“Second visit”
Review of Hotel 53

Hotel 53
Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We returned yesterday from an overnight stay in York - unfortunately Friday was the wettest day of the year with spectacular thunder and lightning. Hotel53 were well prepared and had fresh towels on reception for guests coming back in dripping wet.

Our room was clean and well presented - yes it was hot but we were on a higher floor set back from the road so we kept the window open day and night. Luckily I'd taken my own toiletries as those provided weren't adequate for two people but apart from that everything was fine.

A point to note is that there's only one lift and you can wait quite a long time if you can't manage stairs.

The location is good and I would stay again on the earlybird deal as I got a price cheaper than all the booking sites by ringing the hotel direct

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loulouWashington
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Thank you for your review of your recent stay in York. The weather in York has been very changeable recently, we really were prepared for the rain having read the weather forecast that morning! I am pleased that you appreciated the towels that our newest member of reception suggested for our guests. I am sorry that you didn't find the amount of toiletries adequate for two, we provide a huge bottle of shampoo in the shower and then a smaller bottle of conditioner and moisturiser, a shower cap, soap and shoe shine, please do call to reception and we will be more than happy to provide additional bottles at your request.

Best rates are always available direct by phone, and as a trip advisor user you can even receive a further 10% discount by quoting 'Trip Advisor' when you book.

We hope to welcome you back to Hotel 53 in the future,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed here for one night in beginning of August after paying £115 for myself and another (inclusive of breakfast). Small rooms, average set up. No air con, lift temperamental and very limited selection for breakfast - what I did eat was cold, too. Definitely now worth saving a bit of bob on. Definitely feels as though you're staying in an unfinished hotel (the literature included some very obvious grammatical errors).

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review of your stay at hotel 53, all feedback is useful to the continuing development of the business. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not live up to your standards. York is a very popular destination and this does push the price of rooms up, especially during the summer months. We do have a range of offers available if you book direct. I am concerned regarding your comments about breakfast, we do have a large selection available of both hot and cold buffet items including sausage, bacon, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, beans, porridge, cereals, pastries, fruit, yoghurt, toast and more. I am sure had you mentioned to any of the restaurant staff that your breakfast was not warm enough, that they would have asked the chef to prepare fresh items for you.

Our rooms are of a standard industry size and I am sure that were you to compare our size to those of our competitors, I am sure you would find our offering quite favourable. All of our rooms are designed with modern simplicity, this is not to everyone's taste however we do provide photos on our website and all of the agents that we work with for people to view before booking.

Thank you once again for your review.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel on line as it looked nice, so disappointed. There is limited car parking on a first come first served basis, which isn't helpful in york where parking is tricky. We went told in advance that our room was a disabled room, not a problem but a surprise. But the real issue is that the room was unbearably hot, with a window that opens only a crack, enough to let in lots of noise but no air. There is no air con, which would be the only way to cope. Can't wait to check out, will never return. Spoiled lovely stay in york.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Graham T

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hotel 53 this August. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. We do have limited parking available on a first come first served basis by arrival for a charge of £10 per night. Should all of our spaces be taken on your arrival, there is ample pay & display parking available in the same car park, and also a pay & display car park behind the hotel. We have information sheets on alternative parking at reception for guests so that they can easily park, and all of our reception staff are able to advise on this too. We hope that this alleviates the trickiness of parking in York!

We do have a few double bedrooms with adapted bathrooms which we do not class as disabled bedrooms but adapted rooms. I personally love these rooms as they are at the back of the hotel, larger than our standard rooms with a feeling of space and nice and peaceful. Should you be allocated an accessible bedroom and prefer to be moved, please contact reception who will be more than happy to do this for you should we have an alternative room available.

I am sorry that you found your room hot. Whilst our rooms are not air-conditioned we do have a limited supply of fans which can be requested from reception which is detailed in the room information sheet in each bedroom. Our widows do all have locks on for health and safety reasons however, as you were allocated a room at the back of the hotel which only gets direct sun for a few hours in the morning, I am unsure how your room got unbearably hot.

