“Awful”

L' antica Locanda
Ranked #231 of 860 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: L'Antica Locanda is a unique, culinary Italian experience not to be missed. Situated as it is on The Shambles in the heart of the City of York, this restaurant has been established for over ten years. Its menu offers an unusual variety of Italian dishes, some of them specialities of Puglia and Sardinia. The atmosphere is about as Italian as you can get and the cosy upstairs restaurant area provides a welcome relief from the hustle and bustle of the busy Shambles, with Italian music and a superb decor transporting the diner straight into 'a piece of Southern Italy'.
UK
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2008

I booked a table for four at 7.30 I am generally a regular at this restaurant and have enjoyed my time until this actual evening.

We waited 2 hours to eventually be seated, there were many people waiting downstairs. We were plied with drink whilst waiting downstairs without any food which is not good, I am sure people looking from the outside thought it was a bar as all the tables are upstairs.

They had ran out of the specials, so I opted for the seafood salad all I can say is that it was swamped in oil and was not at all fresh more it had come out of a tin of some sort.

Not at all impressed and will not be returning.

uk
“horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2008

we visited due to the tripadvisor reviews.. on my 30th birthday..

We were greated by a friendly owner? and then it seems we were left in bad hands

we sat by the window and it took an age for anyone to come and take our order.

I started with the grilled vegetables, these it seemed were grilled a long time ago and placed in a jar of oil. I ended up having oily cold old vegetables.

My partner had prawns - recommended by the owner as he wasn't serving mussles that night. The prawns came with mushrooms - sorry the mushrooms came with prawns!

For my main I order pasta with mushrooms - I requested that some gorgonzola be added - the sauce for my dish was supposed to be garlicy, creamy etc etc. I was given rubbery pasta with mushrooms.. not a trace of garlic, cream or gorgonzola in sight. Most was left.. all would have been left had I not been so hungry.

My partner was supposed to have pasta with anchovies etc...
There were no anchovies but broccoli had made an appearance!!. The meal was anything but what it was advertised on the menu.

We decided not to order pudding and asked for the bill... several times. It took around 40 minutes to get the bill, once we had the bill in our hands, we then had to make our way to the till point as again we were left wondering.

The owner then put the card in the machine, typed in how much we owed and then disappeared downstairs.. after a couple of minutes we decided to complete the transaction ourselves by printing out our own receipts and his copies. We handed them to the waiter as we left, we found the owner downstairs chatting to his friends.

He asked how did we find this restaurant, we said trip advisor.. to which he laughed saying how tripadvisor was doing all his advertising for him. We told him we would put a review on.

We were at the restaurant for around two hours for two courses and there were only another 4 tables in use. No one else came in.. maybe they knew what we didn't!

All in all having eaten at some fantastic Italian restaurants including ones in Italy I would be wrong to recommend this "restaurant" to anyone. If you do decided to go to this restaurant please take this review on board. The review is not to be rude but it was truely awful and spoilt a fantastic day I had already had celebrating my 30th birthday.

2 Thank cat5716
Cumbria
“Excellent Italian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2008

Excellent Italian food.
We have been going to this restaurant after going to York races for the past 4 years and the standard never falters.
Beautiful food from a tiny kitchen. Service always exceptional.
Highly recommended.

Thank H.Tucker
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Better than average Italian food, great building.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2008

Better than average Italian food, great building.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Excellent cosy Italian place with a great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2008

Excellent cosy Italian place with a great atmosphere

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook