“Nice food but dodgy service”
Review of Meltons Too - CLOSED

Meltons Too
Price range: US$0 - US$59
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: On Walmgate, within moments of the city���s favourite tourist attractions, shops and sights, is Meltons Too. The sister restaurant of the critically acclaimed Meltons, Too is a larger, more laid back brasserie style affair. Set in an historic 17th Century building, the restaurant is full of character outside and in, where exposed brick walls and wooden floors are set with coloured chairs and wooden bistro tables. With a fresh, European flavour the menu uses regional and seasonal produce; offering brunches and lunches as well as dinner and a yummy selection of tapas for sharing. Meltons Too has been named the "best eating place of the year 2009" in the York tourism awards.
York, United Kingdom
“Nice food but dodgy service”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

When I made a telephone booking for our lunch at Meltons Too I had asked for a table downstairs. It turned out that this had not been noted. None the less, we were early enough so there were tables free downstairs. I had also double-checked that the lobster festival menu would be available that day. When we arrived we were told that the lobster menu did not start until the next day (contrary to what it said in Melton’s brochure). Not looking good so far! Under pressure the waitress went to see the chef and came back with the lobster menu.

When we eventually got the food (around 25 minutes later) it was very good. Our main waitress apologised for the delay and was very pleasant. There was another waitress, who brought the drinks, who was rather po-faced. This was the one who served us upstairs last time and the reason why we wanted a table downstairs on this occasion.

So, a rather inauspicious start but they redeemed themselves in the end. We thought we might possibly go again sometime.

Oxford, UK
“casual and friendly with good food”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

As fans of the higher-class Meltons in York, we didn't hesitate to choose Meltons Too for an early dinner, especially as there were good prices for leaving by 8pm. The outside is not very inspiring, and you don't realize at first that the action is upstairs. But it has a good atmosphere, unpretentious and slightly chaotic. We were 5 adults and a baby, and the staff treated us just right, leaving us alone while the baby caused chaos, and bringing along food as it was ready. I had the £13 3 course menu, with stuffed peppers, steak and mushroom pie, and sticky toffee pudding, all of which I enjoyed a lot. I don't understand other comments about portion size - all of our dishes looked fine to me (including fishcakes, tapas, and tagine, so you can see the range is unusual), and I felt pretty full at the end.

Service was laid back (ie a bit slow), but that was fine by me. they were friendly, brought good food, and smiled at the baby.

The emphasis on local produce (and drink, I had a local beer), casual atmosphere, and good cooking was what I want in a restaurant, and Meltons delivered it. Go there. And then visit the other Meltons on a more special day.

UK
“Lucky 13???”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This was my third time of visiting this restaurant for a 'girlie' catch-up lunch. On this occasion we were seated upstairs and, initially, were the only occupied table. Plastic chairs are exceptionally uncomfortable! We opted for the 'Lucky 13' set lunch menu; £13 for 3 courses. Not a lot of choice and portions are small. My pork terrine starter was nicely presented but totally lacking flavour. The chocolate brownie was to die for. The staff were exceptionally obliging; realised that we were there for a chat so didn't rush us. Nice relaxed atmosphere but oh, you must do something about the awful sewerage smell from the corridor to the toilets. Will visit again if only because staff were so pleasant! Thanks for being so patient with us.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Local produce excellently presented. This was a return visit after it was recommended to us. You need to book in advance , to make sure you get your preferred time.

Visited June 2013
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Shame, it could be good”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I did start typing this at the Restaraunt, just after the first course was taken away and when the young lady ( Posibly new ) just picked up the plates. Even though my wife had left the side !!!

We then ordered the desert at the same time. We had to ask if we could have more than 3 crackers to go with the missing pickle.

After we got up to ask for the bill ( I was going to take a pic of the 3 members of staff hovering around the bar ) but that might have gone to far ?

But like trip advisor, I believe it is about is saying well done, or like this, it is where you need to improve.

No a cheap place but good food