“Top Class Service and Food.”
Review of Cafe No.8 Bistro

Cafe No.8 Bistro
Ranked #30 of 920 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$13 - US$40
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our small-but-beautiful bistro is found on the busy and lively Gillygate in York. A street full of independent shops and businesses, it leads right into the heart of York through one of its ancient City gates. A traditional and cosy bistro front room that evokes the brasseries of Paris connects to a more spacious and lighter garden room at the rear. This in turn leads to our charming and secluded garden area adjoining the City Walls and basking in the glory of the fabulous York Minster. Whether you come for breakfast, for lunch, or an evening meal, the bistro provides a delightful setting for you to enjoy your meal. Ideal for romantic couples, families or large groups, Café No.8’s bistro offers simple, modern, quality food at excellent value. Make a reservation and see why we consistently appear in ‘top places to eat’ lists both locally and nationally.
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Cafe no8 has a nice laid back atmosphere but great attention to both its service and food. We had booked in advance of a trip to York mentioning that coeliac friendly meal would be needed. When we arrived for dinner the waitress went through the menu outlining the coeliac options and so put us at ease .Both the starters and lamb and steak main dishes were excellent as all the various ingredients married to make wonderful food.Great wine list too.A Most enjoyable restaurant , so much so we went twice during our visit to York.

1  Thank topcattEire
Write a ReviewReviews (1,282)

Reviewed 21 August 2014

There were 10 of us on a Thursday night and without exception everyone rated this as one of the best meals we've had in York or anywhere else. The food was exceptional and the service relaxed and unobtrusive. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Great location, lovely and helpful staff, great choice on the menu. Food came quickly (kudos to the one chef on shift!), was absolutely lovely and good value (three courses, a bottle of wine plus a soft drink for £70) - I've already recommended it to family members.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I had heard good things about Cafe No. 8, but Gillygate is on the opposite side of York to where I live. However, two friends who live quite close took me to dinner there recently, so I was looking forward to a good dinner.

There was a board advertising four cocktails, two gin-based and two vodka-based. I opted for a cocktail which contained gin and blueberries. I like cocktails, so I was rather disappointed to be given a tumbler of gin (which I couldn't taste) topped up with blueberry juice. We ordered our starters and mains and were hardly into drinking our "cocktails" when the starters arrived. All three of us agreed that we would have liked more time before the starters arrived.

My starter was the soup of the day which was beetroot soup with chilli. This was served with some good bread, but I couldn't work out whether the soup was meant to be hot or cold as it was only just tepid. It was also rather salty.

One of my friends and I opted for crispy pig cheeks, belly pork and celeriac & fennel remoulade. We also ordered a side order of potato gratin which came in a little saucepan. The presentation was good (apart from a forest of inedible fresh thyme) but the crispy pig cheek had been replaced by some sort of rather salty faggot - might have been black pudding. The waitress warned us that our little saucepans of potato gratin were hot as they were just out of the oven. However, I could handle them quite easily and the potatoes were just about warm.

We had a decent bottle of red wine, and rather than having puddings we had coffee and liqueurs - I had a glass of port. As I was a guest I didn't see the bill, but I think the prices are quite reasonable.

To sum up, it's a nice little restaurant and the staff were very friendly, but I was a bit disappointed with the food. I would probably go again, but I wouldn't make a special effort.

2  Thank Yorkie_guy_55
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Well what can I say, it was a great start to our honeymoon (stopped off in York on our way up to Scotland). We sat in a lovely little garden with our dog and had a beautiful, simple and elegant breakfast. All at a very reasonable price.