“charm and character”
Review of La Vecchia Scuola

La Vecchia Scuola
Reserve with OpenTable
La Vecchia Scuola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 909 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: La Vecchia Scuola is a unique dining experience that can be found in Low Petergate, York very close to the Minster. An amazing restaurant set in a 300 year old Georgian building that was once York college for girls. This restaurant is now operated by new owners from February 2013. It has an innovative new menu with all food sourced locally and prepared for customer onsite.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

For a great view of York Minster whilst dining this restaurant is hard to beat. there is a large glass conservatory with wonderful views across a grassy garden to this magnificent building. An ideal venue for the visitor or tourists the prices are fair, the service brisk and the food very good and with that authentic Italian flair which you hope for but which is sadly so often absent.
There are often promotions and offers and lunchtimes can be a particularly good time for a special deal. Food is freshly prepared and delicious. At certain times (Usually evenings) live piano and other music is on offer and a large black piano lives permanently in the entrance to this lovely, sensitively converted old Girl's school building in the heart of York. As the owner and many of the waiters are Italian there is a genuine continental feel and ambience to the large open seating areas as the musical voices echo around the high rooms. Italian Classic dishes are featured and it is a friendly, fun place to eat. definitely recommended as a good place to bring your friends for a taste of the historic city. They are almost guaranteed to enjoy and go away with happy memories. Prices are fair and can be especially good when offers are on. You will want to return here.

1  Thank Quixote2001

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Myself, wife and son decide to try the restaurant for lunch on the toss of a coin it was this or one down the road, glad heads won !
This place is really good value, the fixed price menu for lunch is very good, we all had something different, Steak, Sea Bass and Chicken and all were cooked very well, the service was good and the setting was really relaxing, we were in the conservatory overlooking the garden, we never felt rushed even though people were queuing to get in.
Will use the place next time we are in York
Well done to all the staff and chef(s).

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Attended this restaurant on 21st June as part of a hen night. We were one of 4 hen party groups in the restaurant at the time and this is an ideal location for such celebrations however do not be put off by this as there are quiet areas for couples where they are not subjected to this.

The service was impeccable and the food was well presented, portions were large and quality and flavour were plentiful.

Prices were reasonable, working out approx £25 per head for two courses and wine.

Live piano player also provided entertainment which added to the great atmosphere.

I would definitely recommend and return to this restaurant.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I had dinner here on a recent short break to York. We had a table in the conservatory with a lovely view of the garden. This was our first visit here and chose it based on TA reviews with the added bonus that we could also use our Tastecard. We had a pre starter of garlic bread with tomatoes, followed by a huge dish of plump mussels (me) and mushrooms in cheese sauce (OH). We shouldn't really have been so greedy to have these before our main courses as when they came, they were huge. I had the ribeye which was cooked to perfection, but unfortunately, I couldn't do it justice because I was so full from the other courses. My husband manfully worked his way through his sea bass, which he said was delicious. No desserts for us as we had no room. The service was very professional and attentive and we enjoyed our meal very much.It was nothing like any old school dinner we have ever had! I'm sure we will return, when we are next in York.

2  Thank AlwaysSeeking
Reviewed 25 June 2014

For the outside it doesn't look anything special, but when you get inside the view of the garden and the service are fabulous.

We decided on some olives whilst looking at the menu and the bowl was huge and the olives lovely. No starters to allow room for dessert! I chose the meat and veg skewers with chips and rocket salad - the meat was cooked perfectly, the veg too and were still crunchy. The chips were nice and golden and crisp as a good chip should be. Nick had the pork medallions on a bed of crushed potatoes with spring onions and spinach and pine nuts and said it was lovely too. He also helped me finish my skewers as the portion was too big for me.

For dessert I had Lemon and lime pannacotta with a shot of limoncello and Nick had espresso ice cream in a chocolate cup with a shot of Baileys. Both were a great end to a great meal. No room for coffee and the bill was very reasonable considering give shared a bottle of wine too.

Would recommend to anyone and we will be visiting again.

1  Thank janetheo