“Very disappointing - especially with such high expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Indian Ignite

Indian Ignite
Ranked #130 of 516 Restaurants in Northampton
Price range: US$10 - US$26
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Balti, Eastern European
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing - especially with such high expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Judging from the previous excellent reviews on here I walked into this restaurant with quite high expectations. I'm not sure if I just caught them on a bad day but I was definitely not impressed. Me and my partner attended on a Monday as part of a Groupon deal and before I go on a rant the FOOD was fine, I have no complaints there - it arrived hot with big chunks of chicken..... HOWEVER:

There were 2 staff, one who I assumed was the manager and 1 waitress, We were given the menus by the manager and explained that it was the set menu, which was fine - that's what the Groupon said it was (it didn't say what that entailed but we went anyway as we like all Indian food), However when the waitress came back to us she asked us what we wanted to order, we were confused as we were told it was the set menu for 2 (which had 2 Poppadoms onion Bhajis, chicken Tikka starters and 2 curries, can't remember the exact ones, a portion of Saag Aloo, 2 lots of pilau rice and a plain Naan), had it pointed out to us and assumed that's what we had to have. She explained that we could substitute things for other things on the menu which we weren't told, so we then had to decide what we wanted to pick (we kept the starters the same but changed the curries for different ones and the pilau rice for mushroom rice). 10 minutes later we were told that we couldn't change the pilau for mushroom as it was only the mains that we could change! Again this was not explained to us, the waitress kept having to phone the manager up on an internal phone just to check - the pilau rice and the mushroom rice was the same price on the menu so why we couldn't change it I have no idea!

The Poppadoms arrived, we were only about half way through them when the starter arrived (I thought generally the idea was to finish a course before being given the next one but oh well) - everything was tasty although we felt a bit rushed between those 2 courses but as they were both "starters" dishes was no big deal. We finished those expecting the main course to follow. And we waited....and waited.... and 20 minutes passed.... then 25.... and we waited... and then the manager came over and told us our food would be ready in 10 minutes! Never have I ever had to wait over half an hour between courses in a restaurant with only 4 other groups of people (and 3 of those groups were couples) and especially not in an Indian, where things tend to flow fairly smoothly. The food arrived eventually, it was very nice but I was so hungry by that point I probably would have eaten it even if it wasn't!

Another thing I found a little odd was the fact that there were a couple with a child sitting having a meal (well, the man was in any case) on the table nearest the bar (we sat just behind them) who seemed to either know or be related to the staff there - were constantly talking to them and going behind the bar, and towards when we were leaving the manager asked the lady to go out and get him some more chicken!! Bizarre, you would have thought they would have already had enough of this from whatever suppliers they use.

Will not be coming back here again, can get better elsewhere with much better service.

Manoj S, Manager at Indian Ignite, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hi Holly,

It was indeed one of our ''first bad day'' at the restaurant , short of staff and myself was not there too. If i only knew you were visiting our restaurant i would have had made my presence to serve you personally. Please except sincere apology from me and on behalf of my team. My partner had to rely on a family friend who kindly accepted to help him and since she was unable to find a child minder she had to get her daughter along . We couldn't have possibly shut the restaurant as we had table reserved, so we had to go with the odds. I fully appreciate this shouldn't have spoiled your evening. Please allow me to invite you again and allow another opportunity to correct our mistakes which were never intended. There will be no room for mistakes and hope we will win your faith and trust back in us. Please can ensure you text me personally on my mobile number (07440727989) or just let me know when you would next like to visit and i shall ensure i am here waiting for you guys.

Again we are truly sorry .....

Yours Faithfully

Vishal

“Need to work on the knowledge ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner visited this indian as it looked really good on groupon and trip advisor.

But.....

Although the food was not bad at all. Good portions and not bad service. Apart from the hair in one of the starters.

The only thing I could really criticise is the waitress had no idea at all about the food. We asked her about a really interesting dish that went to another table her answer was " looks like a massive pancake thingy with chicken inside, I can't tell you what it is, I have no idea"

Maybe a little more training is in order.

I don't think we will be visiting again.

1 Thank Amanda F
Manoj S, Owner at Indian Ignite, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hi Amanda,
First and foremost I would like to apologize about how you felt and had experience at our restaurant. It was one of the day were I was short staffed and called on one of my friend to give a hand. I have taken your comments on-board very seriously hence I assure you that this won't occur again. I wish and would like to show you how we put our customer first and do our best to make your evening best. Please allow me to invite you both again (Of course on the house :-) ) and and allow another opportunity to correct our mistakes which were never intended. We are always learning from our experience and fully appreciate your feedback and with such feed back will only going to make us better and stronger. We don't want to loose you as our valued customer i hope you will accept our invitation.

Thanks
Manoj
luton
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Went to the restaurant on the off chance if seeing an offer in the window with my husband, and can say the food is of top quality and really left me full up! Fantastic service all the staff are very chatty and take an interest in you as people as opposed to just another customer. Wine a little expensive but overall great value and visit again for sure!

1 Thank mick025
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“First time but not the last”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

What a great night we had the guys working made us feel so welcom. The service was second to non and the food well wow well worth going to A*****

“Best Curry Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This has to be the best curry we've had in years, if not ever! The usual generic fare which appeals to the British palate has now become more about how hot the curry is and less about the actual taste and ingredients. If you're fed up with the usual - try this out. The flavours were a delight -nicely spiced, but not so hot that you felt as if you'd had an anaesthetic. The bombay aloo was delicious and different from the usual bombay potatoes, the lamb curry was to die for and the naan bread was puffy, light and golden. If you like proper curry, cooked well with nice ingredients then do yourself a flavour (yes, I mean flavour) and visit this restaurant sooner rather than later.