“Great place but disappointing Sunday lunch”
Review of The Olde England

The Olde England
Ranked #102 of 538 Restaurants in Northampton
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Recently opened real ale pub which does light meals
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I really like this place, it has friendly staff, a great selection of hedgerow wines and ciders, and is a little gem to have around the corner but I was disappointed with the veggie Sunday lunch when I went for Mothers' Day (yes, I am late reviewing!). Cauliflower cheese should be a side dish, not a main event! The roast potatoes were also dry - and not at all crispy. I hear the pies and sausages are good though so I'll give it another try mid-week for food, and anyway, it gets the drinks and atmosphere right.

1  Thank Karen P

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I've been here more times than I can count. If you're a real ALE person this is the place for you. Endless variation and the quirkiest cubby hole ordering system I've ever seen.

People will find the tables scattered around with card games, board games a refreshing change from "chain" pubs. Plenty of interesting folk visit to read, chat and socialise.

One one occasion went for evening meal. Very busy - run off their feet. But they coped admirably. Food was wholesome, authentic and AMAZING value.

Lost a star as the toilets are not FIRST CLASS. They need to refurb here and raise their game which would make them OUTSTANDING.

Having said that I'm in there 2 or 3 times a month so it's gotta be doing a LOT right.

3  Thank StephenBell104
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I had heard good things about the Sunday Lunch so thought I should give it a try. Firstly the staff were very welcoming and made you feel at home straight away. The building is fantastic and the pub is very unique. If you are a real ale or cider pub you will be very happy with the selection of drinks ordered from an ordering hatch.

The food?? Brilliant. A home cooked roast. Reasonably priced at £7.50-£8.95. Very generous portions and the main thing is incredibly tasty.

If I am looking to go out for Sunday lunch I will look no further than The Olde England pub..

3  Thank Sean M
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Been in Northampton two and half month s this jewel of a public house is on our doorstep. We have watered our taste buds with quite a few tasters of real ales and ciders .we have smelt the delightful roast dinners that we have missed without a booking you have no chance lol I have had crisps pork pie and a cake then a piece of cheese.locals are friendly the pub is olde worldly has a warm fire on in the winter upstairs and downstairs eating and drinking areas.clean toilets. I think on a Thursday night theres a book reading with folk songs check the poster. Pub is on the corner next door to greengrocers in Kettering Road next to The Racecourse.

1  Thank lillymaypod
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have been here a few times and tried a good selection of the flavored wines and the best one for me is the Cherry. Its so lovely worth a try if you like sweet wine. I know there is a good selection of ales and beers. We decided to go for Sunday lunch and it was very good homemade food. Great portions and the presentation was lovely. The staff were very attentive and the service was excellent. If you are looking for homemade food and somewhere different to go this is the place. I would recommend this to anyone. If you are look for a place for a good chat with friends there is no music and the atmosphere is just right. There are board games if you fancy going with a group of friends. I will be going again soon to try the rest of the menu!

1  Thank MissDolly1266