“Why So Many Bad Reveiws”
Review of The Plough Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Plough Hotel
Ranked #13 of 19 Northampton B&B and Inns
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Why So Many Bad Reveiws”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed at the Plough for a wedding reception for two nights, I was dreading it after reading the bad reviews but when we arrived i was pleasantly surprised yes the rooms were basic but they were clean. The manager and staff were very helpful and friendly. The Manager even arranged for a chef to come in on the Friday night so we could have our evening meal there ( they only do bar meals normaly Monday - Thursday, he even went out of his way to get my favorite tipple behind the bar as they do not usually sell it. Not many places would do that. So yes I would stay there again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Colin W, Manager at The Plough Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us last weekend.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and have shared your comments with the team here.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel on some future occasion, and will ensure we maintain a stock of Pimms for your indulgence!
Many thanks again

Colin Woods

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Voorburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Many of the other hotels in Northampton were booked so I ended up in the Plough. Actually the pictures looked quite ok, and the location was convenient, so I went for it.
A real estate manager would call this a place with many original items, you could also say that is was old. The bathroom in my room was not maintained for years, that was easy to see. I heard they refurbished, well probably the outside and the lounge, but the rooms still contained very old furniture.
Nevertheless I had a good sleep and that's what most important, but a clean shower and decent Wifi on the room would be nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JohanHagendijk
Colin W, Manager at The Plough Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us.
I was pleased to read you slept well, but disappointed to read your comment regarding the bathroom, some of which have been updated but regrettably not the one you stayed in.
Wifi is available free of charge in the bar area.
I do wish you had made your thoughts known to us during your stay with us, when we would have at least been afforded the opportunity of rectifying any issues at the time, and of conveying our apologies in a more personal manner.
Thank you again for your comments & I hope you will not be disuaded from staying with us should you visit Northampton on some future occasion.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I paid £40 for a single room without en suite. The bed was comfortable and the shower in the next door bathroom was good. Situation is good . I didn't find the problem with noise that an earlier reviewer mentioned but the sheets did smell of stale smoke. It didn't particularly bother me but would bother some people. I was down ten minutes before the published end of breakfast but still found bread and tea had been cleared away one day and there was only a plastic egg and no tomatoes left which left just beans for the cooked part of breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Colin W, Manager at The Plough Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
I was pleased to read that you found your stay with us satisfactory & value for money.
We have very recently made the decision to make all our rooms non-smoking, which I am sure will enhance the enjoyment of our guests staying with us.
I was disappointed to read your comments concerning breakfast, and have taken this up with the staff concerned to ensure there is no repetition of this.
Thank you again for your review, and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Plough in the near future

Cheshunt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Was not worth £65 per night but when you think about it ,it was £30 each so for the run down room and en suite bathroom it was not bad!!!!! very noisy with the traffic we were at the front .Tea and coffee and shower gel and soaps provided..
About 3am the people in the next room had just come in singing at the top of their voices I couldn't get to sleep I called reception and she said she would see if she could stop them she didn't it carried on to about 5am.The Breakfast was set in a large bar area look like the Shining with Jack Nicholson was going to pop out at any moment very 1970s freezing cold sausage bacon beans and coffee very cold egg even although it was under a hot plate Location very good just down the hill from the Town centre

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Colin W, Manager at The Plough Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review following your stay with us, and I was sorry to read that your stay was not as you, or indeed we, would have wished. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
I trust you can appreciate how difficult it is to be responsible for the actions and behaviour of all guests, especilally through the night when staffing is minimal. I am somewhat confused as to your reference to a female member of staff you spoke to during the night - all our night porters are male!
I have noted your comments regarding breakfast & have spoken to the relevant members of staff to ensure this does not get repeated.
Thank you again for your comments & I hope you will not be deterred from staying with us should you visit Northampton on some future occasion.

Colin Woods

Travellers are raving about these Northampton hotels

sunny south
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Bad hotel for the money, i have stayed in much better hotels for a lot less money, i only stayed 1 night that was enough, it cost £60 for 1 night, not very clean, staff rude at times, on a positive the car park was free and breakfest was ok, location is not to bad but a pain to find the carpark as it is round the back of the hotel, i would not stay in this hotel again, i would preffer a travelodge which is only up the road

Room Tip: do not book
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rockyontour
Colin W, Manager at The Plough Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read that your stay was not as you, or indeed we, would have wished. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
On a positive note, I was pleased to read that you appreciated that car parking and full cooked breakfast are included in all rates, unlike the majority of hotels these days.

Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

What a dump. Don't attempt to stay at this Hotel!!!! Location is great for the town centre and the staff were very nice. BUT our room stank of cigarette smoke and despite opening the window the smell did not go. It was so noisy, like sleeping on the M25. There was no hairdryer, the wardrobe and floor/carpet looked like it had been chewed by mice/rats, we had no bulb in the light outside our room so couldn't see to get the key in the door. The electricity cut out in our room twice within 10 minutes and we had to go down to reception, as no code on telephone telling you what number to dial for reception. We were left half used toiletries in the bathroom without lids on them! The breakfast was cold so was the coffee. Basically this is iust a rip off charging £65 for a double room when the Langham up the road is only £45 and clean with a lovely breakfast, hairdryer, local magazines, biscuits and chocolates in the room but they were full, surprise surprise.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie L
Colin W, Manager at The Plough Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review following your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read that your stay was not as you, or indeed we, would have wished and I apologise sincerely for any inconvenience.
Having very recently taken over the management of the hotel, we are gradually making inroads into improving the levels of comfort and hospitality offered at the Plough. By way of demonstrating our committment to this, we have now taken the decision to make the hotel completely non-smoking. Whilst I appreciate this may be of little comfort to you at this stage, at least future guests will be able to enjoy the benefits of this.

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at the Plough overnight to attend a wedding. After reading the negative comments written on Tripadvisor, we were not looking forward to our stay. However, we were very pleasantly surprised at the quality of our en-suite rooms, the rooms were clean and very comfortable, breakfast was good and plentiful, staff helpful. We found the Plough good value for money and would stay again with no hesitation.

The New Owner has started a total refurbishment and deserves encouragement not criticism.

Room Tip: Best to select an en-suite room, a bit more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Colin W, Manager at The Plough Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your short time with us, and have ensured that your comments have been passed on to the team.
I greatly appreciate the encouragement you have given us in our quest to enhance the levels of comfort and hospitality, and we trust our guests can look forward to these improvements as the year progresses.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us have your feedback, and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future