“Not impressed”

Ranked #206 of 544 Restaurants in Northampton
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 May 2014

A very disappointing experience. Very average food, below average service and little or no atmosphere. I had hoped for better.

Attention to detail is, in my view, important, as is first impressions. The first thing all of us noticed was that the cutlery on the table, there were 6 of us didn't match. Neither did the glasses brought to the table with the jug of water we requested.

I ordered the fillet steak and when it was brought to the table it was wrongly given to my son who had ordered the sirloin. It didn't look like fillet and, once it was correctly given to me, it turned out to be the toughest, medium cooked, fillet I had ever had.

As I said previously, there were six of us. When the potatoes were brought to the table we thought that more would follow as there wasn't enough for us all. The serving of vegetable was even worse. In both cases we had to order more. The first dish of vegetables had 4 florets of broccoli, the second had 2. it was much the same with the other vegetables. Really not enough, even though extra was ordered, to cater for all of us. Of the 6 of us there, only my wife was happy with her main course, the rest of us were not.

The starters were ok, as were the desserts, however, I could have done with a little less tomato based sauce on my fishcake starter. I could barely taste the fish.

It's a shame our experience was so poor as it's important to support independent local restaurants. This is not one that we will be visiting again though.

Not recommended.

7  Thank folkjokeopus

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We recently dined at the Vineyard on their pre-theatre menu. On the plus side the food is cooked fresh and the prices are really very reasonable.
Unfortunately the tastiest thing I ate were the vegetables, my steak had little flavour and the Diane sauce was very thin. The garlic mushrooms I had as a starter didn't taste of garlic although I could see pieces of garlic in the butter.
All in all I'd say if you are looking for somewhere to eat prior to the theatre that won't break the bank then it certainly ticks the boxes, but don't expect to be blown away.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This little restaurant tries very hard to give you that special independent restaurant experience. Northampton sadly lacks quality eating establishments...there are a few good ones but not enough. The food is good, perhaps a little on the expensive side but it's worth the dining experience. It is rarely very busy during the week (from my observation) which is such a shame. They do offer a pre-theatre menu which is a little cheaper. I would like to see a few more vegetarian/healthy options on the menu. A very friendly restaurant and a good place to catch up with friends.

1  Thank pelham_11
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I enjoued a splendid pre theatre dinner this week. It was a fabulous get together with friends and set near the theatre which is just the perfect location, literally a few minuts walk. It surrounded by the guildhall vintage buildings in the nice area of town.

The food was amazing, not to heavy which is the last thing you want before the theatre. amazing choices and delicous food. I will be using the vineyard for all our pre theatre and general occassions. I really enjoyed the service , a lovely welcoming and warm place.

5 stars all round for this place.

1  Thank ellie w
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The food was amazing and the atmosphere was classic. its the opposite to a chain restaurant which i like. You arent rushed in and out like other places and you feel that you can just sit and enjoy your time in a warm and friendly environment. The staff are friendly and make you feel like regualrs, really genuine people.

My Partner and I both had a starter, homemade soup and goats cheese. Totally devine. Then melt in the mouth steak. i cant recommend this place enough!!

All i can say is that its a shame that this place isnt 4 times bigger,it was fully booked so we couldnt come in for our wedding anniversary last week. But it was worth every penny and the best value for money.

Anyone who will visit here will definitely feel the same and my partner and I. Don't even listen to the utterly riddiculous reviews, too much time on their hands and you will always find people to complain about anything and everything.

A hidden Gem in a Town like Northampton.

2  Thank Anne590