“Very Nice Lunch”

The Old White Hart
Ranked #36 of 517 Restaurants in Northampton
Price range: US$16 - US$26
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Public House, serving fresh food from Noon until 9pm. Sunday until 6pm. Private dining available & large parties our specialty. Private hire rooms available. 180 Seater courtyard with heaters. Booking advised but not essential.
Surrey England
“Very Nice Lunch”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Arrived here for lunch on a weekday and was a little put off as the place was almost empty. Serving staff were a little amateurish but tried very hard. More customers arrived which gave the place a better atmosphere.
I was very pleasantly surprised by the food. Very nicely prepared and presented and reasonably priced. I would recommend you try it.

Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
“Surprised”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Old white hart another famous pub of Northamptons finest.When we entered we we were taken back how modern and smart the deco was for a second I thought I was back in London in up0market bar .good selection of drinks very good menu choice £10.50 for weekly changing roasts on Sunday to 7pm thats for one course 3 courses £19.50.

1 Thank lillymaypod
northampton
“Top Class”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Went for a second time to try their summer menu and we were not disappointed,it was amazing, could not fault anything. Food is just out of this world. Well done to Brett the chef. We had a very pleasant girl called Sophia who was our waitress, she was a really lovely girl. Give it a try. Debbie and Gary

2 Thank stillettoes48
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Don't judge a book by its cover”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I drive passed this pub nearly every day and I'm sure it had a reputation as a spit & sawdust pub. Had to book a restaurant for a group of friends and kind of booked this by mistake, was really worried it would be awful. Well, fear not, it was awesome. Lovely little outside dining area with subtle lighting, very welcoming staff and the best tasting food I have ever tasted. My tastebuds have never been so spoiled. So many delicious flavours, especially in the dessert. I had the chocolate mousse, hazlenut milkshake & cherry explosion - all I can say is WOW! All my friends were delighted and we will definately go back. After the meal the manager explains the head chef was away so I can't wait to go back and try his culinery expertise. :-)

1 Thank smartlady642
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Best pub in Northampton? Probably.”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Let's get this straight. Don't come to the Old White Hart. It's my local, it's got fantastic food and drink, great staff and lovely relaxed atmosphere and frankly I don't want to risk all of that by all you lot turning up and spoiling it.

Putting aside the fact it's a lovely building (it is), which combines a bit of Northampton history with a modern interior (it does), it does everything really well, without being flashy or self-conscious.

Service is friendly and efficient, the drinks choice is good and usually there are two or three real ale and one real cider on offer (and despite being as far away from a "real ale" pub as you can imagine, keeps and serves its beer in a condition which some so-called real ale pubs should take note of).

Food wise, be prepared for some surprises. It's not that unusual for top end pubs to take pub grub up a level, and the OWH doesn't disappoint here - some of the best burgers in the town can be found here, along with other classics. But the chef takes things way beyond pub food and puts a lot of the supposedly high-end restaurants in Northampton to shame.

Own smoked cheeses and meats? Why not.

Usually some handmade snacks or condiment on offer behind the bar - some weeks marmalade, at the moment paprika pork scratching? Sure.

Well thought out and presented tapas for those looking for just a snack? Absolutamente

Items cropping up in the specials menu, like the recent chilled tomato consomme which will bring you close to tears in appreciation and rue the wasted cash you've spent in Michelin starred restaurants on less well cooked food? Oh yes.

Any slight niggles? Perhaps and only very minor. All the sandwiches come slathered with mayonnaise, which seems to be a modern trend which isn't going away - so I'll forgive them. And while I agree not all pubs need a "chicken nuggets and chips" kids menu, a little thought about getting a few suitable kid friendly dishes onto the menu wouldn't go amiss. But I'm being picky and staff have always been more than happy to allow a bit of menu hacking to create something suitable for our six-year-old.

All this food and drink can be enjoyed in the spacious and relaxed interior, or - if the weather behaves itself - in what must be one of Northampton's largest beer yards (complete with covered and heated areas for smokers).

So to to make myself clear. Great pub. Great food. Great staff. Just let us enjoy it on our own please...

• Visited July 2014