“Lovely food, friendly staff, comfy bed! Very happy :-)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Walnut Tree Inn

The Walnut Tree Inn
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Northampton
Broadstairs, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, friendly staff, comfy bed! Very happy :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights this week whilst visiting relatives in the area. The room was well equipped with everything I needed, and the bed was possibly the comfiest I've stayed in! The en-suite was very clean and the shower was lovely. I ate in the bar on one night, and can thoroughly recommend the cider braised ham, egg and chips with pineapple piccalilli! Breakfast was also very good with a good choice of cereals, fruit and a cooked breakfast. The staff were, without exception, friendly and helpful and made me feel very welcome. There is no denying that the railway line is very close, and I could certainly hear the fast train going by very regularly. However I had a room at the back and I did not find that it disturbed me at all. I slept very well indeed. I would not hesitate to book return stay next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

I've eaten here before and also had my business Christmas party here a couple of years ago. Tonight I called in with my wife and daughter on our way home from the office. What a fantastic experience, friendly staff, great service and the Food was of an exceptionally high std. My daughter requires Gluten Free which was very well catered for. We all had the Pork for a main, looked fabulous, great flavour and the very nice ratatouille that accompanied it was a very nice addition. Only two of us had dessert, the Espresso Brulle, with a clever twist! was a delight, accompanied by freshly
made biscuits., as was the Lime Pannacotts with lightly poached Rhubarb. A spontaneous decision to call in, but we will definitely be back, especially given its proximity to our offices in Collingtree.

• Stayed July 2013
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

After a white water rafting experience we met up for for a stay at the Walnut Tree. Very warm and sultry conditions and a warm welcome on arrival. Rooms were well appointed although those at the front had to contend with some rail noise early on. Lots of atmosphere in the bar which was quite full but no problem. Later in the evening after dinner we returned to the bar where there was live music. Great soundproofing as no hint of the music in the dining room or the bedrooms.
Now to the dinner! The menu looked interesting but often you can be disappointed when the courses arrive. Not in this Inn. All 10 in our party were very happy with their selections and in my case, it has to be one of the best meals I have had at the price. Presentation, quantity and flavour was all there. The lime panacotta, rhubarb compote and ginger slice was a geat end to a meal washed down with the house wine.
We then retired to the bar area to enjoy the final few songs from the band and a nightcap before bed.
You could not fault the breakfast either. Good quality produce well cooked with charming service in the cool dining room where the staff ahd set a table just for our group.
If you find your self going to Northampton or close by and want a night away you will be hard pushed to find a better place. Just ask for a room at the back although the trains don't run all night and our friends with front rooms still had a good sleep.

Room Tip: One at the back
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed one night at the hotel and used the restaurant for both dinner and
The hotel and bar staff were very good.
Great base for Silverstone.
Food was of a high standard, squid very good and ribeye steak was excellent... the adjoining bar is well worth a visit,
All in all great stay, only draw back was our room was at the front of the building directly alongside a main train line with Virgin trains passing though at speed on a regular basis!
Minor issue and would happily return

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Berkshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in June for 1 night on business. My first concern was that the moment I drove up to the hotel I could see it was literally a stone's throw from a railway line. Not just any railway line, but a Virgin express railway line that had trains running all through the night, most frequently every 5-7 minutes.

I have never had such a bad night's sleep in my life. The trains were constant and as I was in room 6, at the front of the hotel, there was no escape. Each time a train pelted past the whole floor would vibrate. Just as I nodded off a train would pass, wake me up, I would nod off again and the whole process continued from the moment I attempted to sleep until I got up at 6.30am. Not ideal when you have a full day of training to deliver the following day.

To compound matters, in my room there was a fire exit sign that was lit up green all night and I constantly felt I was being beamed up it was so bright.

The website for the hotel is very misleading as there is absolutely no mention of the railway line. I am amazed that the TripAdvisor reviews are not worse!! I cannot believe that this hotel would ever attract returning customers.

The staff were all very friendly and the food was average.

Would not recommend to anyone who plans on sleeping here.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

A friendly little hotel. We arrived to check in very late - which seemed no worry to them. We were too late to have anything to eat but the bar looked very welcoming. Got up to a lovely freshly cooked breakfast served by very efficient and friendly staff.

Room Tip: The hotel is VERY close to the main London to Birmingham railway line, if you don't want to be...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

The staff were welcoming and helpful and the room had all the necessities. Inspite of the closeness to the high speed London railway line we were not bothered by the noise at the back of this nice old building. Breakfast was excellent. We had not found the mattress very comfortable but our feedback was received in a very positive way.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ann B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Hopping Hare
#6 of 29 in Northampton
French Partridge
French Partridge
#1 of 1 in Horton

Been to The Walnut Tree Inn? Share your experiences!