“Do not stay here”

Park View Guest House
Ranked #166 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I have stayed in a variety of accommodation for work and pleasure, ranging from tents, youth hostels, travel lodges and hotels. I frequently have weekend breaks and am happy to say I have never have had any problems. until now. I made a booking for this place via iyork and everything seemed fine, although it did say it was a provisional booking. So I phoned up a few days later to confirm and got told it was okay and he put down the phone before I had a chance to ask anymore questions. I was taken aback but assumed he must have been busy. However, there was no booking for me and I was stuck having to get last minute accommodation after arriving - since this was the weekend of the York races most places were fully booked and everywhere else was very expensive! This was not a good start of my holiday! I will be coming down to York frequently for my work and this place will definitely not be getting my custom!!!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Avril W
rassal, Manager at Park View Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

SIr

we are very disappointed in your review not only is it fictional but it seems to me you have a personal problem first of all you booked with iyork not with us direct so if they mess up your booking this is not our fault it did say provisional booking so why did you turn up knowing its not a live booking. you did not call us at all to confirm anything, if you did we would of told you that its a provisional booking and that you do not have a room booked. i think you was finding it difficult to book anywhere so you thought you could pull the wool over our eyes and just turn up thinking we may give you a room thinking its our fault well no sorry,

please do not book with i no york they have done this a few times and please be aware for future reference that provisional does not mean live booking if you want you can take this up with iyork but as the hotel goes its out of our control

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Great little guest house near the Minster and Uni. Clean, rooms and ensuite small but adequate. Nice decor and fantastic breakfast. People very friendly and helpful. Would definitely go back. Steep stairs with some traffic noise but still slept soundly.

Room Tip: Book early x
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ElaineRed
Reviewed 7 June 2013

A wonderful b&b. Very attentive staff. Very good breakfast. Room cleaned every day to a very high standard.

Situated about a five minute walk from York Minster.

There is a 20% discount at treir associated resteraunt, The Raj, just down the road.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OnchanOnchan
Reviewed 10 March 2013

After finding this place on the Internet it looked very nice...I think the pictures had been taken when it was very good light!
I booked this for one night as I had an interview the next day at York St. John university. The room was crammed, with a tiny bathroom. It was clean and the bed was comfy but for a double room it was very small.
I also kept hearing very strange noises throughout the evening, which appeared to be some sort of rattling noise. Now I sleep with earplugs at night so thankfully this didn't keep me up but for someone that doesn't would this strange noise have kept them up?
I was also told on the phone that I would be charged £50 for the night and was then charged £55 for the room...and I have no idea why! The owner spoke to me very fast so made it hard to understand him.
I wasn't allowed breakfast before 8am when I had a taxi at 8.20 to get me to this interview on time! Luckily I had enough time to get a cooked breakfast. I was also rushed out of the place very quickly when it was time for me to go.
Overall the service was okay but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Thats-So-Alex
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed at Park View . From 25th Jan to 28th. Went for my birthday ,and my friends 50th wedding anniversary . The two men that run it do a great job , can not do enough for you to make sure your stay is very comfortable .rooms very clean ,beds comfortable, power shower , breakfast was hot and plenty of it ,and more if you require more to eat .would stay there again , and would recommend Park View to other people to stay ,for a trip to York . Thanks again for my birthday breakfast . And cake and candles .

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank LiverpoolShirlgirl
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Booked guest house throught lateroom because of facilities . Park view facilities page on laterooms.com states they have at the guest house 1) a bar 2) a restaurant 3) air conditioning 4) lounge menu 5) 24 hour reception 6) mountain bike hire 7) smoking rooms 8) private dining services 9) car park.. All total lies apart from car park. Laterooms confirm client responsible for site content not them . Please will the management respond with explanation for deliberate misrepresentation before we report them to trading standards

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank sexonfire1
raj a, Owner at Park View Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Sir

I am sorry to here about your stay

the bar, restaurant,air conditioning everything you mentioned was at the famly restaurant we have just 5 minutes away form the park view so all the facilities was for both the restaurant and the guest house as we have a merged account

sorry if you felt mislead

Reviewed 24 November 2012

We stayed here for a weekend and I have to say I was quite impressed. Good value for money, short walk into the centre and room very clean although en suite a little snug! Breakfast was ok, in honesty not the best quality ingredients but was pleasant enough. The two chaps who ran it could not do enough for you and were very accomodating. My only criticism was not enough hot water for two showers when getting ready to go out. Would stay here again when next in York.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple