“Modern Hotel, Great Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel 53

Hotel 53
Ranked #31 of 45 Hotels in York
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Modern Hotel, Great Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

This hotel is very clean and modern, in the perfect location for exploring york. It is only a 5-10 minute walk to all the amenities and restaraunts. The staff are friendly and polite. The room was relatively basic however it had all the requirements needed for a weekend break; it was clean and had a pleasant decor. The tv had a wide range of channels, the shower was great and so was the size of the bed!!! The towels are also nice and fluffy! It was also handy having a secure car park directly opposite, which was £20 for two nights. We would definately stay here again and would recommend others to stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012 via mobile

This hotel had a nice feel about it, like it was trying to make an effort. The staff were friendly and the reception and bar area was fresh and inviting. The room itself was clean and had a little bit of character that is often missing in many modern hotel rooms.
Yorks attractions are in easy walking distance and across the road is a Wetherspoons (which I usually dislike but this was a good one).
My only gripe was The depressing view. My window was just above a roof with noisy air vents sticking out. I kept the blinds closed to deal with this and as I was only staying for one night and was not in the room much this was not a big problem.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Global_Traveller_a-z
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

• Hotel is central
• All members of staff that we encountered were excellent. All were really helpful and cheery.
• Clean adequate sized room.
• The beds were made with clean white Egyptian linen. Beds were very comfortable (even though the beds were a little high for a small one like me!)
• The towels were fluffy
• Plenty of tea ,coffee, milk sachets and biscuits. Kettle worked fine.
• Tele worked fine, plenty of stations to choose from (freeserve)
• Shower excellent.
• The breakfast was excellent – grilled bacon etc – no usual oil residue that is so often seen in hotels. There were also plenty of staff on hand to serve you. You also have the continental breakfast on hand.

However there are a few ideologies that this hotel is lacking for the price they charge. £140.50 for one night for 2 persons in a twin room with breakfast incl is overpriced for this hotel.
The reason why, is this hotel looks as if it has been built quickly – unfinished, calculations of windows etc are wrong- windows don’t fit to the outside - you can see the brick work. There has been no thought to detail. Maximum profit comes to mind.
• Hotel car park is not adequate for the amount of patrons the hotel serves. (They also charge for their carpark) We arrived at 2pm and the carpark was full – we had to park on Peters Street 400yds away at a price of £11.90 – although Sundays are free parking.
• Hotel is like walking into ‘Ikea’ – Clinical/basic
• Bar area is very quiet – no soft music playing – you could hear a pin drop!
• No paintings/pictures on bedroom walls and not many elsewhere
• View from the window was not inviting when all that was seen is a roof and kitchen fans. There was many rooms overlooking this roof.
• Rooms have the number written with a pen on the door - gods knows why this was?
It’s a shame really as this hotel have an excellent lot of staff thus this hotel could be a lot better if they made it look more appealing and inviting. I doubt I would go back to this hotel as it doesn’t have that lasting appealing experience as so many hotels in York or elsewhere have.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012 via mobile

Having arrived late all we wanted to was get to our room and chill out, the man on reception was not very welcoming, more concerned about manning the bar and getting rid of us rather than introducing the hotel facilities to us, after paying the £30 pre-auth charge (no mention of this when booking online) he gave me the paperwork to sign, once signed he looked at me blankly as if to say "what else do you want?" would have been helpful for him to give me the key to the room with the paperwork, so not the best start!

When entering room 319 and closing the door behind me, I attempted to lock the door but the lock was just turning, having looked at the door lock I noticed black duct tape covering the lock!! Obvious pathetic attempt to repair the door.

The 2nd issue with the room is the awful attempt at the room cleaning. My fiancee noticed the tea tray had not been cleaned and there were white stains all over it and one of the teaspoons was sticky and dirty. A black plastic hanger was left hung up that obviously wasn't a hotel hanger and an empty crisp packet was left on the shelf above the hangers.

