“the man is a genius”

Ranked #77 of 566 Restaurants in Northampton
Price range: US$3 - US$34
Cuisines: British, Bar, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A traditional pub steeped in history that offers a unique food and dining experience in the heart of a bustling town centre. With 13 rotating guest ales and ciders, 100 plus whisky's and rare spirits, bottled global beers, draught lagers & Belgian beers we have something different to appeal to your palate. Our chefs produce regularly changing menus tailored to showcase the finest seasonal produce. All our recipes are produced on site using ingredients sourced from numerous local suppliers. As a proud supporter of the Northampton Saints we regularly show all Rugby games throughout the season on our many screens. The Wig and Pen is also proud to offer a diverse range of live music every week of the year. CAMRA (campaign for real ale) accredited & we were voted Northamptonshire's pub of the season by CAMRA for Spring 2012 because of our excellent selection of quality local and national real ales.
Reviewed 25 June 2013

it was only by chance that we visited the Wig and Pen today but oh what a treat, the staff are very helpful and friendly and the food is superb, check it out for yourself see photo.

1  Thank Chick-o-chick

Reviewed 22 June 2013

I know the pub was busy after the rugby, and I know I should have complained at the time but the staff were all busy dealing with a rogue gazebo in the courtyard.
Our vegetarian platter, large sharing for two, arrived after 30 minutes and was far smaller than the platter for one. Terrible value.

Richard G, General Manager at The Wig and Pen, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Hi Tony

Yes we all agree it was a busy a lunchtime with the Rugby and yes the strong winds did try and blow away the gazebos but that a side we do staff ourselves accordingly for busy days so no excuse on our apart. I must apologise for your poor experience after such a great review we had from you back in January, clearly that day we did get it wrong if you do decide to please give us another go then ask for me or Anya our manageress and we can go someway in showing you clearly your last visit was not that of a true Wig and Pen experience,. Kind Regards Richard

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Absolutely lovely food and selection of drinks is amazing! This is probably the place that serves the best burgers in Northampton- tasteful, well-spiced, with fat chips and salad on side (the wooden boards instead of platters are lovely but sometimes troublesome!). The pub has it's amazing unique feel and even though prices are slightly higher than your average pub, the food is really top notch quality. Will be coming back!

1  Thank Aneta P
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Cannot fault this pub. Good value for money and high quality food. Staff are friendly and very knowledgeable. Great atmosphere- friendly and relaxed. Variety of live music nights too. Very good range of beers ciders and whisky. Would recommend to anyone who loves decent food and a decent pint

Reviewed 3 June 2013

I have been a regular visitor to this pub for 3 years now and I absolutely adore it. The Ale and Whiskey selection is massive, and they always have a few good ciders on as well. The food here is the best pub food I have ever come across - and I have tried a lot of places in my time!

I try and have a different food dish every time I visit as some of the specials are amazing, If you ever fancy a good properly cooked Sunday roast then this really is the place to come, The meat and pie selection is plentiful, they don't get stingy on the Veg like some places tend to and the cauliflower cheese is heaven in a pot . I went in there last week and tried the Lobster Thermidor (I LOVE lobster) - and it was perfect.. Other favourites of mine are the Croque Madame and the Venison Burger, and they do some amazing platters that you can get to share or a smaller version for one.

The garden is where I prefer to sit, as it does tend to get very crowded (especially when the Rugby is on!) and sadly the tables are quite small in the pub itself, there's only one big table available indoors, all the others are meant for 2 people - and it can be a struggle to fit everything on there, especially with Sunday roasts where there are a lot of dishes to squeeze in - however the gardens have big tables and comfier chairs so it's perfect in the sunshine.

This will always get the biggest thumbs up from me!

1  Thank Loria-Rae