“Something missing from this Hilton”
Review of Hilton Northampton

Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Northampton
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Having stayed at more than 20 Hilton Hotels, I was very disappointed with this Hotel. The only thing going for it was the famous breakfast and that our room was clean and the leisure facilities spot on.

From booking they booked us in for 2 rooms instead of one! I called them and spoke to a very lovely lady called Jessica and she informed me of this. Had I not called ahead of our stay I would have been billed for 2 rooms! Luckily she sorted this out for us.

At check in I was disappointed again. My husband was informed that we had only booked bed and breakfast. I told the guy that we had booked with dinner. That took some time to sort out while we had two hungry and tired little boys to sort out too.

At dinner you have to "order" the meal. This was very disappointing as normal Hilton you just go and get food and the buffet gives you more choices. This would have been okay if we did not have to wait, and wait and wait for service between courses. Bearing in mind that all this was happening around after 9pm when the restaurant was quiet! A smile from the waiting staff would have been appreciated too.

During the night there was a large group of cricket players and we were placed on the 2nd floor (room 218) with no lifts by the way; we had people walking and talking till 3am! This interrupted our sleep and the children.

The icing on the cake came on Sunday when the bill came! The hotel had reserved 2 lots of money ie. £350 and £300, holding £650 plus the additional room fees of £280 from our bank account as deposit???? We asked them what was happening as we were checking out, they said the finance office was closed and the matter would be sorted out on Monday when it was opened. We phoned our bank and they confirmed that indeed £700 was reserved by Hilton group. This meant that we were unable to use that money for the shopping that we had planned. We left Northampton very disappointed. Luckily it was all sorted out on the Monday. What I don't understand is since when does the Hilton reserve £650 for a 2 night stay?????

To say I am disappointed with this hotel is an understatement. It should not be part of the Hilton Group.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
hiltonguest, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton Northampton following your recent stay with us.

We very much appreciate all the guest feedback we receive as this enables us to view the hotel from a guest prospective.

Thank you for informing us that the Restaurant Team were not aware that your room rate was dinner inclusive. You have clearly identified a training issue within the team so the Food and Beverage Manager will provide extra training to all staff to ensure that this is not missed in the future.

I do understand that a peaceful night's sleep is what you came for and I'm sorry to hear that you were disturbed by guests in the corridor. We do display notices in our corridors requesting guests to keep noise levels to a minimum, to respect other guests that may be resting, also, our night's team do corridor check's to try to maintain this where possible.

I'm sorry to hear that their was a problem with a pre authorisation of your card and that this lead to your bank holding two separate amounts. I'm pleased however that this was resolved on the Monday morning.

Once again, please accept my apologies and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you our usual high level of service and standards in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Northampton

Reviewed 6 June 2014

My family including my mum and aunt stayed at the Hilton (Northampton) overnight June 1st it was a wonderful experience after travelling from Scotland making the end of our holiday perfect. We would certainly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
hiltonguest, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Guest

I'm delighted that you all enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Spacious bright room, with good lay out, however two chairs at the table would of been helpful. Very helpful staff. The hotel had great leisure facilities, the pool a very nice added extra. Only downfall for us was quality of inroom dining for the money, it was not exactly as described and the menu and the side dishes were of a lower commercial quality, we would have expected something special so would not use that service again. We will however definately use the hotel again.

Dear Guest

I have spoken with the Head Chef regarding your in room dining experience. He would like to apologise that the meals that you ordered from our In Room Dining menu where not as described and that the side dishes were of poor quality. He has addressed this with the team members on duty that evening and arranged a course of re-training for them to ensure that they provide our guests with the high quality meal we aim to achieve.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The staff are welcoming, polite, very helpful and provide an excellent service. The room was slightly disappointing, as it could do with a repaint in a couple of areas. However the bed was very comfortable and afforded a good sleep. The pool and spa are of a good size and clean. Fantastic breakfast!! I did not have any other meals in the hotel so cannot coment, apart from the menu looked good.

Dear Guest

We do have a maintenance programme in place to update the hotel including the redecoration of the guest rooms. This year we have started to improve our communal areas and have already redecorated and replaced the furniture and carpet in the lobby and bar. We have started to plan the guest room improvements ready for 2015.

Thank you once again for your feedback. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and sincerely hope we can welcome you back to in the near future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 3 times and each time is wonderful!

Checkin has always been quick and easy. All information about breakfast and bar opening times was given.

Rooms are spacious and filled with tea and coffee. The bathrooms are stocked with shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and white fluffy towels. I feel the only down side to the rooms is the t.v channels are limited, but I did notice they had a built in DVD player so next time I stay I will bring along some films from home.

There is plenty of choice at breakfast, there's healthy continental and also a very good selection of hot food. I would prefer if there was a juice machine rather than having to ask a member of staff for a refill.

I would definately stay here again in the near future. Especially as it's free parking! (Everytime I've stayed it has been at least)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
hiltonguest, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest

We were extremely pleased to read all your positive comments of the hotel. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and sincerely hope we can welcome you back to in the near future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Very happy with Hilton Hotels. Regularly use them for family breaks and ate members of Hilton Honours. Will continue to use Hilton Hotels. We are extremely satisfied with the service and overall experience that Hilton offers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is the first time I have written a review but I felt I needed to because of my recent stay at the Hilton Northampton.

I am lucky to have stayed in lots of Hilton's around the world but the Hilton Northampton does not come close to its peers.
I booked the king suite for a break for myself and my wife , but the room was nothing more than what can be expected from a cheap hotel room.

I must admit the room was large with a bedroom and living area but the furniture looked like it had been dragged in from a storage cupboard to fill it!
The room smelt of damp and was filthy , the shower was "limp" and useless.

The carpets were ripped , window sills covered in cigarette ash even though it is a non smoking room!
The bathroom floor tiles were cracked , mould around the tap and just generally filthy,

The Staff were unhelpful and im sorry to say were miserable , no trademark friendly Hilton greeting.
When I went to the bar I was asked to come back later because the till was not working, and when i did get my drink the waitress Kicked!! a footstool across the bar area to rest the tray on.

We were on a stay and dine packaged and told we could only book in at 6.30 or 9.30!!
When we went to breakfast in the morning we were accused of already attending breakfast.

If your looking for a nice relaxing pampered break then stay way from the Hilton Northampton until they get there act together.

If you looking for somewhere dirty , old fashioned rooms , unfriendly staff and unwilling to help then this is the place for you.

Hilton Northampton , you need to get your act together because your letting the Hilton brand down............................

Room Tip: stay away from room 201!!
1  Thank Ben W
hiltonguest, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay here at the Hilton Northampton. I am most disappointed to learn that your experience was less than satisfying, for this, please accept my sincere apologies.

Once rooms have been cleaned by the Housekeepers they should then be checked by a Supervisor. The Head Housekeeper would like to apologise for the cleanliness issues that you found in your room. This room has now been deep cleaned and a course of re-training has been arranged for both the team member that cleaned the room and also the supervisor that checked it. In regards to the décor, and furniture we currently have a maintenance programme in place to update the hotel including the guest rooms. By the end of last year we had finished the work to our communal areas and are now planning the guest room improvements which should hopefully start next year.

I have spoken with the Deputy Hotel Manager regarding the unacceptable attitude of the staff you encountered whilst staying with us and he would like to apologise for this. It is our aim to make every guest feel cared for and respected throughout their stay so the team members in question will be addressed to ensure that they provide every guest with the customer service they deserve.