“Crying out for Air Con”
Review of Hotel 53

Hotel 53
Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Sounds like a First World problem type of whinge but this hotel could go from good to great with air con in the rooms. Without it, bedrooms are stuffy and noisy in Summer as you have to sleep with windows open. That means city centre noise and deliveries late evening and early morning. Seems strange as hotel is a brand new building. Otherwise staff friendly and location good.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank mistermatt2015
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Thank you for your review of your stay at Hotel 53. I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and the location good. Whilst Hotel 53 does not have air conditioning in the bedrooms, we can provide free standing fans on request. I believe the night which you stayed was a very muggy night which did make the rooms a little stuffy. During the day our housekeeping department do all they can to cool the rooms and circulate air before our guests arrive. It is a common misconception that Hotel 53 is a brand new building, we are actually over 10 years old and I think that your thoughts are a testimony as to how well we look after the building and the care that is taken each January when the hotel is fully re-decorated. We do hope to be able to welcome you back in the future, why not book direct and quote 'Trip Advisor' for your 10% discount?

Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 August 2014

quality and affordability at the centre of York something not found very often. good sized rooms and polite staff at reception. easy access to York centre within walking distance. although parking can be a bit expensive we used ncp car park over night and it came to £30.00 so shop around..

Room Tip: find a good parking spot first and have a good time in York
1  Thank navaster t

Thank you for your great review of your stay at Hotel 53. I am so pleased that you were pleased with the quality and price of your room, we regularly check our rates to ensure that we are selling at the best price possible. Our reception staff are all wonderful and will be pleased to read your comments! We do have a great location for the city centre, located just within the city walls and approximately a 5 minute walk into the heart of the city, even less than 5 minutes to the Jorvik, Castle Museum and Clifford's Tower! We do provide car parking opposite the hotel for £10 per night (from arrival until 11am at check-out) so please do see us first before parking so that we can allocate you one of our limited parking bays, much cheaper than the NCP further up the road. Should all of our parking spaces be taken, the Peel Street car park located behind the hotel is the next best option with regards to price.

We hope to welcome you back to Hotel 53 again, why not book direct and quote 'Trip Advisor' for your 10% discount?

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Very good location, near the city centre (10 minutes walk) and 15 minutes walk from train station. Rooms have good size, modern furniture, and bathrooms big and all new. They have a parking lot in front of the hotel (paying an extra) which I didn't use (we went to York by train). Attention in the lobby was great (personnel always willing to explain what to do and see in the city). Only thing I can criticise is the elevated cost of food. There is a Wetherspoon across the street (especially good for breakfasts) and a Tesco (just in case) one block towards the Centre. And millions of options in the city centre.

Room Tip: Don't take front facing rooms, more noisy
1  Thank caracas1
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for your great review of your recent stay at Hotel 53 here in York! I am so pleased to read that you liked your room and the design of our bedrooms and bathrooms. Our reception and bar staff are always on hand to help with any queries or recommendations that you may require. I am sorry that you found our food prices a little high, we do feel that we offer good value for money when you compare the quality of the food that we serve with regards to the offering of the Wetherspoon pub opposite. All of our food is cooked fresh on premises with only the best ingredients. We do have a new head chef who is about to launch a brand new menu so I hope that you visit us on your next trip to York.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for the first time for one night back in July the hotel itself is lovely and it's in a great location close to the city centre! When we checked in the lady on reception was so helpful giving us a map and pointing out where abouts we were and which way to walk to get into the centre the quickest . She even asked if we needed any help on where is good to go for drinks and food but because this wasn't out first time to York we had everything all ready planned out .. It was such a good touch though especially for guests who hadn't visted York before! You don't normally get such nice service from a receptionist.. the stay itself cost £160 pound for one night room only which yes is a lot of money for one night but peak months most hotels I york are highly priced .. The only downside to the hotel is it needs air con fitted it was really warm in the bedroom and even though they did give us a large fan when it come to drying my hair and getting ready to go out I did struggle it was absolutely boiling . My partner did find sleeping in the room uncomfortable because of the heat . We also used the hotel car park which cost ten pound per night it was handy and stress free I was worried on the drive up incase we didn't get a space but thankfully there was plenty still free when we arrived .All in all this hotel has everything you need and I would defiantly return just mabye not in the summer months

