“Good hotel, great location”
Review of Hotel 53

Hotel 53
Ranked #31 of 46 Hotels in York
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, great location”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely stay here with my boyfriend for a few days away. The hotel was clean, comfortable and staff were friendly and helpful. The best thing about the hotel was the location, a short walk to all major tourist attractions and shops! A great stay and would go back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy A
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for your lovely review of your stay at Hotel 53 back in April. We do have a great location, 5 minutes walk into the main city centre shopping area, and even less than that to many of York's great attractions such as the Jorvik, Castle Museum and Clifford's Tower. I am pleased to read that you found the hotel clean and comfortable and staff friendly, our staff are a great asset to our hotel as the housekeeping team work hard each day to ensure our high level of cleanliness is kept.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel 53, why not book direct and quote 'Trip Advisor' for your 10% discount?

Rachael Alderman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here on Saturday for one night, with paying quite a high price for one night our expectations where high but overall we where a little disappointed. Parking we found was perfect just behind the hotel and not to pricey at £10 for 24 hours, Check in was helpful and the staff where kind and pleasant. The room was basic and we knew we where mainly paying more for the location as it was only a 5-10 minute walk from the centre, a nice painting or big wall mirror would have added more detail. We where put into room 510 which we thought would be lovely out the way and quiet considering we where higher, I was wrong. Unfortunately we where woken up by our neighbours who must have had small children which made quite the racket at 7.45am on a Sunday morning but I guess that's just luck. I then went to make a cup of tea with the kettle provided, it still had a little bit of water left in the bottom so I poured it into the bathroom sink which then a little bit of mould/lime scale fell out. My partner did try and lock the door before going to sleep and the lock did not work, We did mention this to reception and they advised us they where taking all the thumb locks out. We didn't understand why as we like the lock for reassurance. Overall it was a ok stay, I don't think we will return as its always the little things that matter the most.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Hotel 53. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay and the price that you paid. York is a very popular destination and this does push the price of hotel rooms up higher than our neighbouring cities. It is worth a note that we always offer best rates direct and as a trip advisor user you can receive a 10% discount on our rates. Our parking is idea for our guests at £10 per night in the car-park opposite that is locked and secure over night. Our permits are allocated on a first come-first served basis by arrival at the hotel from reception. I am pleased to read that you found our reception staff to be helpful, kind and pleasant, we do regularly receive praise for all of our staff.

Our bedrooms are designed with modern simplicity which may not be to everyone's taste, we do also have a range of photos available on our website so that guests can see what we offer before booking. I am very sorry to read about the water residue in the bottom of your kettle, I will use your review to remind our housekeeping team of the high standards that we expect. The dead-bolts on all of our bedrooms were de-commissioned due to fire and safety laws, however, once you close your door only your door key can be used to unlock your door.

I do hope that you will consider staying at Hotel 53 again,

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Didnt know what to expect after reading other reviews..basically on the plus side -》

Nice welcome, helpful & pleasant staff throughout experience, convenient car park (although £10), good location, well priced in comparison to others 'within the city walls',breakfast ok but restaurant is cramped a little considering about half full

On the bad side -》
Room was very warm particularly the bathroom this seems to have its own eco system..the outside temp nice the night we were there was around 15-18c still uncomfortable fo the 4 of us (2 adults,2 kids)
Room was small for 4 with kids being 10&11 now.
We tried to have the tilting window open all night but regretted it having to listen to the Weatherspoons occupants opposite the front below the Travel Lodge this must gave gone to around 3am & then the boiler\generator powered up at 5 "-((
If this hadnt happened we may have bumped the score up a notch..
If in the Winter you are there and dont have to listen to the street noise you MAY have a very pleasant stay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mat F
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your recent stay at Hotel 53. I am pleased that you found our team to be helpful and pleasant. Our staff do regularly read trip advisor and will be so pleased with your kind words. I agree that we do have a great location, 5 minutes walk into the heart of the city. I am sorry to read that you found your room a little warm, we do have fans available and these can be requested by contacting reception. I am a little unsure what the boiler/generator sound that you heard at 5am was, we will investigate this to ensure that this does not disturb guests in the future.

St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We as a family of two yong boys stayed on thursday ,we were very happy with our room it was clean and had great views of york staff was lovley and helpfull as it was our first trip to york they gave us maps and told us were to go.breakfast was nice lots of choice staff were nice they made our two boys hot chocolate ,thank you.to the lovley lady that made it for them my boys were happy. On checking out clare was very helpfull as we were ssying we hope to.comeback ovet next few weeks ,car was safe on car park thanks hotel 53 we hope to come back very soon .

