“Fantastic!”

Hopping Hare
Ranked #45 of 633 Restaurants in Northampton
Price range: US$21 - US$40
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Hopping Hare is a restaurant, pub & hotel. FoodThe quality of our food is really important to us.That's why everything is prepared from the finest ingredients, the freshest produce and the very best meat and fish.Our head chef has hand picked suppliers who support our food ethos and knows where the meat is reared, how the fish is caught and where the vegetables have been grown. We source locally as much as possible.Our Menus are updated regularly offering slowly braised, heart-warming comfort food when it's chilly outside, and lighter, pan-fried dishes with tender fresh vegetable and salads during the summer months. We offer chef specials every day, while Sunday's menu offers you a choice of Great British roasts with all the trimmings. It's always advisable to book to ensure a place in our relaxed conservatory restaurant.Table service is also available in the contemporary dining room with its more casual atmosphere.DrinkWhen the temperatures dip outside, we get the log fires burning to create a warm welcome, while in summer the sun streams through the open doors to reveal a large decked area that's perfect for outdoor days and balmy evenings.The contemporary dining room area is cleverly zoned by interior design to accommodate groups of all sizes. There are perfect spots for business people, backed up by free WiFi throughout the building. You will also find quiet, intimate corners for couples, fireside sofas and seating clusters for small groups as well as semi-formal table arrangements. We provide newspapers every day.Our bar staff know a thing or two about serving the perfect drink for all occasions. A range of super chilled lagers sit happily alongside cask ales - all kept in tip-top condition by our cellar manager. A well balanced wine list includes something for all tastes and is available by the glass or the bottle, and there's an extremely well stocked spirits range. Soft drinks & freshly brewed teas or coffee are available at all times.For very special occasions we stock a range of champagnes.
Reviewed 17 February 2019 via mobile

Some of the best food I've ever tasted, quirky dishes, beautifully presented, and flavours one cannot forget, see you again soon!

Dear Cameron,

Many thanks for a fantastic review, very much appreciated by us all.

Excellent quality food at great value prices are our highest priorities and I am delighted that you are pleased with our offer.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2019 via mobile

We decided to come here as a post Valentine’s Day dinner. I’d heard good things but feel a little disappointed really.

Starter of pate = 1 slice of average pate, 1 slice of bread (no butter or toasted) and a bit of chutney. Not really restaurant standard and had to go ask for another slice of bread. Another couple told the waitress the exact same thing as we had observed.

The roast beef dinner was ok, not particularly hot and the beef whilst nice and rare was a little grissly. I had the hake but asked for a plain butter rather than marmite butter but it came with nothing so was dry. I asked for some sauce and the waitress did get me some basil veloute which took the dryness away but didn’t match the other flavours. I expected sweet potato on the side and crispy kale however it was actually sweet potato purée (a smear of) and 3 pieces of non crispy kale. Very odd and very small. The cauliflower cheese was amazing!

Dessert was a brownie with raspberries and ice cream but it wasn’t raspberries it was 3 dots of raspberry purée (spotting a theme here). It was nice however.

The waitresses were pleasant but a little bit absent not sure if they were understaffed.

We probably won’t revisit and wouldn’t recommend as there are too many other, better restaurants around.

Dear Amber,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your visit. We are in the process of changing our menus and we will note the points you have raised.

Whilst not complacent, we are one of the very best restaurants in the County and the only restaurant in Northampton with 2 AA Rosettes. We source from the very best suppliers and every single dish is prepared and cooked in house and it is this that stands us head and shoulders above our competitors.

I would be delighted if you would try us again and if you have any feedback, negative or positive, then please ask to speak to The Head Chef who will be pleased to discuss with you.

