“Very tired and seriously overpriced”
Review of Hilton Northampton

Hilton Northampton
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Northampton
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This hotel is trading on the Hilton name but is sadly lacking in the type of amenities available at Hilton hotels in London, Birmingham or Liverpool. The rooms are dirty and tired with no internet access. The food available via room service is among the most expensive I've ever encountered and £5 for room charge is steep even for the Hilton in Sydney let alone Northampton. The room was bereft of a mini-bar and £37 for soup and steak and chips (from room service) left me aghast and underwhelmed; I would expect these prices at a 3 star Michelin restaurant but not at what is ostensibly a travel tavern. I was unable to have a seat in the restaurant the night I ordered room service as I had not booked despite only 5 other diners being at tables at 7pm on a Wednesday. The staff have very little training it appears; not their fault, and food is left outside of rooms stinking up the corridors for hours on end. My advice, stay at another hotel and avoid paying £125 a night for way below average facilities.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel nearby.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
DeputyManagerNortham, Deputy Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Mr Howey,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us here at Hilton Northampton.

We always endeavour to offer all our guests an individual service however it would appear that overall on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations.

Please accept my apologies for you not being able to book a table in the restaurant at a time to suit you, unfortunately we had a large number of bookings for that evening and to ensure a consistent high level of service we limit the number of bookings at any particular time.

I will ensure that on your next visit to the hotel you leave feeling far happier with the experience. Once again thank you for your valuable feedback and I do hope that this disappointing isolated stay does not deter you from staying with us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Northampton

Reviewed 8 July 2014

It's not the sort of place I would choose for a holiday hotel. It's some distance from the centre as are many of the chain hotels in Northampton. But as a business hotel requiring an overnight stay I would go there again. It's architecture is from an era when design wasn't at its best and there are the never ending corridors lined with faceless doors on every side. But the rooms are large, clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was a decent size and in good condition. The lack of tv channels on the television was a little disappointing and frustrating.
The redeeming factor was the restaurant which serves food much better than a lotr of hotel food . There is a very well prioced "eat as much as you can " Indian buffet which includes starters and a sweet (£16) or you can go a la carte. Both options were well presented and the food was flavoursome. Equally breakfast provided a very good range of options to suit most tastes. Service was good and staff were generally good -albeit on reception they chant out their well rehearsed lines in a way which removes all meaning behind the words of welcome.
But for a business trip I would choose tjhis hotel over other chain hotels i have tried in this area. It's perfectrly adequate and the food is good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear LeedsCritic,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay here at the Hilton Northampton.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and found the hotel to meet your needs. I was also really pleased to read that enjoyed both breakfast and dinner with us.

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

First the bad news. When we checked in on Friday evening there were 3 couples in front of us and only one person working at reception. I don’t wait 15 minutes at the supermarket checkout, why should I wait so long to check-in to a hotel?
No lift to the next floor, no air conditioning, no mini bar, a shower which sprayed so little water it was like a mist, and white bathroom tiles, with white grouting, are going to look terrible after a few months, - never mind a few years. There was silicon almost an inch wide round the bath going mouldy. If it wasn’t for the fact it was fairly recently redecorated, I’d say it was only 3 stars.
There was a young girl working at the restaurant with a really loud squeaky voice. I don’t want her to lose her job, but she should be told to try and keep it under control.
Now the good news. Although the orange juice (Which resembled freshly squeezed, but wasn’t that nice.) was strictly guarded by whoever was looking after showing guests to their table, so that you could only have one glass, the rest of the breakfast was very near perfect. Maybe the tea wasn’t hot enough, but that’s nit-picking.
I actually liked the long corridor to the rooms. (I’m trying.)
All in all not a very good hotel, at more than 700 pounds for a double for two nights, I think it was well overpriced. I wont be back.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
DeputyManagerNortham, Deputy Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear retzbach,

We always endeavour to offer all our guests an individual service however it would appear that overall on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations and please accept my sincere apologies for the time it took for you to be checked in. We constantly review our staffing levels to ensure an optimum level of service and I have addressed this with the Front Office Manager.

Thank you for brining the cleanliness issues in your room to our attention, I have spoken with the Housekeeping and Maintenance Manager and this issue is being addressed, they would also like to send their apologies to you.