Thank you once again for your review,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Booked this very late, including breakfast,very reasonable. Room comfy with a good set up for our 3 year old & sleeping arrangements, good sized, comfortable sofa bed. Bathroom a nice size with walk on shower. Only criticism would be it was so hot, which in Simmer isn't surprising, but as it was very noisy with street noise & party people, you couldn't have the windows open. Ear plugs recommended. Breakfast was great & everything you could hope for, cereal, fruit juice, toast, cooked breakfast. All self service bar hot drinks.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank classy2205

Thank you for your lovely review of your stay at Hotel 53. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found your room comfy. I do love the bathrooms here at Hotel 53, with a modern design, walk-in power shower and luxury toiletries, what more could you want? I am sorry that you found your room too hot. We have been experiencing abnormally long spells of hot weather this summer and our housekeeping team have been doing their best to cool down the rooms. We do have a limited supply of fans available on request from reception that can help to cool your room in the evening.

Thank you once again for your review, we do hope to welcome your family back soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed for one night in August 2014, two adults, a child and a baby. I paid £180 for a family room (no breakfast)
I emailed before to ensure a cot put in the room, which I was assured would be, on arrival I was told I had a double room with cot, apparently they don't have family rooms they just have doubles with a sofa bed which would be fine if this didn't mean that you then cannot walk around the room at all.
When we went up to the room, there was no cot which in hindsight I feel was done on purpose because once the cot was brought to the room there was not one inch of floor space and we had to climb over the sofa bed to get out.
The room was so unbearably hot that my husband had a wheezy episode overnight, we were given a fan but it was just noisy and blew hot air around the room. We were unable to open the window as the outside noise was so loud that the children wouldn't have slept. Even with the window closed it was loud.
These were all only little annoyances but were made a lot worse by the reception staffs response. They basically didn't care. I was told that there were no family rooms and that he room we were in was the biggest and yes you could walk around the room with the cot in, basically calling me a liar.
It's a shame as the hotel looks very lovely and was clean and central but I would not stay there again with kids as completely unsuitable and overpriced.

Room Tip: Don't take kids
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Rebecca H

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay at Hotel 53 last weekend. I can only apologise that there was not a cot in your room when you entered, this was by no means a deliberate mistake and I am pleased that our housekeeping department were able to rectify this quickly for you. We spoke at length on check-out and I mentioned my confusion to your claims of having to climb over the sofa bed to get out of the bedroom. I did not call you a liar and I am sorry that you felt I was implying this. As I promised, I did go to your bedroom after you departed and I was able to walk from one end of the room to the other without climbing over the sofa bed as there was space between the end of the sofa bed and the wall.

I am sorry that you found your room warm, we have been experiencing an unusually long period of warm weather however housekeeping have been trying their best to cool rooms down and we can provide a fan on request, I am sorry if you found this too noisy to sleep. As a city centre hotel, a low level of city centre noise has to be expected. We have recently had extra glazing fitted to all of our front facing rooms and when closed properly, the level of noise is minimal. Perhaps your window was not closed properly? Your husband did come to reception during the night and our night manager did provide a complementary bottle of ice cold water to help him cool down.

I am pleased to read that you found the hotel clean and enjoyed our central location. I do hope that you return with your husband to experience all that Hotel 53 has to offer.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We've stayed here on more than one occasion and I've always been really happy with the service and appearance of the hotel. The staff are very friendly, which I think is important especially when you have young children. Also it's a great location too. This will always be my 1st choice of hotels when staying at York.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Emma C

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay at Hotel 53. I am so happy to read that you return to Hotel 53 on your visits to York, this really shows that we are doing things right! We do regularly receive praise about our staff, they all have smiles on their faces and these smiles will be even bigger when they ready your lovely words! I do hope that you book direct and sue your trip advisor discount, call 01904 559000and quote 'Trip Advisor' for 10% off your next stay! We look forward to it.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is in the heart of York. Brilliant location. Clean hotel and the staff very freindly and attentive. A small restaurant on the ground floor where breakfast is served. Breakfast was great, plenty of it and always replenished. Good price for location. Free Wi-Fi I would not hesitate to visit again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your great review of your stay at Hotel 53 back in May! We do have a brilliant location, just 5 minutes walk into the heart of the city and even less to many of York's great attractions such as the Castle Museum, Jorvik and Clifford's Tower. We do receive lots of praise about our hot and cold buffet breakfast, there are plenty of items to keep even the fussiest of eaters happy! We do hope to welcome you back to Hotel 53, why not book direct, call 01904 55900 and quote 'Trip Advisor' for a 10% discount.