Hopping Hare
US$94
  • Pool
US$103
US$92
Hotel Campanile Northampton(Northampton)(Great Value!)
US$47
US$44
  • Restaurant
The Poplars Hotel(Northampton)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$87
US$89
US$87
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Northampton Town Centre Hotel(Northampton)(Great Value!)
US$82
  • Restaurant
All reviewsscotch egggastro pubmain coursesunday lunchlovely mealbooked a tablehousing estatefull englishstaff were attentivepuddingbar areathe ground flooran evening mealcomfy bedmember of stafffollowing morningdouble room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Luckily we were only booked in for 1 night. We arrived the person behind the bar just about managed to speak to us and give us the key to the room. Room & food were very good. However staff were extremely rude except for the waitress who served us in the restaurant.
We asked for a whisky and rum/black both arrived with ice, took these back to bar about 2 mins later they arrived back at our table with ice removed but still ice cold. My husband drank his but I returned my drink as it was spoilt. We came down to breakfast on Saturday morning not one of the staff said good morning, we asked for marmalade after much huffing we were told there was none. The toast was made from stale bread so did not eat in the end. We have never stayed anywhere that the staff were just rude, ignorant, bad mannered and we felt that far from being a friendly atmosphere they really did not want to put themselves out.
We felt it was expensive for the treatment you are given by staff, having got home and read the reviews We can see that other people have felt the same as us. Far from being relaxing the whole stay was spoilt by the reception we were given when we first arrived. We booked this stay in June 2012 for October 2012 and were surprised that the money was taken from our account then. Now we understand why as we would not have even stayed after the way we were greeted.

Room Tip: Do not bother to stay
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat T
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2012

Dear Pat,

Thank you for your review,.

I am pleased that you found both the room and our food to be very good.

I am of course disappointed, but also genuinely surprised, that you felt that we were let down by our staff. Generally the feedback on our staff is very good and it is a key priority that we give excellent customer service and I believe we do this on the vast majority of occassions.

Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from another great weekend at the Hopping Hare. As a party of 9, David and his team made us extremely welcome. We had a fantastic meal in the restuarant and apparently the pork belly starter was amazing. We now all need another excuse to come back to Northampton so we can book another weekend stay!

• Stayed: October 2012
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Lorraine,

Thank you so much for your very kind review.

I am so pleased that you take the time and make the effort to come to Northampton and seek out the Hopping Hare.

We all hope you can visit again soon.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

We came to the Hopping Hare to celebrate being a couple and it did not disappoint. The menu has great choices for appetizers, main course, and dessert. For appetizers, we had beer battered onions, vegetables fried in oil, and an assortment of bread! They were amazing! And the bread was fresh with the crust bursting with flavor. For dinner, we had the pub burger which was more like a steak so it was fabulous! It also came with french fries that come in a mini deep fryer basket on your table. The presentation of the food is marvelous. We also had the English Classic, Shepherd's Pie which contained minced lamb and carrots with double baked potato over the top. I had never tried this before in England, and it was amazing. Also, on the side in a mini casserole, came steamed carrots and spinach. We did not have room for dessert, but there were plenty of options. The ambiance of this place is great because it has whatever you want. There is a fully stocked bar, a restaurant, and pub side all of which will serve you the same food. The service was quick and friendly. If you have a stop to make in Northampton, this should be the one you make! Both romantic and not overly expensive, (meal for two with appetizers and drinks was under 40 pounds) this place will not disappoint! :)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

Dear grkgal,

Very many congratulations on becoming a couple and we are really honoured that you chose to celebrate at the Hopping Hare.

What a warm and kind couple you are and full of praise for us. Great choice of amazing quality food...service quick and friendly.....romantic and not overly-expensive. Thanks for these great comments.

I hope you have a great future together and hope that you can visit us again soon. If you can please tell Dave the General Manager about your previous visit.

David.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

If you were ungenerous, you would say this is a pub with rooms above. But the Hopping Hare is a bit more than this. It is a pub, a hotel, and a restaurant, all trying to cater for the upper end of the market, and not quite finding its identity. We stopped for a weekend, and found a number of positives - excellent decor, a modern feel, ambience, but there are a number of issues stemming from its mixed identity. Bar prices are hefty - a glass of red wine and a pint of real ale was £9.90! Wine prices on the restaurant menu are also hefty. As the food and the service is just average, the prices seemed to represent poor value.

The Hopping Hare caters at the weekend for wedding parties, birthday parties and suchlike, so do not expect a quiet time if one of these parties is happening whilst you are staying. Also, and this is unforgiveable, not all the rubbish after these parties is cleared up when the guests leave. So, when we went down for breakfast on the second day, there was a lot of party remnants left on the floor in both the breakfast area and the dining area. As the carpet is not one to hide marks, it showed up all the more.

Also, at the weekend, breakfast is served very late (9am if I recall), resulting in everyone coming down at once, causing pressure on the kitchen.The couple next to us were waiting over an hour for their breakfast to arrive - fortunately, we were luckier.

So, overall three stars, but could easily get five stars if a little more attention is paid to cleanliness in the public space, and the staff are better trained in excellence , and not just settling for adequacy.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Thirdface
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear TF

Thank you for your review.

It is disappointing that a couple of minor points prevented us being scored 5 out of 5. I certainly agree that all the party ''debris'' from Saturday night should have been cleared up for Sunday breakfast and we will address this.

We do try to offer excellent food and drinks at VFM prices and i am comfortable that we do this given our marketplace and the very high quality of our offering. I appreciate that prices might be slightly lower in Liverpool.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Northampton doesn't seem to be overflowing with good centrally located hotels but this one is only ten minutes drive and pleasantly situated. I loved the decor - some real creative flair and imagination has gone into this. It must have cost a great deal, and I think the rather expensive bar prices are helping to pay for it!

Staff were friendly, attentive and the room was spotless, small, but comfortable and decorated to a high standard.

We stayed on a Saturday and Sunday and our Saturday evening meal was excellent. Sunday was a little more hit and miss. At breakfast, the advertised 'crispy' bacon with the scrambled eggs was very underdone and the eggs a little watery. The evening menu was much reduced from the day before; my first course was missing two garnishes and main course had a garnish changed. No warning of this - or explanation - was offered in either instance. However, when my dessert arrived minus its raspberries, I queried this and they were immediately supplied, with an apology.

These are the only issues and I suspect would not apply all the time. They didn't stop my enjoyment of my stay at The Hopping Hare and I am still happily giving it 4 stars. I might just avoid Sundays next time!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Ann-Allegra

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased that the meal on Saturday evening was excellent and you felt that the staff were friendly and attentive.

I am disappointed about the issues, albeit minor, that you raised re Sunday evening menu. We will take your points on board.

We hope you can visit again soon and we will certainly try and deliver a five star score.