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay at Hotel 53! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, all our reception staff do have a great knowledge of York and are always on hand to answer any questions or provide any recommendations. Our restaurant staff are also great and on hand to help with any dietary requests that you may have. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel 53 in the future.

Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in this week (August 2014). I will list out the pros and cons below:

Pros
Lovely clean hotel
Staff are all lovely
Breakfast was good
Great city centre location

Cons
Rooms are too hot. No air conditioning or fans in rooms (although they did provide one when I asked
Rooms are tiny - 1 double bed and a sofa bed. No way should they allow more than two people in the rooms as we have two adults and two children plus 2 large suitcases and you couldn't swing a cat in the room. We stayed in a Premier Inn the previous three nights and I would say it was much better.
Bed was really uncomfortable - we took our own pillows as we find we have a better sleep normally but it didn't make a difference. It was only a double bed which is unusual for hotels nowadays in my experience
£10 per night for parking but I suppose it is city centre

Would I stay again, probably not if going with the family but would consider if just my wife and I.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review of your stay at Hotel 53 this August. I am pleased to read that you found the hotel clean and found the staff friendly. Our breakfast buffet receives a lot of praise so I am pleased that you too enjoyed your breakfast! I do agree that we have a great location, about 5minutes walk into the hear of the centre.

I am sorry that you found your room too hot. We do not provide air conditioning in bedrooms however as you say, fans are provided on request. This is all written on the room information card in your bedroom. Our ground floor lobby and restaurant is air conditioned for our guest's comfort. I am also sorry that you found your room small, I am confident that were you to compare the size of our rooms to those of our close competitors, that you would find ours quite favourable. I am sorry that you found your bed a little uncomfortable. This is not something that we hear very often although I do realise that bed comfort it totally down to taste as some people prefer a soft bed and others prefer a hard bed.

Should you and your wife wish to stay again, please book direct by calling 01904 559000 and we can offer you a 10% trip advisor discount.

Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We returned yesterday from an overnight stay in York - unfortunately Friday was the wettest day of the year with spectacular thunder and lightning. Hotel53 were well prepared and had fresh towels on reception for guests coming back in dripping wet.

Our room was clean and well presented - yes it was hot but we were on a higher floor set back from the road so we kept the window open day and night. Luckily I'd taken my own toiletries as those provided weren't adequate for two people but apart from that everything was fine.

A point to note is that there's only one lift and you can wait quite a long time if you can't manage stairs.

The location is good and I would stay again on the earlybird deal as I got a price cheaper than all the booking sites by ringing the hotel direct

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loulouWashington
Thank you for your review of your recent stay in York. The weather in York has been very changeable recently, we really were prepared for the rain having read the weather forecast that morning! I am pleased that you appreciated the towels that our newest member of reception suggested for our guests. I am sorry that you didn't find the amount of toiletries adequate for two, we provide a huge bottle of shampoo in the shower and then a smaller bottle of conditioner and moisturiser, a shower cap, soap and shoe shine, please do call to reception and we will be more than happy to provide additional bottles at your request.

Best rates are always available direct by phone, and as a trip advisor user you can even receive a further 10% discount by quoting 'Trip Advisor' when you book.

We hope to welcome you back to Hotel 53 in the future,

Huddersfield
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in beginning of August after paying £115 for myself and another (inclusive of breakfast). Small rooms, average set up. No air con, lift temperamental and very limited selection for breakfast - what I did eat was cold, too. Definitely now worth saving a bit of bob on. Definitely feels as though you're staying in an unfinished hotel (the literature included some very obvious grammatical errors).

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review of your stay at hotel 53, all feedback is useful to the continuing development of the business. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not live up to your standards. York is a very popular destination and this does push the price of rooms up, especially during the summer months. We do have a range of offers available if you book direct. I am concerned regarding your comments about breakfast, we do have a large selection available of both hot and cold buffet items including sausage, bacon, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, beans, porridge, cereals, pastries, fruit, yoghurt, toast and more. I am sure had you mentioned to any of the restaurant staff that your breakfast was not warm enough, that they would have asked the chef to prepare fresh items for you.

Our rooms are of a standard industry size and I am sure that were you to compare our size to those of our competitors, I am sure you would find our offering quite favourable. All of our rooms are designed with modern simplicity, this is not to everyone's taste however we do provide photos on our website and all of the agents that we work with for people to view before booking.

Thank you once again for your review.

Kind Regards