“Operating for 370 years! How many pubs have been a hospital, morgue, stables, inn, brewhouse & supply of local water?”
Review of Ye Olde Starre Inn

Ye Olde Starre Inn
Ranked #80 of 874 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Trinidad
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stopped into Ye Olde Starre Inne for a drink in the evening being lured by the narrow passage entrance off Stonegate.

It looked quite old and turns out it is one of those permanent fixtures in the historic York area near The Shambles, being established here in 1644! Over its 370 year history it has been a hospital, morgue, inn, brewhouse, stables, posting house (for changing coach horses) and of course a public house.

There is a small courtyard out front from which you can see one of the York Minster towers. Supposedly, there is a strange acoustic feature of the yard associated with that tower. Apparently in favourable weather conditions, you can stand in that tower and hear conversations of the people standing in the courtyard! Pretty weird considering it’s a 5-minute walk or about 160 metres as the ‘crow flies’ over many rooftops!

Another critical role of the Starre Yard was the supply of water to the town. Apparently the well located in the yard was the only source of fresh water for generations of York residents!

The pub is charming on the inside - small and cosy with lots of nooks to sit within. We loved the stained glass panels near the entry! Service was good here and the ambience was enjoyable. It’s a lovely place for a romantic rendezvous or a quiet drink.

• Visited October 2013

• Thai first
Cheadle, United Kingdom
“Very poor service”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

My husband wanted a beer and I only wanted a coffee. The young barman said he would bring the coffee over. I sat there and I sat there and still no coffee arrived. My husband had finished his beer by now so I went to the bar to ask if I could have my money back and the lady said I could but in the meantime the barmaid went into the kitchen and brought a cold cup of coffee out and tried to give it me but I insisted on and received my money back.
While we were in there a family with children came in for a meal only to be told that children were not allowed in the bar which is fair enough but I couldn't see any signs anywhere to say that this was the policy and obviously neither had the family

1 Thank Anne1237511
Easingwold, United Kingdom
“Good pub grub and very reasonably priced for centre of York”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We dashed in out of the rain and luckily were able to get seated and served quickly. Our companions were in a bit of a hurry and the food was ordered and arrived quickly.
At first sight the menu looked like it was going to be microwaved chain type food but it certainly wasn't. One of our party had a huge chunk of roast beef which was more like braised steak but very tasty, all the veg were nicely cooked and hot and we even got a spare Yorkshire pudding as one of our younger members wanted one with her pie!
All in all a good experience and very good value. I would certainly go again.
Staff could not have been nicer or more helpful, thank you.

• Visited July 2014
Etten-Leur, The Netherlands
“Average food nice pub”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

A lovely old pub set in one of the small back streets in york. Very easy to find as there is a big sign arched over the street. Me and the wife both had the roast with yorkshire pudding. Big fat piece of meat like a steak and a little chewy. Roast is normally thiny sliced. Not sure if the mash was real potatoes or if they used instant mash?? I would eat here again because I liked the pub, I wouldn't chose the same meal though. Prices are very resonable.

“Interesting”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We wandered around York to find somewhere to eat. First the building is interesting. My wife had a pie which was fine. I had some odd "korean" salad which was not OK. York is a great city this pub is worth a visit but choose carefully.