“Faultless family lunch”

Hopping Hare
Ranked #40 of 629 Restaurants in Northampton
Price range: US$21 - US$39
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Hopping Hare is a restaurant, pub & hotel. FoodThe quality of our food is really important to us.That's why everything is prepared from the finest ingredients, the freshest produce and the very best meat and fish.Our head chef has hand picked suppliers who support our food ethos and knows where the meat is reared, how the fish is caught and where the vegetables have been grown. We source locally as much as possible.Our Menus are updated regularly offering slowly braised, heart-warming comfort food when it's chilly outside, and lighter, pan-fried dishes with tender fresh vegetable and salads during the summer months. We offer chef specials every day, while Sunday's menu offers you a choice of Great British roasts with all the trimmings. It's always advisable to book to ensure a place in our relaxed conservatory restaurant.Table service is also available in the contemporary dining room with its more casual atmosphere.DrinkWhen the temperatures dip outside, we get the log fires burning to create a warm welcome, while in summer the sun streams through the open doors to reveal a large decked area that's perfect for outdoor days and balmy evenings.The contemporary dining room area is cleverly zoned by interior design to accommodate groups of all sizes. There are perfect spots for business people, backed up by free WiFi throughout the building. You will also find quiet, intimate corners for couples, fireside sofas and seating clusters for small groups as well as semi-formal table arrangements. We provide newspapers every day.Our bar staff know a thing or two about serving the perfect drink for all occasions. A range of super chilled lagers sit happily alongside cask ales - all kept in tip-top condition by our cellar manager. A well balanced wine list includes something for all tastes and is available by the glass or the bottle, and there's an extremely well stocked spirits range. Soft drinks & freshly brewed teas or coffee are available at all times.For very special occasions we stock a range of champagnes.
Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

Visited for lunch today for our anniversary with two small children in tow and had a wonderful lunch. From the moment we arrived and were given complementary glasses of fizz for our anniversary to the stunning food and perfect service - we couldn’t fault it.

I ate off the set Sunday lunch menu and my husband off the main menu and neither of us had any complaints at all about portion sizes - there was definitely plenty of food.

Feel very foolish that we’ve got such a wonderful restaurant on our doorstep and have never visited before! Already looking forward to coming back.

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank NickyTUk
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2018

Dear Nicky,

Many thanks for your kind review and I am delighted that you enjoyed a wonderful lunch on Sunday.

Our objective is to serve outstanding quality food at great value prices and I believe that our menu options achieve this and provide a wide choice for all occasions.

We do regularly have customers who comment that they have not visited The Hopping Hare for years and are very pleasantly surprised by the changes we have made. We are the only restaurant in Northampton with 2 AA Rosettes, we have been inducted into the TripAdvisor Hall of Fame (certificates of excellence for 5 consecutive years) and we have luxury en-suite bedrooms.

We look forward to you becoming one of our family of regular customers.

Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

Well, have not eaten here for some months, but wanted to make this comment.
We have not visited for a while as we have found it to be expensive for the amount of food.
The staff are good, food served well.
The lunch menu was changed some while ago and New one not to our taste.I realise there is now a special offer though.
There used to be a lovely Friday and Saturday offer including a glass of prosecco, that is now less little gems and no drink, same price.
I cannot afford to eat here regularly anyway but considered it special.However although I do not want an enormous amount, that is not the style of food it is, you do want enough to eat and not feel for what you have spent, still not full.
The times we are living in mean many of us have less money than we did so this is an issue.
Last year I enjoyed a wonderful christmas day with three others here, expensive but great.Boxing day meal a little disappointing.This year, we noted another price increase and are all eating at home, it's simply too much.
I am sure we will try again sometime as quality food is not so easy to find in Northampton, but a little bigger a portion might help.

Date of visit: April 2018

Dear Jan,

Thank you for your feedback.

The Hopping Hare offer is excellent quality food at great value prices and we have a choice of menus with samples on our website. We do indeed have exceptional value menus including:

Showcase (Friday & Saturday nights) 1 course £14; 2 courses £17; 3 courses £20.
Sunday roasts 2 courses £20; 3 courses £25.

I am please that you enjoyed a wonderful Christmas Day with us last year. The Christmas Day menu is priced at £90 this year (£85 in 2017). The Boxing Day menu this year is £35 which is £5 less that 2017.

I do hope you will try out some of these great value offers.

Reviewed 8 November 2018

We choose here again as a spur of the moment and didn't book ,we came at lunch yet again,as a person with a severe fish allergy I'm careful and as a executive head chef and a chef of the year finalist (many years ago in fact my ex head chef won it),the menu is small but for a reason we had the bread to start ,very nice ,the mains beautifully plated and hot not a massive plate full but you go for the experience I'm sure you will get your third rosette ,see you again soon and many thanks to your chefs and your front of house team

Date of visit: November 2018

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for your kind review and for awarding the team top marks, very much appreciated by us all.

The feedback from an experienced Executive Head Chef is especially welcomed and relevant and we are delighted that you enjoyed The Hopping Hare experience.

We do have several menus available on different days (eg Showcase on Friday and Saturday nights) with sample menus on our website.

We are very much looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

Had a family meal here, all I can say is have a snack before you go the portions are so small I was still hungry when I left

Date of visit: October 2018
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2018

Dear Stephanie,

Thank you for your feedback.

All our food is cooked in-house and our offer is to serve excellent quality food at great value prices, at 2 AA Rosette standard. We do not try to compete with chains which offer large portions of mediocre quality, but our portion sizes should be appropriate and I apologise if this was not the case with your meal.

I do hope you will dine with us again and if there are any concerns with your meal then please raise them with the Manager on Duty who will resolve them to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 7 October 2018

After a phone call explaining I had a seafood alergy we booked for lunch , three menus to choose from and a lovely wine list the two gentle men who served us were excellent as was the food highly recommend to any one

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank Stevechef64
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Dear Steve,

Excellent quality food at great value prices alongside first class customer service are our highest priorities and I am pleased we delivered.

We very much look forward to your next visit.