Reviewed 17 February 2019 via mobile

I decided to eat here the other night with my other half
Wow what a meal I have eaten at many michelin star restaurants and this one restaurant certainly holds its own
I started with the scallops what can I say lovely sear on the outside soft and just cooked in the centre some of the best I’ve ever had what a clever use of apple too
My other half had the ham hock terrine served at the correct temperature not to much gelatine and the black pudding scotch egg wow and offset lovely by the mustard mayo
I had the duo of beef lovely dish fillet cooked to perfection and the cheek you could cut with a spoon and a kick arse bourguignon sauce the mash was smooth and buttery just a lovely plate of food and my other half had three little pigs you could tell the belly pork had been cooked low and slow as it was melt in the mouth
The croquette was full of pork loin cooked perfection
The sage and onion purée what a stroke of genius
I had treacle tart pastry was nice and thin and crispy and the filling sticky and lush offset by the soft and creamy clotted cream ice cream my other half had the black currant parfait was also a great dessert I had to share a bit the sponge and honeycomb helped to add a bit of texture
So all in all a great meal and the service was excellent always on hand when you needed them
Would recommend to anyone as we eat out a lot and I can say it was one of the best meals I’ve had

Dear Andrew,

Many thanks for your in-depth review of the meals you enjoyed at The Hopping Hare. Complimentary feedback from a committed ''foodie'' who eats out regularly at top restaurants is always really satisfying and a great compliment to Darren Curson our Head Chef.

Darren is a Master Chef of Great Britain and we have exciting plans to establish The Hopping Hare as a venue that discerning customers will travel a considerable distance to visit.

We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2019 via mobile

This might be one of my new favourite places. Everything cooked beautifully which as a chef is nice to go somewhere and just eat. The restaurant was busy and staff still attentive. Good choice of wines too.

Date of visit: February 2019
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2019

Dear Gareth,

Many thanks for your kind review and for awarding the team top marks, very much appreciated by all of us.

It is always very reassuring when we receive compliments on our food offer from a chef.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards, David.

Reviewed 15 February 2019 via mobile

Four of us dined here last night, booked under the Valentine’s Evening Special menu; amuse bouche, choice of four starters, choice of four mains, champagne and Rose little sweet and a dessert for £35 per head.

Arrived early and was seated after getting drinks from bar. Menus arrived minus wine list. Wine list arrived but we sat waiting for ages for a waiter and one of us went up to bar to get some drinks. The restaurant staff and deputy manager were totally rushed off their feet; all tables were full with the Valentine’s special, plus people in bar side ordering food too. Staff very pleasant and apologetic but just way too many tables to cater for.

Waited approximately 45 mins for the amuse bouche, which was nice, and another wait for starters. And this is where it went so wrong.

The two men opted for scallops, the two women the smoked salmon and crab. Pretty but tiny portions. The salmon and crab was lovely. The scallops with pork belly looked amazing, the scallop roe on the plate too. Except when the scallop was cut into it flaked into pieces and was quickly identified as round pieces of cod!

The deputy manager handled our complaint; taking the plate back to the kitchen. He tried to explain that maybe it was another supplier, but my friend said it was obviously cod cut into circles to appear to be scallops. Deputy manager returned from kitchen and did admit, after a little prodding, that the kitchen had no more scallops.

My friend was asked to go and meet the head chef near the bar and away from the table. Again it was suggested that it was different suppliers and that they had been scallops. But then the head chef admitted that another chef was too scared to inform him of the scallops running out and had been cutting cod into circles and passing them off as scallops. He even said that this chef would be fired that evening! My friend’s counter argument was that as head chef he would be in full control of all food leaving the kitchen. The sheer cheek of trying to pass circular cut cod, complete with a little roe on the side, is completely out of order.

We were given a round of free drinks, including a bottle of wine, and the deputy manager was really sorry and embarrassed. At no point did the actual manager come over to apologise. We also received a discount off the bill. However the entire evening was spoilt.

Mains were ok, fillet too rare for me personally, and the little champagne and Rose mini sweet was lovely. Best course was the pudding; mango cheesecake.

I have to wonder if our table’s scallops were the only fake flakey ones or had the restaurant served cod circles to anyone else? Extremely poor and potentially a Trading Standards issue.

Overall a disappointing experience.

Date of visit: February 2019
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2019

Dear Manda,

We are very sorry for the mistake that was made and we are dealing with the matter appropriately.

In mitigation, we dealt with the mistake on the night as best as we could and we believed that the way we tried to compensate was to you and your friends' satisfaction, but clearly this is not the case and I again apologise.

Our reputation is for serving excellent quality food at great value prices and it is of little comfort to us that the vast majority of feedback on the night was extremely positive.

I do hope that you consider our actions and this response is appropriate.