The Langham Hotel
  • Pool
Coach House Hotel(Northampton)
Hopping Hare(Northampton)
View Hotel
All reviewsfamily run hoteltown centresecure car parkingrashers of baconplenty of storage spacefull englishironing boardexcellent value for moneytwin roomcooked breakfastbreakfast roomexcellent hotelroom was clean and comfortablefamily roomexcellent breakfastbudget hotelmary
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Just returned from this hotel and my wife and I were very impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness from the family /staff.
The whole place was spotless, the room was more than adequate and the beds comfortable and the breakfast was as good as any I've had in any hotel, including fresh fruit, cereals and a very full English. The free car park is very secure but the entrance road to it a bit uneven still we had absolutely no difficulty with it
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and on my next visit to Northampton this is where we will stay

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

This my be an established hotel but that's all one can say cheerfully. The rooms are dirty. The decor is reminiscent of a horror film I once watched. The water from the shower is luke warm. The room I stayed in was Very Cold. Yes. Very. So cold I asked for a room change the following morning as I had a fitful chilly sleep. This was probably due to a broken main window. The room change was handled with complete disdain by the owners, with no apology and sheer bloody-minded lack of help. Eventually I got a different room but bed lights didn't work and again the room was very cold. The breakfast was produced in haste. No welcome as you entered the room, except from the massive and loud on wall tv with Sky roling news.

In short this has to be the worse place I have ever stayed in. A humbling horrible experience and not worth the money. You have been warned!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Smileyorb
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed 1 night only, booking 2 doubles and 1 single. Rooms were clean,bright and spacious, very comfortable beds. Staff were polite, and breakfast was substantial. Overall, very good value. Although the hotel has parking at rear, it is very tight to get in so much better to use the free road parking in 1 of the 2 roads opposite.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I booked a double room and was given a family room for same price, bargain great big room to ourselves none next door complete and utter peace 2 single beds I double. patio doors en suite could have done with updating shower not very good no hot water and the room was freezing. Flat screened TV tea coffee biscuits and sweets. there was a roof window on the ceiling which made the heavy torrential rain belt off it hence two sleepless nights Breakfast was one sausage fried egg toast and coffee or tea and 5 slices of bacon .yoghurt fruit jams cereal fruit juice.Staff were friendly at first on the Booking.com confirmation it said 11.00 checkout one of the staff came and banged on the door at 1025 shouted checkout time is 1030 we left he didn't say anything and for that I would not go back there

Room Tip: the ground floor was very quiet except for the staff having a smoke outside our room in the early hours of the morning
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lillymaypod
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We booked on-line to stay here, wanting a family room for the 3 of us. We were told there were no family rooms available, but when we checked into our room there was one double and 2 singles in there. And guess what? Our son's room had one double bed and two singles in that as well!

The cracked window had another piece of glass glued over it, and there was an explanatory letter 'apologising' for the state of the windows while the proprietors were in 'discussions' with the council about replacing the windows.

While looking for a socket to plug in the bedside lamp, we moved the cabinet by the side of the bed only to discover a rather thick layer of dust - there is absolutely no excuse for such an appalling neglect on the part of the chambermaids. In addition to this, only one of the sockets in the double socket actually worked. The bathroom was relatively clean but the proprietors should talk to their laundry suppliers as 2 of the towels had holes in them (not small ones, either). The odd spot-check/quality control wouldn't hurt. They might also want to lie on the matresses now and again - our lumpy creaky one was well-used and past its use-by date - I am not lying when I say that when we lay on the bed it sagged in the middle and we rolled towards each other. All well and good for romance but we can maintain our own momentum without the added assistance of a mattress that you might prefer to see decorating a skip.

Breakfast was curious - the full fried english had uncooked tomatoes with it. That may be to some people's taste, but what would be wrong in being asked how we might like them? My wife asked for scrambled eggs and got something more akin to an omelette - one might argue that this is a small thing but it ain't that difficult to distinguish between scrambled and omelette.

We tried to speak with one of the proprietors but he was really quite dismissive. He told us that we should have checked about the family room because 'things change from day to day' Why should we have to keep checking? He said that he 'heard' us about the cleanliness of the room, and that was pretty much that. There was absolutely no hint of 'I'm really sad to hear you feel this way, what could we do to make it better?' Let's be honest, it doesn't cost money to say those few simple words, and goes someway to placating a customer.

Both my wife and myself trained in the hospitality industry and whether you're in the profession or not, you still know what's right and easy to rectify. The layer of dust issue was simply galling and easy to avoid.

While we try to avoid the Premier Lodges/Travelodges of this world and where possible use independents I'm afraid that while this type of establishment continues to endeavour to maintain such low standards then the chains will only continue to prosper. While they may be purely 'bed factories' I will wager there is never an issue of cleanliness.

Finally, you may have noticed that I've not even mentioned the price we paid for the 'privilege' of staying in this establishment, but I will say that I could have gotten cleaner facilites and more cheerful staff elsewhere for if not less then pretty much the same sort of price charged by The Langham Hotel, Northampton and in future I'm afraid that I won't have a problem with that.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family