“A bit of a let down....”
Review of Papa Cinos

Papa Cinos
Ranked #47 of 530 Restaurants in Northampton
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Informal relaxed dining. Great venue for large groups
Northampton
“A bit of a let down....”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Busy Saturday night ...the restaurant was packed and buzzing..We were greeted by a very friendly man who told us our table wasn't quite ready and invited us to wait at the bar....when were were seated our drink order was promptly taken and then we waited over 20 mins for the waitress to take our food order...even though we were clearly ready and trying to catch someone's eye.
Food arrived soon after ....I had the calamari which was well presented but quite chewy and the meat anti pasti was a little light on the meat and heavy on the salad...but the cheese and olives were excellent.
For mains I had a pizza which was lovely...well presented and very tasty...but my other half had lambs liver on mash.....The liver was very overcooked and the mash quite frankly was a very strange consistency....I thought it was either instant "smash" type or had been made earlier and reheated...although when I asked the waitress she assured me it was freshly made and I was incorrect in my thinking.
We passed on the dessert course and went straight to the coffee.
Papa cino is down a flight of stairs...and even though I was on crutches I wasn't made aware of any disabled/wheelchair access...so if you have mobility problems you may want to check that out.
Also there was a stag party in the restaurant that night and they were very loud...so any hopes of a romantic meal was out of the question.
The staff were friendly especially the man who booked you in...but the food wasn't tasty enough to make us go back.

1 Thank 1969tricia
Papacino, Owner at Papa Cinos, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thanks for the review 1969Trisha.

We were buzzing on Saturday weren't we! Sorry you felt the liver was over done. never happy if our food is not liked. I should have noticed you not eaten it, sorry! I will be keeping a close eye on those other dishes you mention too to ensure they meet our usually high standard.

Not sure when I last tasted "Smash". I will have to get some and compare. While it's true we can't cook every portion of mashed potatoes to order I can assure you that, as the little tin aliens on the advert would say, "we peel them with our metal knives...then we smash them all to bits !"

Less mobile customers should also note that we are lucky enough to have access to the dining room via a lift. Please ask when you book or send a fellow diner in to ask me and we do all we can to assist you to dine with us. Sorry I could have mentioned this to you when I offered you my assistance on your way out but you were half way up the stairs and you said you were fine.

I hope one day you'll visit us again so I can take that opportunity impress you a little more than we did on Saturday.

Stewart - Papa Cinos

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely for Valentine's Day”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I visited with my boyfriend for Valentine's Day and I'm very glad we chose this restaurant. The only table we could get when booking was at 6:15 and we were slightly worried that they might try to rush us in order to fit in later bookings, however this was certainly not the case. The restaurant was busy all evening, yet the staff were very attentive and the food was very tasty. The décor is molto italiano- more so than any restaurant I have ever visited in Italy, but this only adds to the atmosphere, so you can pretend for a few hours you are somewhere more special than Northampton!

With it being Valentine's Day there was a set 5 course menu, but there was plenty of choice and they were willing to change the dishes slightly if you requested it. I was even brought a rose with the bill, which was a nice extra touch.

I'll definitely be visiting again next time I am in the area.

Thanks for reviewing. You are very kind. Hope to see you at Papa's again soon

Northampton, United Kingdom
“A small family restaurant with the feel of a big restaurant”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Papa Cino's has to be one of the best restaurants in Northampton.

While it might be a small out of the way restaurant you won't be disappointed with the level of service and the quality of the food.

We visited on Feb 1st with friends to celebrate my Girlfriends Birthday. The staff made us all feel welcome and went out of there way to ensure that everything was just right. The food was amazing, cooked perfectly and served in no time at all.

I would recommend Papa Cino's to anyone looking for a romantic night out for 2 right the way through to someone looking to take clients out for an impressive meal that won't break the bank.

Thanks Chris

I'm so glad you enjoyed your evening with us

Northampton, United Kingdom
“lively atmosphere”
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Papa cinos has never disappointed, glad we booked in advance as the place was full, and as such quite noisy, we have never experienced that before and our evening was not as pleasant as usual, trying to chat with friends over the sounds of other diners, that said, I'm really pleased that in tough economic times this independent restaurant is enjoying good trade.

We enjoyed a warm welcome from Stewart the host, and were seated and attended to quickly by a pleasant, attentive waitress.

Food was nicely presented, piping hot and tasty. House rose wine was ok too. Average price for this kind of cuisine in northampton,a few new choices on the menu provided something to tickle our tastebuds.

We had a lovely time but may avoid Saturday nights and choose to visit in the week for a different ambience. Recommended for couples or dinner with friends(weeknights). We shall be back

Visited February 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great find in Northampton”
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Great restaurant in a Northampton cellar!!....food was very good with friendly service and really reasonable prices ...we will certainly be back

Cheers David