“A little gem”
Review of Hotel 53

Hotel 53
Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here for my husbands birthday and we weren't disappointed the staff were great and very friendly. Brilliant location and we will definitely return. This was our first time to your and we loved it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for your kind words from your stay at Hotel 53 in May. I am glad that you chose to celebrate your husband's birthday with us in York. Our location is great, less than 5 minutes walk to the main shopping centre and even less to many of York's great attractions! We look forward to your return to York, why not book direct quoting 'Trip Advisor' for your 10% discount?

There are newer reviews for Hotel 53

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Me,my wife and 7 year son have just come back from a weekend in York.This is the second time we have stayed at Hotel 53 and have to say it is Fab!!.....The staff are polite and front of house are very helpful and with a nice smile to welcome you.The room again was brilliant ,very clean and lots of room.My son was made up to have is own "Big" bed as he put it.When ever we stay in York this will always be our first choice hotel .Well done to the management and staff at Hotel 53!!!
Kind regards
Dave Hoult and family..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay at Hotel 53 York. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much your first time that you chose to stay with us again. Our staff will be really happy to read your feedback and there will certainly be lots more smiles. We look forward to your next visit to York and to Hotel 53.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was very impressed with the facilities at this hotel and the staff were very helpful and polite. They were even able to cater for a gluten free diet, that made a very big difference to my stay. York is a beautiful city definitely would go back and I would also definitely stay at Hotel 53

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay at Hotel 53. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be helpful and polite. Each member is a credit to our team and I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments. We do keep special dietary requirements in mind when ordering stock for the restaurant. We try to always have soya milk, gluten free bread and cereals in stock for our guests so that we can prepare something different at the last moment. I am delighted that you would stay with us again on your next trip to York, why not call direct and quote 'Trip Advisor' for your 10% discount.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights on the busy Tour De France weekend having booked months ago obviously at a premium rate as York was so busy that weekend.
We were really pleased with the hotel - the rooms are standard modern hotel rooms with all the conveniences you could want. Wifi worked fine. Plenty of tea & coffee facilities.
But the best bit was that the reception/bar/breakfast staff were all so friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was great, plenty of it and always replenished quickly.
And to top it all off we were only 2 minutes walk from the Tour De France route so could just stroll outside on the Sunday morning to watch the cyclists go by! Fab!
We caught the train so can't comment on parking - approx 15 minute walk from the station and handily placed for all the York attractions.

Room Tip: Rooms high up and at the back are much quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am so glad that you were happy with your choice of hotel for the Tour De France. We had a great location for this prestigious event, with the race passing by really close, but not close enough for it to affect guest's travel to and from the hotel too much.

The hotel is designed with modern simplicity and I am happy that this suited you. Our staff will be so pleased with your comments regarding their helpfulness! They do regularly read trip advisor and I have noted a lot of extra smiles since your review has been published so thank you for your king words.

We hope to welcome you back to York in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I wrote a review last time I stayed in this hotel and one of my observations was dismissed by management, I am now staying again, not through choice, my work use a company to book our accommodation and I have encountered the same problem and have attached a photo as evidence this time, the remote control in a different room has been repaired with duck tape, I don't lie and I don't appreciate my comments being questioned. Again dissapointed

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank CAScas2013
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for your review. All feedback is helpful to the business and ensures that we continue to provide high standards within our product. I am sorry if you feel my comments to your previous review questions the legitimacy of your observation. Using duck tape on TV remotes is not a practise that we use and I was shocked to read that you found a remote with duck tape holding the batteries in place. As a result of your review, our housekeeping team have completed a full check of all TV remotes and found one single remote with duck tape. It is very unfortunate that you should be allocated a room with this same single remote on two occasions. This remote has been removed and discarded of, and the housekeeping team will now conduct regular checks of TV remotes to ensure that all damaged remotes are discarded. I am very sorry that this situation occurred twice and resulted in you feeling disappointed. I do hope that we get the chance to prove to you what Hotel 53 can offer in the future. If you wish to discuss your stay further or next time you stay please email myself at admin@hotel53.com and I will personally see that you do not leave disappointed again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I love this hotel. Really handy for work, clean throughout and good brekkie
The only detraction is the insistence on swiping £30 at check-in to account for any charges you might make. Despite me telling reception I don't take credit cards to hotels due to a theft previously it took me three 'refusals' before the receptionist finally conceded

Other than that everything about this place is bang on.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your review of your stay at Hotel 53. I am very pleased that you love our hotel and breakfast. Our housekeeping team work very hard to ensure that our cleanliness standards stay high.

We do ask for a pre-authorisation from all guests who pre-pay for their room or pay by cash on arrival. We pre-authorise £30 which can be done on a credit or debit card, this is frozen within the account and automatically released by the guest's bank within 10 working days of the original transaction date. If the guest charges anything to their account, the £30 can be used to pay for extras on departure. We do offer the option of leaving a £30 cash deposit which is refunded at check-out if a guest does not wish to leave a card. Before this policy was instated, we researched what other hotels in the area do and this proved to be a standard practise of hotels in York.

Thank you for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you to Hotel 53 in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I spent four nights here in June 2014. The location was perfect - a short walk to anywhere within the bar walls and all the major attractions. The room was very clean and tidy - though perhaps a little on the small side if you have three suitcases, but I'm not complaining about that. The bed was large and comfy, and the bathroom was clean with a great shower.

The free wifi was also a blessing and we had no problems with it. Breakfast was very good - would easily keep us going until well into the afternoon. The staff at breakfast were also very friendly and efficient, as were the staff at reception. We will definitely stay here again next time we are in York!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of your stay at Hotel 53 in June. I agree we have a great location, approximately 5 minutes walk away from the main centre, and even closer to the Castle Museum and Jovik, some of York's best attractions! I am pleased that you found your room to be clean and tidy and you enjoyed your large comfy bed! I am also pleased that you found our reception and restaurant staff helpful, each member is a credit to our team and we are all here to help and serve with a smile! Our staff do regularly read our trip advisor reviews and they will all be so happy with your comments.

I am glad that you plan to return to Hotel 53 on your next visit to York, why not call and book direct quoting 'Trip Advisor' for your 10% discount. We look forward to welcoming you back,

Kindest Regards