“Ideal Business Venue”

Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in York
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
“Ideal Business Venue”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have used this hotel for several business meetings with an overnight stay. The meeting rooms are bright, well equipped and ventilated, plenty of tea & coffee with good lunch options. There is some parking nearby but this is the only drawback.
I have also foundd the rooms to be clean and tidy although rooms at the front of the building can suffer from street noise, especially when the bottle bins are being emptied.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the building can suffer from the street noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JDKDY
hotel53york, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so happy to read that you find our meetings rooms to be bright and well equipped. We have recently expanded our lunch menu options and I am glad to read that you find the options good. We do offer free parking for delegates using our meeting rooms. I am also pleased that you find our bedrooms clean and tidy, however I would like to note that we have recently had secondary glazing installed to our front facing bedrooms to reduce the level of noise from the road. Thank you once again for your review, we look forward to welcoming you to Hotel 53 in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Had to change rooms as the first one offered was truly awful. The second was a little better but still far from clean, noisy, not especially comfortable and just generally overpriced for what it is. There are far better, more central hotels in york for the same money so why bother?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank 404tuneless
Thank you for your review, of which I am very upset to read. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not live up to your expectations. I do find it hard to believe that the first room offered was truly awful and that the second room was far from clean, noisy and not comfortable. We have a high standard of cleanliness and are regularly praised on our rooms for both cleanliness and comfort, especially our beds; however I will use your review to remind our Housekeeping department of the high standards we expect. York is a very popular destination and this does command a higher price. On the other hand, I am confident that were you to compare the price you paid for our hotel with other hotels of the same standard at the time you booked; you would find our offering to be quite favourable.
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last September with my other half. Got recommended by a close friend, paid £120 bed and breakfast which I thought wasn't a bad price however we missed breakfast!! We also paid an extra £10 for car parking which I thought was a bit to much. Our room was spacious and clean, however the view wasn't so great we was looking out onto the street and car park!! Close to yorks city centre, which is handy. Girl on reception was very helpful as we had never been to York before she gave us plenty of Information. York is a lovely city, I would stay here again :)

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
hotel53york, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for your review of your stay at Hotel 53 back in September 2013. I am so pleased you still have fond memories this far after you departure date! We do charge £10 per night for car parking, this offers a slight discount on what is offered in the pay & display section of the car park we use. Should you compare this to the prices offered by other City Centre hotels, you would find our price very reasonable. We do have a great location in the City Centre; however, this does limit the views available from our bedrooms. We are only a 5 minute walk away from the main shops and bars, and less than 5 minutes walk from the Castle Museum, Clifford’s Tower and the Jorvik Viking Centre. We do get many wonderful comments about our staff and I will be sure to pass yours on. Thank you once again for your review and we do hope to welcome you back in the future!
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Our daughter booked us in for our 32nd wedding anniversary as she has stayed here a couple of times. Wonderful room, Clean and warm. Brilliant shower, lovely staff. Even had a sofa which gave it a more homely feel. We will come back again!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Hotel 53 York. I am so pleased that your daughter booked you a room with us, and we were able to help celebrate your 32nd wedding anniversary! Many of our standard double bedrooms do have a sofa which adds a little extra comfort during your stay. I am happy to read that you wish to stay with us again, why not call us direct to receive your 10% ‘Trip Advisor’ discount?
Isle of Wight
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Very hot room, no airconditioning & window only opened small amount and let in noise. No bedside lights or tables for phone or book. One person has to stumble around in dark at night. Safety issue? Shower drain blocked, reported, looked at but no improvement and shower consequently smelt. Redeeming factor was breakfast good & close to city centre but would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simon A
Thank you for your review. All feedback is helpful to the hotel be it good or bad. I am sorry that you found your room to be very hot during your stay. Due to health and safety reasons the windows cannot be opened fully and whilst we do not have air conditioning in the bedrooms, we do provide free standing fans on request. We do have a great City Centre location, and with that does come a low level of street noise. Our bedrooms are fitted with a headboard fixed to the wall with cubby holes for dinks, phones and books. There are also light switches in the cubby hole that can turn off the main bedroom lights and also the reading lights over the beds. I am sorry to read that you reported your shower drain as blocked and there was no improvement once this had been looked at. I will ask our maintenance team to do a full review of shower drains. I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast and our location. Thank you once again for your review and I do hope that in the future, we may be able to welcome you again.
london
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Wow, was I pleasantly surprised when I stayed at this hotel. I booked it after reading tripadvisor reviews as it was my first trip to York on business and I had a business budget. Other hotels were chargin more for a king sized room or offering a poky small single for the same price. The tripadvisor travellers photos tempted me so I booked the £113 B&B rate for a king sized room.

Check in was at 3 pm. I emailed for an earlier check in and they emailed right back saying my room would be on the priority list. It is a 15-20 min walk from York rail (taxi queues were soooo long). Perfect hotel for those attending a conference at the Barbican which is literally around the corner.

The room was huge! The king sized bed was so comfortable. Usual amenities of large plasma tv, tea and coffee in room service, power shower, free wifi with good reception etc. What made this hotel stand out were the huge plush towels! Wow, no skimping on cheap towels. Also the loo paper was not flimsy but soft and substantial.

At check in, the hotel receptionist was so helpful. She handed me the free wifi instructions without even asking and a map of York with a tourist guide. She also rang to book a mini cab to pick me up and drop me off at the National Rail Museum for dinner as she advised best to book now than closer the time. Wise advice as there were others queueing waiting for a taxi at 7pm. Taxi fare was £5.10. The mini cab driver arrived promptly at 7 pm and also picked me up promptly at 10 pm! Very impressive!

No brainer, perfect stay for the business traveller to York, especially solo female!
Sitting in the restaurant having just enjoyed a hot sumptuous full English breakfast with proper fried egg instead of no choice but scrambled. Faultless. Coffee is palatable! Lots of female business travellers also travelling solo who have chosen this hotel. Free wifi even reaches the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank familyphysician
hotel53york, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay at Hotel 53 York. I am so pleased that you chose to stay with us after reading our reviews here on Trip Advisor. Whilst check-in is not guaranteed until 3pm, we often get guests arriving earlier and if a room is available at the time we will move them, if not we can store luggage until the room is ready. We are ideally situated for the York Barbican as well as the city centre which is no more than a 5 minute walk away, however for guests travelling a little further we can call a taxi. I am glad that you found our king upgrade comfortable. All rooms come equipped with the large fluffy towels which many of our guests appreciate. Thank you for your kind words about our receptionist Emma who was on shift during your stay. She is very helpful and friendly and a credit to our team! I will also pass your comments regarding breakfast onto the kitchen team who will be delighted. Thank you once again for your lovely review, we hope to welcome you back to Hotel 53 in the future!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a weekend in January. Fairly well located, but York is relatively compact. Service was good. The room itself was a bit on the small side, but the overall standard was very nice. Best thing about the room was the massive, comfortable bed. Room was quiet as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
hotel53york, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for your review of your stay at Hotel 53 York back in January. We do have a great location just inside the city walls, around a 5 minute walk to the main shops and bars, and less than that to some of York's major attractions including Clifford's Tower, The Castle Museum and the Jorvik Centre! I am glad that you found your upgraded of a king bed to be comfortable and large, the beds are more like a super king in size! Thank you once again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to Hotel 53 in the future!