“L'antica la fantastik”

Ranked #240 of 874 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: L'Antica Locanda is a unique, culinary Italian experience not to be missed. Situated as it is on The Shambles in the heart of the City of York, this restaurant has been established for over ten years. Its menu offers an unusual variety of Italian dishes, some of them specialities of Puglia and Sardinia. The atmosphere is about as Italian as you can get and the cosy upstairs restaurant area provides a welcome relief from the hustle and bustle of the busy Shambles, with Italian music and a superb decor transporting the diner straight into 'a piece of Southern Italy'.
york
“L'antica la fantastik”
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Excellent food and staff and this walm welcoming eatery.
i have eaten at this restaurant several times luncd and evening and have never been dissapointed. fresh pasta is amazing and during the lunch time specials is a great price.
The wide range of fine wines to cater to everyones needs is unbelievable.
great place for romantic evenings also group booking.
i would highly recomend this restaurant to anybody for a true italian experience

2 Thank bexblack

Wakefield, West Yorkshire
“Buonissimo !!”
Reviewed 7 July 2009

Having read some of the less than flattering reviews of this restaurant, my friends and I entered this charming little place with some trepidation and am happy to say were very pleasantly surprised. The food was freshly cooked ( we know as we could see the lone chef in his kitchen, which was really clean), delicious and reasonably priced .The only small criticism would be that the head waiter was a little less than attentive to us as he was busy schmoozing with his regulars. Over all with 3 starters, mains ,2 desserts, coffee and a bottle of Prosecco, the bill was less than £ 80. Would definitely go again.

1 Thank Steangela
york
“Tasty food, nice atmosphere, slow service.”
Reviewed 5 July 2009

This is in the shambles in York, the most visited tourist street in the city so I wasn't expecting much in the way of authentic Italian. The main restaurant is upstairs and is very small but charming. The atmosphere was pleasant and livened somewhat by the chirpy waiter who was a bit of a crowd pleaser. Lobster risotto was really tasty and at £10.95 not the cheapest but I was happy to pay for nice food. Tortellini was just as nice and a bit cheaper. The only problem was that it took nearly an hour to arrive, by which time we had already drunk a bottle of wine (£15) and a beer and didn't really fancy starting on another wine before eating. Overall, the food was fresh and tasty, the atmosphere was one of a proper family run restaurant, if the food had come out a bit quicker it would have been perfect.

York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food... but please, no tourists”
Reviewed 19 June 2009

We love this restaurant. It is a lovely, quiet spot that serves wonderful fresh food in friendly surroundings. The waiters have lots of character. You could almost believe you were in Rome!!!!!!!

I had the spaghetti Bolognese, an old family favourite. And they make it taste so authentic! And my husband had fish, which was served whole, with the head on and everything! So it was lucky the waiter was there to help fish (haha!) out the bones!!!

But it is such a small restaurant and our experience was completely ruined by a group of American tourists who took over the restaurant, swearing, talking on their mobile phones and laughing so loud I could hardly hear myself think!!!

I wish these people would stick to MacDonalds, and leave lovely restaurants like this one for us locals who want to escape from the tourist HELL of the Shambles!!!!

1 Thank York_Couple_9
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Rudest "service" we have EVER experienced, anywhere!”
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I have lived in York for five years until I moved recently, and have been to most of the nice dining spots. This is most definitely NOT one of them - it needs to be avoided at all costs if you wish to preserve your sanity and dignity. In fact, our experience on Saturday night really was the worst example of "service" and manners any of our party of five had ever experienced.

A friend of mine had booked us a table for four at 8.45. We turned up on time with another friend and asked if the owner could fit an extra one in. The response was, on reflection probably just his poorly judged attempt at humour. But the way he "joked" about his understanding of "English versus Glaswegian" had extremely strong undertones of him accusing us of trying to tell him we had booked for five, not four. All we wanted was to bring an extra friend to eat. As they say, you only get one chance to make a first impression. Ours was, unanimously, "How rude!".

Anyway, he said he should be able to sort it out in "5-10 minutes". 20 minutes later, we were still waiting downstairs, having repeatedly asking the lady behind the bar if we could have drink. It really was a dry old do as nobody wanted to look after us even to that extent. She kept referring us to her boss, who was obviously busy upstairs. Quite what her function in the restaurant was we couldn't really guess. Her social skills and service philosophy as "front of house" seemed to be "why should I care?".

Eventually the manager came downstairs. We ordered a bottle of Barolo, and he went away. He returned another five minutes later (now about 25 minutes into the event), with a bottle of something else. He was very persuasive and pushy and said that he could serve us the Barolo, but the wine he had was much better (read: he's got plenty of it to shift), and it would "save us a couple of quid". Yes, he really said that... effectively "Have the £25 bottle I want you to have instead of the £27 one you wanted". So either we were too uneducated to choose our own wine, or too poor to afford Barolo. Either way, another insult - and definitely no failed attempt at humour this time.

The wine wasn't bad to be fair. Then again, anything would have been quite drinkable after we had waited for half an hour! And we were of course most grateful to be saving 40 pence a glass compared to the Barolo we had ordered, I can tell you. Anyway, yet another 10 minutes went, and a request to the lady behind the bar to see when we could sit down (to which her actual response was "it's not my problem" - I quote!!!).

You've probably guessed by now what happened next. Once we had scraped our jaws off the floor at this womans rude and dismissive remarks, we finished our wine, put £25 on the bar and left. As you could imagine, the owner couldn't understand where he had gone wrong - he's clearly been treating customers like this for some time and they keep coming back. Someone really needs to explain to him that the are different customers who come back, and only because his restaurant is on the Shambles!!

There was no point in being rude back to him, so with as much dignity as I could muster, I explained to him when and how many times he and his surly assistant had gone wrong that night, and we made our way to Strada where we had a lovely meal. The only plus point for us in the whole sorry proceedings was that as he remonstrated with me (whilst I tried to politely but firmly explain why we were leaving and would never ever be back) he thrust the £25 back at me with an Italian swear word which I vaguely recognised. I'm not sure whether he expected my hand to move that fast, but less than a second later, the £25 was back in my pocket and we were on our way.

This was truly the most amazing experience I have had in a restaurant since I can remember. The food may have actually been OK had we stayed to find out - who knows. All I will say is if you want to chance it, take a really big bag of patience, some emotional body-armour and a really good sense of humour. The people there really do not deserve anybody's custom. And if it actually is abuse you are after, head to the Comedy Club at City Screen on a Sunday night, wear a silly hat and sit on the front row instead. They do nice wine there too.

3 Thank Masooon