“Saturday lunch out with the other half”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lumbertubs

Lumbertubs
Ranked #142 of 516 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Saturday lunch out with the other half”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Having not been to The Lumbertubs for a number of years we decided to give it a go. We were actually pleasantly surprised.
There is a nice kiddie play area outside with benches and a good sized car park.

Inside:
We entered the pub and were surprised by the nicely decorated areas and the relaxed atmosphere. We arrived at approximately 1pm and it had a handful of tables occupied and a few more larger ones reserved (although we left at 2pm and they were still unoccupied so maybe they were set up for later in the day).
We ordered at the bar and paid in full (I do not like to set up a 'tab' as I find it difficult to keep track of what has been spent) for a pint and a small glass of wine. It appears that they only have one type of wine glass and so my small measure looked a little lost in the glass, however it still tasted good.
I did note that although it was the last day in August there was a display advertising and promoting their Christmas and Festive menus! Also with a countdown of how many days to go.... Please lets just get the summer finished and the kiddies back to school first before that's thrown at us!

We found a booth on the lower level which was light and cheerful due to the big windows that looked out onto the kids play area.

Menu:
The menu looked very appetizing and I was having trouble just picking one thing to eat as I wanted to try about 4 dishes!There were a number of items on the menu that are not in your usual pub chain restaurants. In the end I opted for Spicy Lamb Kofta Tortillas and my husband had Ribs and Wings. I noted the table number and went to order at the food point (which is by the bar).

Ordering:
There were 2 parties ordering who were in front; the first finished up pretty quickly but the party in front of me (2 guys) were ordering for a party of 12 (!!) and preparation and organisation are key when ordering for a party of this size; clearly they were either making the orders up or just totally forgot who was having what! On top of that they ordered 12 drinks and some where having ice, some not, some a slice, some not, some a 1/2 pint some a pint, some a large glass some a small. Cue frustration! A member of staff must have been observing and duly served me at the bar till whilst this party carried on doing their 'thang'!

Upon ordering the above I was told that their were no Spicy Lamb Kofta's on the menu so I opted for my second choice Stilton and Mushroom Burger. The staff member asked if I wanted a 6oz or 12oz burger (I choose 6oz), whether I wanted to swap my chips for criss cross ones (I did not), whether I wanted to 'double' the ribs and wings (which I did not either) and whether we wanted any starters or sides (we did not) and if we would like any drinks (which we already had); she then apologised and stated that they have to ask all of these questions. I paid and returned to the table.

Food:
The food came in around 20/25 minutes. The waiter was attentive to our needs and asked if we wanted any other sauces other than what was brought out. We politely said no thank you. My husband says his ribs and wings were really tasty and although not the best he has ever had were very good and would order them again. They came out on a sizzling skillet of onions. My burger was tasty and although had been flamegrilled I could tell it was frozen and not made fresh. Still, it came with a peppercorn sauce and tasted very good.
We contemplated dessert but the portion sizes were quite generous and we decided against it.

Overall The Lumbertubs is a lovely place for a spot of lunch with family or friends and we would go back if around in the area.

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Family Get Together”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

This was the fifth time we have visited the Lumbertubs in recent weeks and again were not disappointed, the food was excellent and very good value. The staff were excellent too considering we were a party of twelve. Needless to say we will be visiting them again soon.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Janet M
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Much better than last visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

We haven't visited the Lumbertubs for some time after a disappointing experience however we were really very pleased with our visit last week. Excellent very quick service and good hot food at sensible pub prices. We will return sooner next time!

2 Thank kevin f
northants
“Delicious food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Welcoming, relaxing atmosphere and the food is delicious.We visited the Lumbertubs at lunchtime and thoroughly enjoyed our meal.There is something for everyone and i would definitely recommend this restaurant to family and friends.

1 Thank TurnerT
northampton
“Cheerful and cheap”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

There are no pretentions about this place but the food we had was tasty and inexpensive. Service was good. It seems ideal for families wanting a meal out in a children friendly atmosphere without breaking the bank. There is a safe outside area for the kids to enjoy. Food is typical ok pub fare and the sizzling grill dishes are a bonus. You can even get a decent pint of proper beer if that is your tipple, as well as all the usuals.

2 Thank brucebassa