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your lovely review of your stay back in July. I am pleased to read all of your positive comments from your stay, we do have a great location, just 5 minutes walk into the main city centre and even less to many of York's great attractions! Our receptionists all have an intimate knowledge of York itself and are always here to provide any information or recommendations you may require. As you rightly say, York is a very popular destination and during peak times prices do rise, however, we do keep an eye on what our competitors are selling at to ensure that you get the best value by booking at Hotel 53.

We did experience rather hot weather for an unusually long period in July and August. Whilst we do not have air conditioning in our bedrooms, we provide fans however I am sorry that you still struggled to keep cool. There is no need to worry about finding a parking space as when our spaces are fully allocated, there is plenty of pay & display in the same car park, a pay & display directly behind the hotel and tons of additional parking a little further. Our receptionists are all very knowledgeable with regards to parking and can always help our guests find the perfect parking space to suit their needs.

We really do hope to welcome you back to Hotel 53, why not call direct and as a Trip Advisor user claim your 10% discount?

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Good location, very close to centre., five minutes walking distance. Comfy room, but TV channels very limited,and although it said there was wi if we managed about ten minutes of it. Good car park and helpful staff. Lovely breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janette H
Hotel53YorkCentre, Front Office Manager at Hotel 53, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Thank you for your lovely review of your stay at Hotel 53 back in June. I agree that we do have a great location 5 minutes walk to the heart of the city centre! I am pleased that you found your room to be comfy, our TV's all have freeview channels so I am a little confused as to your limited channels comment. Perhaps your TV was not tuned into the digital channels correctly? I am sorry that you had trouble with the WiFi, I do wish that you had reported this to us so that we could have the chance to call our WiFi provider and rectify the problem..

I am so pleased that you found our staff helpful and enjoyed your lovely breakfast! I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back to Hotel 53 in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The hotel itself was nice enough and the breakfast was typical hotel fare. The beds were comfortable but as my title says the pillows were rock hard. I don't mind a lack of air conditioning and sleeping with open windows generally but I found the traffic noises from a nearby heavily traveled street, combined with the pillow situation ,made it difficult to fall asleep. My husband had no such trouble and once I was actually able to fall asleep I slept well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of your stay at Hotel 53. I am sorry that you found your pillow to be hard, however I am glad that you slept well once you fell asleep! I understand that bed and pillow hardness is all down to personal preference however I am sure that we could have tested some alternative pillows had you mentioned this to reception.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the rest of your stay at Hotel 53. I do hope that we get the change to welcome you and your husband back.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here for one night after staying previously a year ago. lovely hotel and friendly staff. good location too. only thing didnt like that we were in a family room with my 3 year old trying to sleep, and had lots of noise from groups of girls/boys going out and then coming back in at around 3am. would of thought they would of been kept separate from family rooms?? apart from that nice stay. Also there is a weatherspoons directly opposite hotel which is good for breakfast/lunch etc without paying hotel scandalous prices.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review of your stay at Hotel 53. I am so pleased that you decided to return to Hotel 53 after your last stay a year ago. I am sorry that you were disturbed by guests returning in the morning. Whilst we do our best to pinpoint groups and allocate them rooms together away from families, it is not always possible for us to find these prior to arrival. We do rely on our in house guests to respect other guests and keep noise to a minimum, however should noise become an issue, please contact our night manager at reception who will be able to speak to the noisy guests.

I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back to Hotel 53 for a 3rd time, why not call direct and quote 'Trip Advisor' for your 10% discount.

Kind regards