“Based on recent rave reviews I'm wondering if we were in a different hotel!?”
Review of The Langham Hotel

The Langham Hotel
Ranked #21 of 27 Hotels in Northampton
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

First I must say the elderly lady who greeted us was pleasant and helped us to keep a large birthday cake cool in the kitchen fridge. Also the English breakfast was large and filling, but not at all elegantly presented.

That's the good part over. We were a group of five in three rooms, all in the main building. All rooms were atrociously hot, with bathroom radiators stuck on full blast and the two rooms at the front had filthy sash windows that opened about six inches at the top. Cleanliness was poor, dusty surfaces and grimy bathrooms with discoloured grout, thick limescale around the shower door and the shower head - totally unneccesary. There were even some hairs (unidentified I might add!) on the wall...The decor and is very dated and whilst clean but dated is acceptable, dirty is not. The furnishings are practical but could easily be made more appealing.

The hotel bar did not even have bottled water to purchase nor Diet Coke in any form - odd!

The whole place has seen far better days which is sad but something really needs to be done to modernise. It is actually the grimest place I've stayed in memory. I acknowledge it is not a boutique hotel (I'm not sure it's title of hotel is really appropriate) but the £65 room rate felt expensive considering the conditions.

Fortunately we had spent the previous night at another hotel nearby and only had to endure one night. Our disappointment about the rooms were so numerous that we didn't bother raising any, we just settled up and left. It's a concern that whoever cleans and/or checks the rooms finds the standard suitable for guests; I don't think a complaint on check out would have made the slightest difference alas... I would suggest only staying as a last resort.

2  Thank DelighfulTea

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We arrived late and were greeted by a nice young man who took care of us at once. We had requested a room at the back of the hotel, as Tripadvisor reviewers had mentioned the rooms were quieter. This turned out to be very true! The room itself was adequate for our needs, although I must say a renovation would do wonders, especially in the bathroom where there was mold on the ceiling and around the shower stall doors. It was nice to have a fridge and tea & coffee are always welcome. The breakfasts are enormous, way too much for us to eat. I would suggest to cut down on breakfast and put the money into renovations. I was surprised to see the two brothers who run the hotel are also the ones who clean the rooms. The room was always neat when we came back in the evening. This hotel has potential to become a better than average hotel with a little work.
There was a note on the bureau requesting payment in cash, but I spoke with the front desk and told them when we booked in November there was no mention of this on the website. Since we were travelling from Canada for one month there was no way we could switch the method of payment to cash from credit card. They told us that it was alright.

Room Tip: A back room is quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

11 of us booked the Langham as we were meeting up with friends and family,we were welcomed at reception by Mary who was very welcoming and booked us in quickly.We checked our rooms all had what we needed,comfy bed ,flat tv small fridge and tea and coffee with biscuits and 2 chocolates.
As it was very warm we thought we would have a drink ,the bar was not open but Mary came in a served us nice cold reasonably priced drinks.
Breakfast in the morning was excellent ,a choice of 6 different cereals and any combination of breakfast,English consisted of 2 sausage ,3 bacon .2 eggs,beans and mushrooms with as much toast as you wished plus jam and Marmalade.
All in all an very good stay for £48-00 per room.
We would definitely use it again and recommend it.

Room Tip: we found all our room were ok.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Stayed for a night at the Langham, was welcomed by a lovely lady (think her name was Mary). She made us feel instantly welcome, she also worried about me having a room upstairs as I walk with a walking stick, she was so apologetic, but I didn't book from the hotel, I used a booking agency and I didn't mention my disability so no-one was to blame, but myself! The rooms are quite small compared to maybe travelodge, but this is an old establishment so they are what you expect, they were clean, we had a fridge, hair dryer, tv and even an iron and ironing board so that was all I needed! Breakfast was full English and very good, plenty of it to set us up on our journey and nobody was pushing you to hurry up, service was good and we didn't have to wait very long, another bonus! We said goodbye to Mary when we handed in our keys and it was like saying goodbye to a friend, very warm lady. So overall, good stay, good service and would definitely go back! And if the other guests read this that were on the pub walk from Harrow and Luton, was lovely to meet you, add us on Facebook! :)

Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here whilst visiting for the weekend. The hotel was clean, lots of storage in the room, friendly staff, nice tv in the room, the only thing I would say is it could do with a little maintenance work as things are outdated and some areas such as the bathroom is starting to mark and look tatty. All in all I would stay here again as the hotel was at a budget standard (like its advertised) and behind it is a stunning park with a playground and lots of fields.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Stayed here for one night to go to watch cricket. Hotel was easy walk from cricket ground and very close to a great Indian restaurant which hotel recommended. Our room and all of the hotel was spotlessly clean the room was fully equipped with EVERYTHING we could possibly need. Bed comfortable, shower huge and view across park beautiful. We didn't use the bar but the breakfast was huge and delicious. Really didn't expect to find such a gem at such a great price!

Room Tip: room 12a had lovely views and huge shower!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DAWN M
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed here over a period of 12 weeks from May to June 2014. I stayed in various rooms.....favourites being in the extention at the rear of the hotel. I found the rooms to be clean and quiet, adequate for my needs for a business stay of four or five nights.
The service was friendly....family run.
The rooms are a bit of a mixture.....bit of attention to shower heads....but always cleaned with with adequate tea/coffee making facility and a fridge!
Parking is available on the main road but you need to move before 8am. However, the hotel has secure, gated parking to the rear....you just have to chance the gravel, rutted track to get there!!
The Full English breakfast is a treat......10/10 here.....you will be set up for the day!
They prefer cash payment...says keeps their costs down.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for rear of hotel...view of park.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business