“Early Doors meal but no corners cut”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Olive Tree

The Olive Tree
Ranked #66 of 859 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Cheap Eats, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, View, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
York, United Kingdom
“Early Doors meal but no corners cut”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We are a group of York ladies who meet up monthly for an early doors meal . This has been one of the best for me . Yes the food was very well cooked & the servings generous but I liked the attention to detail . Cloth napkins , real roses on the table & the little candle was lit for us . All things that don't always apply to early doors set meals . Great view of Clifford's Tower on a sunny evening too . Husband wants to go now .

Félines-Minervois, France
“Good food and gluten-free bread as well!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Unusually, my second visit to a restaurant, The Olive Tree, was as good an experience as the first. To begin with, for the first time ever, we were served more olives with our aperitif than we could manage to eat. Cursed with special dietary needs, I frequently have but one choice on even an extensive menu, but not here. The waiter was happy to ask in the kitchen my detailed questions about the ingredients of his menu, and, without asking, I was served gluten-free bread with my meal. My family were all well impressed. We each chose something different.and none of us could fault our meal, We won't hesitate to return next time we are in York.

Selby, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and very good service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Ironically the only reason I stopped short of giving this an "excellent" was the fact that the service was too good (see previous, recent, reviews) Maybe the owner had read them and was, therefore, all too ready to chastise the staff in front of the clientele. OK let's pass on that and move onto the experience?

Superb food for the price and, on our visit (three adults, two small children) very attentive and very swift to cater to our requests. Great location across from Clifford's Tower and with plentiful car parking space across the road.

I thought this was an extension of "The Olive Tree" greek restaurant's in Leeds but it isn't. It markets itself as Mediterranean in cuisine which covers a multitude of options and all that we sampled were very, very good indeed. We had a fairly leisurely two hour feed and always felt comfortable, unrushed but with attention to detail - both in the food and the service.

We arrived at opening time and the first patrons to occupy a table. By the time we were ready to leave the restaurant was doing very good business. I would recommend The Olive Tree to anybody and I hope the service, on any night of the week, replicates the positive experience we enjoyed.

York, United Kingdom
“Rude and dreadful service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Very disappointing meal. Made worse by the service of staff who obviously did not care. My experience seems to be at odds with other reviews, apart from one recent one which (perhaps significantly) was only a couple of days earlier, and which echoed my own experience. Perhaps this was just a bad week, or low-grade temporary staff, but all members of our party agreed this is not what we expected, and we won't be going back.

1 Thank Alister W
Staffordshire
“Service has gone downhill big time!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Went for dinner mid week. Food has always been OK
and was on this occasion too. However the service was
diabolical. Why work there if you would rather be elsewhere?
Employ people who care.