“This is why I don't go out for Sunday lunch!”
Review of The Blackwell Ox Inn - CLOSED

The Blackwell Ox Inn
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
“This is why I don't go out for Sunday lunch!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Electric was off at home today so we thought we would go out for lunch.
Somehow ended up here after a drive around.
The whole experience from start to finish was disappointing. The place lacks personality and soul. The young man serving was nice enough but out of his depth to be front of house I thought.
We looked at menu and Sunday lunch dinners were on a blackboard. We had the pork and lamb. The meat was tasty but the crackling on the pork was soft. The gravy was as thin as water. It may have been the chefs version of juice but it needs thickening otherwise you get soggy Yorkshire puddings. Which we did!
Portion size of potatoes and veg far too small. We had 3 little roast potatoes each and the veg came in a small bowl to share. Literally 5 carrot batons, 5 small broccoli florets and about 12 long beans. To share! I asked for another bowl of veg for which they charged me £2.30
Whilst we were eating another couple came in and asked if they could have lunch. The man at the bar said it would be a 40 minute wait as they had a table reserved ( for 4!) coming in anytime soon. The couple asked if they could put there order in quickly now before they came in. He went to ask the chef who said no can do and they would have to wait. I counted chairs and the place has a maximum capacity of 22 in the bar area we were in and that was all they had open on Sunday.
Overall experience poor.
Tips for owner....make every customer feel special, take control and put your personality into the place, be generous with food..it may cost more but people will come back, forget all the bits on your normal menu when it's Sunday. There were kids having pasta and all sorts. Concentrate on Sunday lunches, half portions half price for kids and lastly get your chef banging the food out. Look at it and think would I be happy with that? Simple!
I would like to add that the food we had was nicely cooked, veg was nice there just wasn't enough of it.

• Visited March 2014

“Dont even bother”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Booked a room for 1 night for me & the wife...glad it was only 1 night.
Was 'greeted' by what looked like the chef who showed us to our tiny,cold double room that stunk of cannabis,im sure theyre growing in the roof space.
We had our meal in the restaurant and I wouldnt expect such poor quality from a supermarket cafe.
We used tesco vouchers to pay for the meal,what a waste of vouchers !!!

• Visited March 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“KGB deal”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Brilliant deal,excellent value. Lovely double room,clean. Great hospitality. Food highly recommended. Bus stop right outside to York. Great for couples wanting quiet getaway.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Gill H
York, United Kingdom
“Poor”
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

We booked for a family birthday lunch. My 5 year old daughter ordered a ham sandwich. The menu stated ham & pickle. We requested the sandwich be just ham & no pickle. When it arrived unfortunately it contained pickle. We politely pointed this out to the unsmiling waitress who took it back to the kitchen. A "new" one was delivered - the lazy chef had scraped the pickle off the sandwich - the remains still visible!!! The rest of our meal was cold, greasy tasteless etc etc. Don't bother - go to the Rose & Crown in the village - much better.

York
“Very disappointing lunch!”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We've wanted to eat the Blackwell Ox for ages. A Groupon voucher encouraged us to do so. We booked for lunch on a Wednesday. The lady who greeted us at the bar seemed to have left her smile behind today, so not a good start. I ordered the burger and my husband the chicken with onion tarte and carrot and swede. We asked the lady....who still wasn't smiling....if that would be enough or should he order a side dish. She said the onion tarte was the carbs suggesting nothing else necessary. He decided to have chips as an extra. We had to wait some considerable time for the food as a party of 7 was ahead of us, but the lady did warn us of this. After 50 mins from placing the order my burger arrived and my husbands chips. The lady said his food wouldn't be long, they were waiting for the onion tarte....still no smile....... 8 minutes later his meal arrived......my face was a picture...not much on the plate for £13.95...a chicken breast, 2 halved tiny cherry tomatoes, a small but tasty onion tarte and 2 small spoons of mashed carrot and swede. Good job he'd ordered the chips!!!!! Sadly my burger was so dry I had difficulty swallowing it and the leaves were covered in an oily dressing which had no flavour. I've had far far better elsewhere. My husbands chicken was dry too and was nothing special. All in all, disappointing, not living up to expectations and we won't be back. There is another fabulous eatery in this small village, The Rose and Crown, where we have always been welcomed by lovely staff who happily make small talk, the ambience is wonderful and eclectic and the food is consistently excellent and value for money. The Blackwell Ox could learn a lot from the Rose and Crown.

• Visited February 2014