“Quirky hotel fab breakfast”
Review of Hopping Hare

Hopping Hare
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Northampton
Reading, United Kingdom
“Quirky hotel fab breakfast”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here on a d B and B deal with wine in 2012. We had a lovely stay and found the team at the hopping hare to be very hospitable and professional. The room was small but beautifully decorated. A lovely change from the more "corporate" type hotels. We had a really lovely meal and a fun time short break at the hopping hare. We will definitely return when we are in the area again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MandL9
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear M&L,

Thank you very much for your complimentary review.

Excellent customer service is one of our highest priorities and the team are really appreciative when their efforts are recognised.

We look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards, David.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel as an overnight stay on our way to Manchester. I have to say we were really impressed. The standard of the room was very good, the food was excellent and the staff friendly and welcoming. Would I stay here again? Too right I would and I would recommend this place to anyone. Be warned though, the food portion sizes are very good :-)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Burmana,

On behalf of the team thank you very much for such a complimentary review. We read all reviews and is great when our efforts are appreciated.

Excellent quality food and first class customer service, going that extra mile to help, are our highest priorities and I am pleased the team delivered on both.

We hope you can both visit again soon.

Kind regards, David
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed in the Hopping Hare, with my daughter after a visit to the NEC. We arrived just after 7pm and were warmly welcomed and very pleasantly surprised by the tasteful decor. The evening menu looked fantastic with attention to detail. The tables were well laid, very clean & the waitresses attentive. The chicken & bacon club was delicious and nothing seemed too much trouble. We were pretty tired (Crufts!) and were so pleased with our double room (19) It was spacious, with masses of hanging space, extra towels, comfy sofa and soft lighting. My top impression was that it was immaculately clean! I am fussy and have stayed across the world - but this was the cleanest room with ensuite I have experienced! I could not fault it at all! Complimentary shampoos etc added to this (especially as we had forgotten ours!) Breakfast was excellent, served quickly and very hot. The sausages were good quality and speciality teas & coffees were available. I felt very rested and would not hesitate on staying here again. It is 10 mins or so, from the motorway so no motorway noise. It's in a quiet residential area with immediate parking and patio area. Hopping Hare deserves 10/10.

• Stayed March 2014
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Sally,

Thank you very much for your complimentary review. The team really appreciate it when their efforts are recognised.

I am very pleased that you received a warm welcome and found our menu to be fantastic and it is great to hear that your room was the cleanest you have ever experienced. We do try to deliver the highest standards in everything we do.

We hope you and your daughter can visit again soon.

BRADFORD
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I had a one night stop over on my way home, to Yorkshire, my first time in Northampton to my son who's at Uni there.
I was fortunate to be given an early check in which was very accommodating as this suited my schedule.
We sat in the bar lounge area at lunchtime and enjoyed a relaxed lunch from the bar menu, which resulted in superb, well presented food, along with a few beers, of which I was delighted to see Black Sheep, well done on your choice of an excellent Yorkshire brew!!
After a sport filled afternoon at Franklin Gardens, (Northampton Saints) I returned and enjoyed a great night's sleep in a very well appointed room.
Very well furnished, clean and tidy room.
Breakfast was served in the bar lounge, again a very relaxed atmosphere, a good selection of buffet, along with a varied menu, a full English was received and was dealt with appropriately!
I would thoroughly recommend a stay at the Hopping Hare.
Unfortunately didn't have sufficient time to dine in the restaurant, but will definitely be back and fully intend to spend a weekend there.
Thanks for a relaxed and pleasant stop over.

• Stayed February 2014
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Bantam,

Thank you very much for your very complimentary review. The staff really appreciate your comments as they try really hard to deliver excellent customer service.

We hope you can visit your son on a regular basis and we will keep the Black Sheep on and superbly maintained for your next visit.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We booked fairly last minute for the dine and stay offer on NYE. We have eaten a few times here before and know how superb the food is. We were greeted by the manager and other staff member and checked in to a beautifully clean and modern room. We then enjoyed a couple of drinks a sitting down to a fantastic meal. The scallop and pork belly starter and bouillabasse were especially delicious. We didn't stay in the bar to see the New year in but instead enjoyed a glass of wine in the room watching the London fireworks on tv! A great nights sleep and a great quality breakfast to finish of our stay. The service and staff are certainly worthy of a mention as they are a very high standard. Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank REVS1979
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Revs,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit a review and for your kind comments.

We are delighted that you had a great evening and a very Happy New Year to you both.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I had a single room at this hotel during a friend's wedding and it was lovely! However, I was here during the heat wave in the summer and my room was smoldering! There was no fan or air con (I get it's not needed most of the year) and I was unable to get any air circulation in the room as the only window that opened, was a small one that was half under the floor (I can't really explain)! Aside from the heat, the staff and the hotel as a whole was fantastic and I'd certainly recommend it! :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Melinda M
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Malinda,

Thank you very much for your complimentary review.

Sorry about the heat in the summer. We only have 1 single room and 19 doubles and if we had not been full we would certainly have allocated you a double room.

The single room is small and in the heat wave we had for a short period is difficult to cool.

We hope you can visit us again soon.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

From the outside a first glance, it looks like a rather dull, modern gastro pub. It is actually an Edwardian manor house of a rather curious design (since extended) that results in a central courtyard (now covered over downstairs). The bedrooms are well appointed, although the windows in the older part are not double-glazed. My en-suite had an excellent power shower - baths are available, and I understand there is a "wet room" downstairs for persons with mobility problems.
It is a family run inn, so do not expect late night service. i was working late, so booked in on arrival, was given a front door key, and advised about who to ring if there was a problem. I had a delicious venison supper (£14.95), with wonderfully moist meat that was the best I have tasted for a very long time. The food prices were well suited to the quality, and only a little more than "average", for food that was very much better than average. Certainly much cheaper than equivalent restaurants in town. Full English breakfast was certainly full - beware if you have a small appetite. I hate to think what the cholesterol count was, but healthier options were available. The one very curious thing was that the breakfast marmalade was a rather cheap and nasty own label version - a minor detail like that was quite a surprise.
The staff were very helpful; the place also acts as a local pub (the ground floor area is large enough), with a very cosy open fire. I wasn't aware of a discount for eating in, but it was £75 B&B - obviously worth enquiring!
Don't expect the food to be served quickly - it is obviously cooked to order. We enquired about doing a beefburger takeaway for a colleague, and were told it would be 20 minutes - I presume even the beefburgers are created from scratch. (The colleague had the Hopping Hare fish and chips instead, with great chunky chips - my one was excellent!)

Room Tip: Rooms at the front get some road noise, but it is a residential speed limit area. If you have any sp...