When checking out I raised my concerns to the receptionist about the door lock and the poor cleaning in the room, did not listen the first time so had to repeat myself, he seemed uninterested and not bothered.

Me and my fiancée have stayed in the same hotel on two previous visits to York, we thought we would have a change and try hotel 53, big mistake! Will not stay here again

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
hotel53york, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Thank you for your comments.

I am genuinely very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the quality of the customer service you received from the 'man on reception' - it certainly doesn't sound reflective of our usual customer service standards.

It is, admittedly, Hotel53 policy to pre-authorise a credit or debit card for £30 to ensure funds are available to cover any incidentals or charges that may be incurred during your stay. However, should you not wish to provide a pre-authorisation of a credit or debit card, we can, alternatively, accept a cash deposit of £30 which would be refunded in full when checking-out (providing no incidentals or charges have been incurred during your stay).

The main bedroom door locks do automatically lock upon exiting the room and can only be re-opened with a specifically assigned keycard. The additional deadbolt locks on the inside of the bedroom doors you refer to have been decommissioned - on advice taken from our fire safety officer in the interests of the safety and wellbeing of all our guests.

I am also disappointed to learn that you considered the room to be dirty and rest assured, have used this very review as a prompt to remind all housekeeping staff of the standards of cleanliness we expect here at Hotel53.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Check in was quick and simple, staff were very polite. Room was nice but fairly basic, a few more plug sockets wouldnt go a miss! Shower was fantastic! Ate in the restaurant the first night, food was what I would describe as posh which is nice if thats what you like but I'm fussy and like simple food, the calamari was very nice though! The hotel is located close to town and also just a short walk from historic sights, there was some road noise but what do you expect when you stay in a hotel so close to the centre of town! Breakfast was buffet style, was hot and reasonably fresh, I guess that's pot luck whether you manage to go down when they've just put the fresh stuff out! Checkout was quick and again staff were very polite! Overall very happy with my stay and would definitely stay again, just a shame about the weather!!

• Stayed May 2012
Maidenhead, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Hotel 53 is well situated just on the edge of the tourist centre of York and is a modern, purpose built hotel. The rooms are stylish with quality toiletries. So far so good but it was let down by indifferent staff. My key card did not work and it took 3 trips back to reception before a porter opened my door using a master card and I had to wait a further 20 minutes before he came back with a new card. He promised to come back in 15 minutes but didn't. Then I had to argue my way into breakfast despite having confirmation that I was on a bed and breakfast rate. It was the hotel's fault and again there was no apology. I travel to York on business and won't be staying there again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

Spent 2 nights here with my partner, not realising that there was some kind of horse racing event on.
We were taken to our room, with the window wide open and freezing cold. After we settled into the room, I began putting my toiletries into the bathroom, when to my horror I noticed blood on the outside of the toilet bowl. I immediately called reception, who arranged for maintenance to come and clean it up. The man used my towels that were placed in the bathroom and left me with water all over the floor. Later that night I had a shower and found that the drain was blocked and I was standing in about 3cms of water. Again called reception and said I was not happy and requested for another room, to be told that they are fully booked because of this horse racing event.
During my two nights sleep in this hotel, I did not get a wink of sleep, people outside were partying all night and staff decide to empty their bottle bins early in the morning to be suddenly woken up from the sound of crashing glass bottles.
Sadly disappointed

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments.

I am very sorry to learn that you considered the room to be 'cold' on arrival. We do admittedly, open the windows for a short period of time to allow air to circulate. However, once the window has been closed and the heater in the room has been switched on, the bedrooms do warm up quite quickly.

I'm pleased to hear that we reacted quickly to resolve the issue in the bathroom, and although we didn't have another room to allocate you, I am sure the Duty Manager will have resolved any drainage issue promptly.

I am, however, also very sorry to learn that you were initially kept awake by the 'local night life' and then woken by the empying of the bottle bins - this is not done by staff but is, admittedly, permitted after 9am. Unfortunately, as a city-centre based hotel, we are vulnerable to a low level of city-centre noise.