfortable. What I love about the Du Vin concept is that they give guests what they really want at a price which is good value for what you get. Great rooms and decent bathrooms. Excellent Breakfast. Even the wardrobe felt roomy, luxurious & as non standard as you can get.

Can recommend the Bistro package which included the evening restaurant meal & breakfast. Otherwise the a la carte, though v good would have been a bit pricey. Good location. Lovely friendly staff who accommodated our many wishes with smiles. (We brought our bicycles and asked many questions!) Would love the opportunity to stay in the super size rooms with twin free standing baths if my lottery number comes up. They must be superb.

Nearly spent a third night in another Yorkshire town but was underwhelmed by the bit-too-small bedrooms at the other hotel, I knew I wanted to return home remembering the comfort of the Du Vin

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Etchingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

Stayed here for a business meeting in York. Booked into a standard room. The rooms are all named after wines/champagnes. The room size was as to be expected for a standard room. The room was very nicely decorated and quality of fixtures and fittings enhanced the ambiance. Tea & Coffee making facilities wasn't the usual instant coffee slop but ground coffee with Cafetière and Taylors Tea, also a very nice touch was a complimentary carton of fresh milk in the mini bar fridge. I didn't eat in the restaurant (fancied a curry instead) but I did have a couple of drinks in the Bar where staff were very friendly and knew their cocktails. My only criticism was that the service was a little slow at breakfast in the morning . That aside I am planning to come back to stay with my wife for a visit York - a beautiful city.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business