I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your breakfast; we do have a range of juices available on the buffet, including orange juice if you would like a refill during your breakfast.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This place frankly is a dump ! The basics first of all, no aircon ! No fridge, no lift to room on 2nd floor. The gardens to the rear are a disgrace. The roof gutters are filled with overgrown weeds. Filthy windows and mould due to condensation .The standard of the rooms is very poor. The cleanliness is a major issue too, piece of biscuit under a chair the day we arrived was still there 3 days later ! Please find a Premier Inn or similar nearby....we will......cheaper and higher standards .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
DeputyManagerNortham, Deputy Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Duncan1955,

We always endeavour to offer all our guests an individual service however it would appear that overall on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations and please accept my sincere apologies for the cleanliness issues in your room. I have addressed this with the housekeeping team for immediate retraining.

We do not have a lift in the hotel as we only have two floors but do offer a porter service for those guests that require it. I apologise if this was not offered to you during your stay.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here with wife and two teenagers in June 2014. We booked a family room (bed and breakfast on a special weekend deal - well worth looking out for). On arrival we were upgraded to a room we would have been allocated had we been "gold" Hilton Honours members (sadly I don't get to stay in hotels often enough to have achieved that!)

Friendly and efficient receptionists. The hotel is 2 story and doesn't have a lift but we were offered help with our bags.

Room was nice and spacious: two double beds large enough so that our teenage boys didn't moan about having to share. All very clean. Views aren't great and window only opened a few inches (health and safety) but there was a fan in the room (no air con so it might get hot sometimes). The upgrade meant we got a few freebies (water, sweets, nuts and a free pint!) Nice bathroom with lots of towels and toiletries.

We used the pool which is warm and a reasonable size (and not much frequented) with a nice outlook onto lawns; again all nice and clean although some of the tile-work around the jacuzzi could have been tidied up. Nice fluffy towels provided by the pool reception. A pound coin is needed for the changing room locker (returnable). There is also a sauna and gym but I didn't use them.

Didn't try the restaurant for dinner but the breakfast is fantastic. Fantastic! Full English, with lots of fruit, bread, cereal and everything you could want. Didn't think the orange juice was quite top notch but that would be my only (tiny) moan.

Last time I stayed (a few years ago) I had to pay for the hotel car park but at least when we stayed (on a Saturday night) it was free.

The hotel is very conveniently located for main roads into and out of Northampton.

All in all this is a friendly, comfortable and convenient hotel with a nice pool and a great breakfast. Much recommended if you need somewhere to stay in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
DeputyManagerNortham, Deputy Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear JeremySG,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review following your recent stay here at the Hilton Northampton.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable and relaxing time and had the opportunity to use the health club during your stay. I have shared your lovely comments about our Hilton breakfast with our breakfast chef and the restaurant team.

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back to the Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here overnight with my 7 year old daughter to break up a long journey. Despite the nightmare of the roadworks outside the hotel and getting lost trying to find it we had a great stay. I drive an electric car and due to the extra distance in getting lost at the roadworks etc I didnt have much charge left. The staff were excellent and allowed me to charge my car round the back of the hotel.

The room was very compfortable and quite big, it was also very clean. We used the swimming pool and jacuzzi in the morning which were very good, my daughter had a great time. The breakfast was fantastic and we both left really full and pleased that I'd booked this hotel.

Room Tip: the rooms with 2 double beds are great for families
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
DeputyManagerNortham, Deputy Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Alex_J666,

I am delighted you had a relaxing time and both enjoyed the Hilton breakfast. I am pleased your daughter had a great time in the health club. I have shared your great feedback with the hotel team.

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you and your daughter back to the Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Excellent experience! 2 nts, 1 family rm for 2 adults, 2 kids (<3 years old). The staff were very welcoming. They had noted that we had 2 children & had kindly placed us in a quiet room on the ground floor at the one end of the hotel (especially as there was a function on that evening). Breakfast was fantastic, with plenty of choice for us and the children. Unlike many restaurants, the highchairs were exceptionally clean (on both mornings) and despite the hotel being fully booked we did not feel we had to hurry to vacate the table. Accidently left our ipad in the room and didn't realise until we were on our way home. Fortunately (& to our relief) the very honest & trustworthy housekeeping staff had handed it in to reception staff, who had kindly stowed it away in the safe. I have stayed in many hotels over the years and I must admit I thought the ipad would have 'gone' but the Hilton staff were very, very honest indeed - thank you.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Louise B
DeputyManagerNortham, Deputy Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Louise B,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review following your stay here at the Hilton Northampton.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable and relaxing time and enjoyed your Hilton Breakfast. I have shared your lovely comments with both the front office and restaurant teams.

I am thrilled that we were able to find your iPad and pass this back to you and I have also shared your comments with the housekeeping team.

Warm regards