“Lovely meal and ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Vecchia Scuola

La Vecchia Scuola
Reserve with OpenTable
La Vecchia Scuola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 860 Restaurants in York
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Groups, Kids, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: La Vecchia Scuola is a unique dining experience that can be found in Low Petergate, York very close to the Minster. An amazing restaurant set in a 300 year old Georgian building that was once York college for girls. This restaurant is now operated by new owners from February 2013. It has an innovative new menu with all food sourced locally and prepared for customer onsite.
tyne and wear
“Lovely meal and ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We have just returned from lunch and had a lovely meal. I opted for the 2 course set menu and had a very flavoursome calzone pizza with a delicious tomato sauce accompaniment, followed by a huge bannoffee pie. My partner had a lasagne from the main menu and said that was also delicious. The lunch menu has 1 course for £6.95, 2 for £9.95 or 3 for £12.95. From what we saw of eveyones meals they were all very well presented and portions were large. There were around 4 starters to choose from the special menu including bruschetta and soup. There was a good selection of mains including sea bass, pizzas and pastas and 3 choices for desert. I would recommend this to snyone wanting excellent food in a good location. We had a good view of the gardens and the side of York Minster

1 Thank TyneAndWearColumbus

Colchester, United Kingdom
“Good lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Large restaurant which generally copes well with large numbers. Set meal at lunch was good value and service fairly prompt given place was almost full. Food was pretty good - especially given the price. Only real downside was that it was quite cold inside in the rooms at the front (presumably because door was open a lot as many people came and went.)

Preston, United Kingdom
“Atmospheric and authentic Italian cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

We visited this restaurant with a group of friends and all were delighted. The building itself is wonderful; a girl's school complete with old school photographs. The building has undergone a very sensitive makeover which has created distinct dining areas.

Service was first rate and deliberately informal. The menu was fairly limited, but certainly authentic Italian. The risotto was stunning; perfectly prepared and well presented. Banoffee pie is probably not common in Italian restaurants, but it was excellent. The wine list was limited, but all the usual Italian favourites were available. We had Prosecco and Chianti Classico, and both were excellent.

1 Thank David L
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing venue & delicious food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

We were looking for somewhere to eat before going to a concert & came across this beautiful old school house. The menu looked very nice & what's more, there was a special offer of 2 courses for £9.95 for diners eating before 6.00. My partner decided on a bruschetta starter, but I had already spotted the desserts & there was no way I could resist them. The bruschetta arrived & it was piled high with a fresh tomato topping & looked lovely. For our mains, my partner had the sea bass, I had chicken in creamy marsala wine sauce & our daughter, surprisingly, went for spinach & ricotta cannelloni. They were all really delicious & was told, I had to make the cannelloni at home. (not sure if I can quite do it as well, but I'll give it a try) I was the only one to order a dessert, but somehow the rest of the table managed to dig in. The banoffee pie was probably one of the best I'v ever had. The biscuit base was so thick & crunchy, every time we cut into it, we thought the plate might break. Fresh bananas, toffee sauce & a yummy mousse to top it. Absolutely delicious. Would definitely recommend going here. The building is beautiful & the staff were all very friendly & attentive. The bill was about £37, including drinks.

1 Thank Toni H
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful experience, lovely venue, excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I booked this restaurant for 12 of us on a special night out. I couldn't have made a better choice.

We all loved the food, excellent Italian, perfectly presented and seasoned - though the puddings were far too big. There was a pianist playing who really made our evening and set the atmosphere perfectly.

The staff couldn't have been more kind and we with two courses and drinks we spent less than £30 a head. Couldn't fault it for value. I'd recommend it to anyone who is visiting York and wants to go somewhere a bit special.

1 Thank LynseyFay360