“Average chain hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, England
“Average chain hotel”
Reviewed 10 June 2010

I don't usually write reviews for chain hotels, but thought I would for this one. We arrived late at night and had to wait 10 minutes for someone to arrive at reception to check us in. We later found out that he was not an employed member of staff, but was cover staff. He then gave us incorrect information about breakfast times (which, luckily, we checked in the room). The room was fairly standard fare for a chain hotel like this, although it was a twin rather than the double we had booked (but it was too late to bother changing). We were disappointed that there wasn't any water in the room. On the first morning we were surprised to find that they had taken in the breakfast buffet before the scheduled end of breakfast, but the very helpful staff went to great lengths to get us a cooked breakfast, which was really very good. On the second morning the breakfast was buffet service (again cleared away very promptly, unfortunately), which wasn't as good (it was dry and had clearly been out for a while), but still of a good standard for a hotel of this type. The hotel has an 80s charm about it, and the restaurant seems to have been redecorated recently to a modern standard. Overall, this is an ok chain hotel, without huge charm, but fairly predictable.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Stayed here just for a quick break with my girlfriend. The location of the hotel is great and there is ample parking. Check-in was fine. I booked and paid for my accomodation on Ebookers but when I got to the hotel they asked for payment for the booking. I explained I had booked it online and even showed them the transaction on my phone and the guy behind the reception was very helpful and said he would sort it out.

The room was fantastic!! I think it has just been refurbished but the room was lovely and warm and clean. Nice big flatscreen TV and the bathroom was gorgeous.

We ate in the hotel bar in the evening and the burger is fantastic!! Bar staff were very friendly and had a good chat with them.

Woke up in the morning to find an invoice under my door asking again for payment so I went to reception and the same bloke who checked us in said he would sort it out. Breakfast was great. Very fresh and a large selection to choose from.

On the whole I would definately recommend this hotel. It is only a short distance to Northampton and very easy to get to.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I would not normally review a restaurant in my hotel review, but I have been to this hotel twice now, and both times the restaurant has been appalling! Why would I visit a second time, I hear you ask? Well, I was a captive audience, let us say. The hotel itself isn't too near to another eating option and so 'Centrale' it was!
Firstly, let me say that the hotel itself is perfectly adequate. It's just a glorified Travel Lodge, plain and simple (but quite well-equipped) rooms, nothing that makes it stand out from any of the other corporate 'high-end' chains.
The room was very reasonably priced at £65 (an offer) for a single. I had a HUGE bed, much bigger than the last time, but it was a disabled room so I'm not sure whether this made a difference?
Large TV, usual tea and coffee facilities, adequate bathroom which smelt slightly unpleasant and vinegary, but nothing too serious.
On to 'Centrale' the upmarket, very expensive 'French Bistro' within the hotel.
Dear Lord above.
Starter: £11, grilled king prawns. Slightly overcooked and rubbery, but edible.
Main: burger, £11-ish. Overcooked to the point that it was totally inedible. Sent back to the kitchen, another arrived straight away ("the chef has loads ready" the waitress said! Surely the problem?!) Again, inedible, but it was difficult to press the point with a waitress who had absolutely no interest whatsoever.
Dessert: £5.95 (I think) Tarte Tatin. Pastry was raw, sent it back. Came back nuked in microwave, pastry still raw. Brown stewed soggy apples on top, and - get this - treacle from a bottle sqeezed over in place of the procedure known as "cooking", when you caramelise the apples.
After this, the will to live had completely departed and so I left the dessert for the waitress to find and returned to my room without asking for the bill.
It was charged to my room, but at no point did anyone ask whether there was a problem - they knew that there was as I had returned two dishes to the kitchen!
It's a pretty scandalous restaurant and it really lets the hotel down. It's a plain, corporate hotel, but if it had a nice restaurant then it would make the experience of staying there quite nice. As it stands, I would avoid.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Could not fault it. Me and my partner stayed for our honeymoon night and was bowled over from the very beggining. Amazing staff amazing food and amazing facilities! It may be of a higher price to other local hotels but it's clear to see what you are getting for your money

• Stayed January 2010
Somerset
Reviewed 13 December 2009

Stayed for one night in a double room al expenses paid due to company xmas party. Had a double room which was excellent. Bed and pillows were very comfortable and smelt lovely and clean. The bathroom was also clean and hygienic. Large flat screen Tv with freeview channels. We were very impressed with the high standards. The xmas meal was a bit sparce, and a few more potatoes and veg would have been appreciated! The only negative was the reception staff. No warm greeting or even a smile. Had to even ask how to get to our room!. We did have a good nights sleep, and the breakfast is first class, with plenty of hot bacon, eggs etc and fresh fruit and pastries. We would recommend this hotel. We didnt use the pool or gym so cannot comment. Drinks are a bit pricey.....£9.00 for a brandy with no mixer and a pint of lager.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
dorset
Reviewed 26 November 2009

we could not fault our stay , reception friendly and efficient , our room was spotless.
we usually stay in a innkeepers lodge at collingtree northampton but the rooms were getting very tired and grubby we had to take cleaning stuff with us and clean the room on arrival, so we changed and paid a bit more and went to the marriott, the difference is worth every penny. staff were very polite we had breakfast with room service, arrived
with perfect poached eggs and very hot a perfect start to the day, we ordered the breakfast at 9 arrived dead on 9. we could not fault our stay.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night in June as i had my graduation ball here. The hotel itself is great, along with the hotel pool. The room was a good size and had a sofa in it, nice and modern. The only problem was that the room was really warm, and all you get is a fan, but when the room is warm all a fan does is blow hot air around. All in all, i paid £50 online for the room, with no breakfast , so a great rate. Breakfast is an additional £15 each, so didnt bother.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple