“Good hotel spoilt by indifferent staff”
Review of Hotel 53

Hotel 53
Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Hotel 53 is well situated just on the edge of the tourist centre of York and is a modern, purpose built hotel. The rooms are stylish with quality toiletries. So far so good but it was let down by indifferent staff. My key card did not work and it took 3 trips back to reception before a porter opened my door using a master card and I had to wait a further 20 minutes before he came back with a new card. He promised to come back in 15 minutes but didn't. Then I had to argue my way into breakfast despite having confirmation that I was on a bed and breakfast rate. It was the hotel's fault and again there was no apology. I travel to York on business and won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,864)

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Spent 2 nights here with my partner, not realising that there was some kind of horse racing event on.
We were taken to our room, with the window wide open and freezing cold. After we settled into the room, I began putting my toiletries into the bathroom, when to my horror I noticed blood on the outside of the toilet bowl. I immediately called reception, who arranged for maintenance to come and clean it up. The man used my towels that were placed in the bathroom and left me with water all over the floor. Later that night I had a shower and found that the drain was blocked and I was standing in about 3cms of water. Again called reception and said I was not happy and requested for another room, to be told that they are fully booked because of this horse racing event.
During my two nights sleep in this hotel, I did not get a wink of sleep, people outside were partying all night and staff decide to empty their bottle bins early in the morning to be suddenly woken up from the sound of crashing glass bottles.
Sadly disappointed

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
hotel53york, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Thank you for your comments.

I am very sorry to learn that you considered the room to be 'cold' on arrival. We do admittedly, open the windows for a short period of time to allow air to circulate. However, once the window has been closed and the heater in the room has been switched on, the bedrooms do warm up quite quickly.

I'm pleased to hear that we reacted quickly to resolve the issue in the bathroom, and although we didn't have another room to allocate you, I am sure the Duty Manager will have resolved any drainage issue promptly.

I am, however, also very sorry to learn that you were initially kept awake by the 'local night life' and then woken by the empying of the bottle bins - this is not done by staff but is, admittedly, permitted after 9am. Unfortunately, as a city-centre based hotel, we are vulnerable to a low level of city-centre noise.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

This hotel is in a great location and all staff we dealt with were very friendly and helpful. There is only 1 lift which only took 4 people making for long delays when they have tour groups staying there. We tended to use the stairs most of the times. The room was very small motel style. The bathroom was good with a bath. The room was clean. Stayed in Room 506 which had 2 single beds pushed together. One of the beds was absolutely stuffed with half of it totally collapsed. We figured out this was because everyone tended to sit on that side of the bed as there was only 1 other chair in the room. We informed the staff as we were leaving and they said it would be attended to. We had one evening meal there and found it very tasty and the breakfast was fine. The best thing about this hotel was the location and the lovely staff. Take some bread and feed the ducks in the river just near the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Nice hotel in a great location. Most of the staff efficient and friendly, apart form room service, will stay there again if in the area. One thing I really missed was a safe in the room, I had to carrry my i pod and ton ton all the time in my hand bag! My first trip to York and I wasn't disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Things start badly as you have to pay for your entire stay when you arrive (as the hotel have your credit card number I don't see any reason to pay when you arrive. Otherwise they shoud ask for prepayment when you book the room). I took of their brochure with photos more appealing than the reality, so I was disappointed to see the quite ugly corridors and the basic room (modern room with a large bed but nothing noticeable).
Small plasma TV, and a comfortable bed with average quality linens.
Breakfast was also basic (continental breakfast), with poor choice: cereals, grapefruit, bread, and nothing else.

Hopefully the location is good, a few minutes walking from the center, just behind the castle museum and Clifton tower.

Overall it's not such a bad hotel, but it's an avevage basic modern hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2012

A group of us stayed here recently for a birthday celebration, booking well in advance by telephone. Firstly, we were never sent a booking confirmation - neither by email nor post. The week before our stay, a couple of members of the group pulled out last minute due to illness & a family bereavement. Upon liaising with the Hotel to resolve this, we found them to be extremely unhelpful, saying their standard cancellation policy did not apply to group bookings. Not only were we never told this when we booked, but we were never even told what their standard cancellation policy was. During this same week, we also discovered that the Hotel had reduced its rates meaning we actually paid twice what we could have, and for booking early (usually you expect to pay less when booking in advance). In addition, the Hotel's Booking Conditions cannot be readily found on the website (if at all) and are not displayed anywhere obvious in the Hotel itself (Reception, Rooms, nowhere). On the day of arrival, 8 of us were all arriving at different times, and the first 2 were asked to pay for everybody up front - some £800! Obviously this was impossible and after some negotiation with staff who seemed unwilling to help or care at best, we were told that we could pay but everyone else needed to pay first thing in the morning. We could not understand this at all, especially as the accommodation had been guaranteed with a credit card so if there had been any funny business the Hotel could have just charged the card. Unfortunately, we were late leaving the Hotel in the morning for a pre-booked venue in the City and hence forgot to settle the bill. When we returned later that afternoon, we found that the room that was paid for had had it's electronic key blocked, but the 3 unpaid rooms keys were working fine. We were informed by an abrupt and rude Receptionist this was because we had not settled the bill. I said "but you've blocked the room that is paid for" and she unblocked my key card insisting that everyone else pay before the leaving the Hotel later that evening. We settled the bill that evening. The rooms are modern but for the price you pay you do not get anything more than standard (tea & coffee, dressing table & chair, TV, beds) and there are no wardrobes, just hangers on a rail. I would definitely not stay here again nor would I recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank itscrisp
hotel53york, Owner at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

It is clear that these comments are both substantially incorrect and largely driven by the fact that these guests were disappointed at having paid more for their pre-booked accommodation than the price available just prior to their arrival.

Firstly the guests were fully aware of the hotels 48hr cancelation policy, which was made totally clear on booking. It is also clear from our records that they did not call us a week prior to their stay – it was, in truth, less than 48 hrs prior to arrival and therefore outside of the free cancellation period.
The aim was to cancel the total booking and rebook at the reduced rate. It has also not been pointed out, that even though they were outside the free cancellation period, we did cancel one room at no charge as these guests were clearly unable to visit York.

Secondly, the reason why we initially asked the first two guests to pay for all the bedrooms was because they requested the keys for all the bedrooms. However in an attempt to be helpful we agreed to issue all the room keys although we only received payment for two. The agreement was then made that the other guests would pay for their bedrooms on arrival later that evening. In any event, no payment was forthcoming that evening or indeed the following morning, and although (as pointed out) we had details of one credit card, this by no means guarantees any available credit let alone £600 to cover the cost of the other bedrooms.

Finally, having not received payment or any contact from the guests by late the following afternoon we did block access to the organiser’s bedrooms, because we had, in good faith issued all the bedroom keys to them, it was these guests we wished to contact in the first instance.

In my opinion this review is a blatant attempt to falsely tarnish the reputation of Hotel53.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

Just back from a one night stay at the Hotel 53 in york. Found this to be a nice clean hotel with small but very comfortable rooms. Staff polite and helpfull.
Breakfast was included in our stay and was buffet style and very tasty with plenty to choose from. Only minus point as i had read on thid forum before our visit was the parking over the road from the hotel....very tight spaces. Parked my car in a end space but realised if anyone parked next to me it would have been impossible to gain entry into my vehicle,managed to find another space in the covered section which did have a bit extra room but not many of those about. Would use this hotel again very clean and comfortable but parking is a worry.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends