“Okay stay - probably wouldn't stay again though.”

Park View Guest House
Ranked #171 of 192 York B&B and Inns
“Okay stay - probably wouldn't stay again though.”
Reviewed 10 March 2013

After finding this place on the Internet it looked very nice...I think the pictures had been taken when it was very good light!
I booked this for one night as I had an interview the next day at York St. John university. The room was crammed, with a tiny bathroom. It was clean and the bed was comfy but for a double room it was very small.
I also kept hearing very strange noises throughout the evening, which appeared to be some sort of rattling noise. Now I sleep with earplugs at night so thankfully this didn't keep me up but for someone that doesn't would this strange noise have kept them up?
I was also told on the phone that I would be charged £50 for the night and was then charged £55 for the room...and I have no idea why! The owner spoke to me very fast so made it hard to understand him.
I wasn't allowed breakfast before 8am when I had a taxi at 8.20 to get me to this interview on time! Luckily I had enough time to get a cooked breakfast. I was also rushed out of the place very quickly when it was time for me to go.
Overall the service was okay but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Thats-So-Alex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
liverpool
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed at Park View . From 25th Jan to 28th. Went for my birthday ,and my friends 50th wedding anniversary . The two men that run it do a great job , can not do enough for you to make sure your stay is very comfortable .rooms very clean ,beds comfortable, power shower , breakfast was hot and plenty of it ,and more if you require more to eat .would stay there again , and would recommend Park View to other people to stay ,for a trip to York . Thanks again for my birthday breakfast . And cake and candles .

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank LiverpoolShirlgirl
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Booked guest house throught lateroom because of facilities . Park view facilities page on laterooms.com states they have at the guest house 1) a bar 2) a restaurant 3) air conditioning 4) lounge menu 5) 24 hour reception 6) mountain bike hire 7) smoking rooms 8) private dining services 9) car park.. All total lies apart from car park. Laterooms confirm client responsible for site content not them . Please will the management respond with explanation for deliberate misrepresentation before we report them to trading standards

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank sexonfire1
raj a, Owner at Park View Guest House, responded to this review, 31 December 2012
Sir

I am sorry to here about your stay

the bar, restaurant,air conditioning everything you mentioned was at the famly restaurant we have just 5 minutes away form the park view so all the facilities was for both the restaurant and the guest house as we have a merged account

sorry if you felt mislead

Travellers are raving about these York hotels

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend and I have to say I was quite impressed. Good value for money, short walk into the centre and room very clean although en suite a little snug! Breakfast was ok, in honesty not the best quality ingredients but was pleasant enough. The two chaps who ran it could not do enough for you and were very accomodating. My only criticism was not enough hot water for two showers when getting ready to go out. Would stay here again when next in York.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kate F
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We stayed in the park view, it was our honeymoon, the place was clean and tidy, breakfast very good and filling. Having parking was an added bonus, the short walk into the city was pleasent even in the rain. Would stay at park view again.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank drayma
Washington, England
Reviewed 21 November 2012

My wife and i stayed for two nights in November and we loved the Park View, two very nice lads ran the place, very friendly and nothing too much trouble. Room was spot on, spotless and modern, top floor but we didn,t mind. Breakfast was well cooked, tasty and plenty of it, served 8 - 9 which suited us. There is free parking at the side of the guest house for six vehicles but not much space if you have a large car. York is only a ten minute walk away or a bit longer if you drop into the three pubs on the way. We would def return to the Park View.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank grobbo
Ryde Isle of Wight
Reviewed 4 November 2012

My brother and i and our wives stayed for four nights at the end of October 2012. We were contacted the day before to ask our time of arrival, we were driving from the Isle of Wight so we could only give them an approx time, which was fine. Parking is on the side of the b&b, we found enough spaces. Very friendly people, couldn't do enough for us, excellent breakfast, good clean rooms and en-suite, towels/bedding changed after two days, city centre just 10 mins (unless you start shopping before you get there!). What more do you want, a lovely place, and of course you have to go to Castle Howard! Yes, we would book again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple