“Not a brilliant first try” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Seafood Cafe - CLOSED

The Seafood Cafe
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Not a brilliant first try”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

We were those annoying customers that arrived 15 minutes of so before close, however we were warmly greeted. Overall I was happy with MY food, though the sauce for my Moules Mariniere wasn't the best - a bit powdery, though my Red Mullett noodle dish was lovely. My partner ordered Brixworth (the best btw) pate on toast, which would have been fine if it wasn't just a slice of dry white toast (triangled) and a lump of pate, no pressentation, no butter, just careless really (see attached picture). What do you expect? You might say, and indeed you should, but,,, we moaned about the pressentation, likening the bread to something out of a Tesco's basics square loaf. The description was taken back to the kitchen, and the waitress returned saying it was Oliver Adams bread, she also gave us an equally dissapointing piece of toasted french stick to replace it, burnt at the edges. No effort to take the plate away and re-pressent it with a little more care. I then told the waitress that the pressentation was that of someone not needing to care at home, a lump of pate and toast, and that it was just a shame. Her face soured and off she popped. Anyway, we left it and carried on. Was slightly annoyed when the bread waitress returned with an 'is everything alright now?!' which appeared distinctly patronising, she seemed to think we were just being difficult, with a smile to make you sick. So that's a star down on service. On the other hand there was a particularly lovely young waitress that looked after us otherwise. My partners fish and chips was under seasoned, or rather not seasoned, but otherwise beautifully done, lovely batter, etc, oh and he had a nice chocolate brownie for desert. I'd like to try it again, and hopefully be able to offer a better review. Not bad, don't get me wrong, perhaps just not their best day.

Northampton, United Kingdom
“nicely cooked scallops but vegetables overseasoned. whole place lacked atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

I was really looking forward to my meal at the seafood cafe and possibly because so many people had recommended the restaurant to me I was somewhat disappointed with the atmosphere. we booked a table for 8pm on a friday but on arrival the place was very quite. There were only four other tables occupied during our visit. The decor was nicely done however the temperature of the room was a little chilly. Service was fine for most of the meal: speedy but somewhat lacking in personality. However after our mains we were not offered a dessert menu and had to wait some time before we could ask for the bill, although but the waiting staff seemed to stand around looking bored a lot of the time.

Food wise it was OK and not more. My husband's starter of fishcake was somewhat dry ( i had brixworth pate with which you cannot really go wrong). I had scallops with black pudding for my main. The scallops were cooked to perfection but the black pudding was disappointing: dry and only in tiny pieces. The accompanying mash was extremely overseasoned and stodgy: I ate hardly any. My husband ordered seabass: his seabass was Ok, possibly slightly overcooked however his veggies were virtually inedible, being slimy and overseasoned.

We did not complain at the time: my dishes were 'ok' just not as fab I I had been hoping for and as it was my birthday meal my husband did not want to spoil the atmosphere and so didn't admit how bad his meal was until after we left. It's all very well for the manager to say people should complain at the time if the food is not right but really, should you have to?

• 3 of 5 bubbles
theseafoodman, Owner at The Seafood Cafe, responded to this review, 17 March 2011
We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit last Friday and thought the cafe lacked atmosphere. We have been consistently busy but during your visit we were unusually quiet on that particular night.

The Seafood Cafe is our first restaurant, therefore we cannot stress enough how vitally important customer feedback is to us. We endeavour to get it right for the customer every time but in order for us to do this it is important for the customer to highlight any problems with the meal or service at the time. We always ask the customer during their meal if they are happy with everything, giving the customer the opportunity to comment.

To discover customer views on the food or service through a review, without the customer passing comment at the time of the meal,despite being given the opportunity, is frustrating. We then cannot rectify any disappointment experienced.
“Very Small Portions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

This is the third time I have been
the last time I paid £162 for me and my three sons in 2010
visited today service slow but polite But the cod and chips I had the portion was no bigger than the size of my fist my wifes was slightly bigger tasted Great but was very Dissapointed sepecially paying £8.95 portion do not mind paying high prices but this was a bit Poor.
Arthur and Rita

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank titmacfart
theseafoodman, Owner at The Seafood Cafe, responded to this review, 11 March 2011
Im sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the portion size of your fish and chips. Just to clarify all our fish portions are of the same weight but the shape will vary.

It would have been helpful if you could have highlighted your disappointment to us at the time in order for us to rectify your concern.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely delicious fish and chips - as good as the seaside”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

I've wanted to try this restaurant for ages and finally had lunch there with my husband on 24th February.

I don't very often eat fish and chips. In fact, I make a point of limiting it to about once a year - and it has to be at the seaside, preferably sitting on the prom. (The calories don't count so much out of doors).

So I'm not sure why I chose haddock, chips and mushy peas over all the other lovely things on the menu but I'm really glad I did, I enjoyed it so much. The fish was beautifully cooked with a light, crispy batter that melted in your mouth. . I only ate a few chips but these were also crisp and light - just as they should be.

The service was friendly and attentive and I loved the vintage railway posters on the walls.

All in all, a really nice place to go for lunch - we'll have to try it in the evening some time.

• Visited February 2011
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, great food, unbelievable fish! A fortnightly ritual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

Valentine’s Day saw the fifth time me and my girlfriend have been since December. The service was outstanding for what was a packed restaurant, and the food was up to the normal impeccable standards. As a massive fish fan I always order from the specials board and yet again I was not disappointed, the whiting was firm and the chorizo used was the perfect strength for the dish. My girlfriend is a reluctant fish eater but thoroughly enjoyed the red pepper linguine. Having worked as a commis in fine dining restaurant before I can’t believe the bad reviews, the food is perfect for the ethos of the restaurant and relies on the quality of the fish while the service is more than acceptable for the amounts of covers they have at the time. If you enjoy good food and a refreshing atmosphere you have to come here, we always leave satisfied and are planning our next visit as early as this Friday!

• Visited February 2011