“Good value for money”

Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in York
London
“Good value for money”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We arrived at Hotel 53 early with the intention of leaving our luggage at the hotel. After sitting in the pleasant reception we were nicely surprised when the receptionist came up to us and gave us our room keys. We stayed in a family room which was a good size. The shower room was very clean and pleasant, athough there was a musty smell in the shower which disappeared in when in use. The room was a good size for four (2 adults and 2 children) and the king size beds were very very comfortable, my eldest daughter said that the sofa beds were bigger and much more comfortable than Premier Inn beds. The breakfast was good and there was an exellent selection. Overall the is good alternative to Travel Lodges and Premier Inn. The location was great, our room was clean, the beds were comfortable, staff were very helpful and pleasant. We would stay again and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

In a nutshell, lovely contemporary hotel, good breakfast, fab location. Shame about the parking though, over the road for £10 which is a little steep. Mishap with the rooms when we arrived but the room we ended up with was spacious with a bath, shower and lovely king sized bed. We will be returning to York and hotel 53.

• Stayed January 2012
Reviewed 3 May 2012 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend recently spent 2 nights at the hotel 53 and we loved it. The location is great and the rooms are clean and tidy with a comfy bed and nice bathroom. There was a fire alarm at 7.30 am on pur final day and no member of staff really let us know what was happenig, also £10 per day cost of paking seems abit steep. All in all I would recommend this hotel and would deffinatly stay there again!!

• Stayed May 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The location was excellent, clean tidy room, the breakfast was good, and the restaurant staff were very friendly,....but those are the only positive things.

Upon booking in, the girl on reception was hardly what I would call friendly, and certainly did not make you feel welcome. We dropped our bag in the room and headed out. When we returned to our room after spending time in York, we were surprised to hear a baby crying, There was a connecting door between the rooms, but a single door which did no keep sound out, Not only could we hear the crying baby, we could hear what the people next door were saying. I returned to reception to see if there was a possibility to change rooms, the same receptionist said the only other room would be noisier and " basically you are better off having a crying baby next to you". Needless to say we did not have a good sleep listening to a crying baby on several occasions throughout the night.

The same receptionist was on the desk the following morning, and still did not seem to be very friendly or customer focused. Later that afternoon after spending the day in York, I returned to collect our stored luggage, and I am pleased to say there was a different receptionist, and what a contrast- she was friendly and smiling.

i would not stay at this Hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kimbozz
hotel53york, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Thank you for your comments.

I am genuinely very sorry to hear that you felt the receptionist was neither friendly nor welcoming,
and, given that we had an alternative room available, I do believe you should have been given the opportunity to assess the room for yourself and decide whether this was more suited to your needs. Rest assured, I will be launching an internal investigation in to the issues you have raised and remedial action will be taken accordingly.

The room you were allocated for your stay was, seeemingly, a room containing an interconnecting door which, only when unlocked from both sides, provides room-to-room access between the rooms. Whilst we accept that these rooms do not provide quite the same level of sound insulation as the majority of our rooms, we do not believe the difference to be as significant as you claim.

In addition, whilst we always do our utmost to preserve a peaceful atmosphere for the benefit of all Hotel53 guests, we do ultimately rely on all of our guests to be conscious and courteous of the presence of other guests to achieve this and when this is evidently not the case, actively encourage guests to inform staff immediately - so that we have the opportunity to rectify this at the time.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We were only staying for one night midweek - thank goodness! First hiccup was the fact that a bus load of Americans had just arrived and the staff were using the one and only lift to take their luggage to their rooms which meant we had to wait for ages to use the lift to the 3rd floor.
The problem wasn't the room which was fine, small but clean & tidy. The problem was the very poor soundproofing. We could hear the lift going up & down, people going up & down the stairs and most irritatingly next doors tv which we could hear as well as our own!

At around 7 am the following morning we were woken by loud voices in the corridor outside discussing the fact that the door to one of the rooms couldn't be opened with the key card. After talking about it at some length and rattling the door handle around for some time a ?handyman/locksmith was summoned and spent nearly an hour trying to fix it. We did not know if a guest had been locked out of their room or not but even if they had, SOME attempt to keep the noise down would have been appreciated. My husband gave up in the end and went out - at 8am!

The room cost £80 through booking.com (no breakfast)

Room Tip: take earplugs!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YorkshireWildthing
hotel53york, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for your comments.

We do, admittedly, use the lift to assist with the transfer of baggage from the Ground Floor of the hotel to bedrooms located on upper floors. However, had you intimated that you would like use of the lift during this time, we would have been more than happy to pause this process.

I'm very sorry to hear that you considered the level of soundproofing in the bedroom you were allocated to be 'very poor', but, had you brought this to our attention at the time, we could have looked to move you to an alternative bedroom located in what we would usually consider to be a quieter area of the hotel.
Bangkok
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I was there on April 2012 with my family for leisure. When I was entered to the hotel, decoration look modern. The room is clean even it is small.
to compare the price with room charge, it is suitable.....
I like that I can borrowed Laptop to go on internet.
My room wasn't included breakfast but the recieptionist gave me voucher for breakfast which is cheaper. Once I went to restaurant, I told the hostess that I have coupon for breakfast but still charge me with normal price..... finally, I show her my coupon then she void the charge for me.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
hotel53york, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank you for your comments.

I am pleased to hear that you believe us to represent value for money, that you were able to make use of our free-of-charge laptop usage service and enjoy your discounted breakfast in the restaurant.
Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

Unfortunately the first impression of this hotel was a smelly encounter with the personal hygiene issues of front desk. The room was small and seemed to have the thinnest walls, broadcasting every squeak from my neighbours. View of a brick wall and a window with a sign on it saying it was illegal to open more than a crack, which is factually inaccurate. Clean comfy bed didn't really make up for the shortcomings.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Keepthecork
hotel53york, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Thank you for your comments.

I am very sorry to hear to hear of your supposed 'smelly encounter with the front desk', however, if this was truly the case, I am supremely confident that this was an isolated issue. As you can see from a number of previous reviews, most guests are very complimentary about our Front of House staff.

The bedroom windows, as you will find with most public buildings, do have restrictors - this is to help avoid potential accidents and ultimately ensure the safety and wellbeing of all of our guests.