All reviews scotch egg scallops lovely meal housing estate sunday lunch gastro pub main course three courses booked a table fish and chips pudding staff were attentive bar area full english stayed one night the ground floor an evening meal
Reviewed 30 July 2018

Stayed for 2 nights whilst at a concert at the Northampton Stadium - about a 25 min walk away. Great lunch, great breakfast and comfortable rooms and pleasant staff. Dinner was quite fancy, but not ridiculously priced. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for your kind review and for recommending The Hopping Hare, very much appreciated by us all.

We are one if the very best restaurants in the County and the only restaurant in Northampton with 2 AA Rosettes and the team are 100% committed to delivering first class customer service.

We hope that you enjoyed the concert and look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

The hotel itself is located within a housing estate which to be honest sounds worse than what it is. We arrived after a two hour journey to be confronted by less than happy staff. Our room was sorted quite quickly however my mothers booking had been messed up despite copious amounts of confirmation and reassurance that it was sorted, when questioned the front of house staff were far from accommodating as if we'd insulted them. The rooms are very nice however the bar shuts at midnight....as a wedding party we had informed the staff that we would be back at 23:30 and stay in the bar for a few night caps.....upon arrival at the hotel post venue the hotel had shut up at 23:15 as no customers had shown up, which i can understand, IF no prior information had been given. Long story short there is a massive lack of communication with the staff, they are under trained and somewhat rude. Would i recommend again.....NO

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iaintaylor83

Dear Ian,

I am disappointed at your complaints and having investigated I do think they are unfair and would explain why as follows:

We did indeed make a mistake with one of the rooms booked by your party in that it should have been set up for twin occupancy and this did not happen and I apologise for this error . However, our remedy of giving a second room free of charge was I feel appropriate and avoided any delay. I believe the staff were embarrassed by their mistake rather than unaccommodating.

When you arrived back at The Hopping Hare just before midnight the restaurant and bar had just closed. It was a quieter than usual evening and normally we would close later. We often have groups staying and dining with us and we will always agree a closing time to suit their requirements. Rightly or wrongly, but I believe understandably, staff thought that your comment about having a few nightcaps later was no more than a statement of intent.

I know that our staff have a huge commitment to deliver exceptional customer service and I can assure you they are never rude to customers.

I do believe that my response is fair and balanced. Kind regards, David. ,

Reviewed 27 July 2018

Stayed the night after visiting Althorp House and was not disappointed.
We had room 18 which was on the second floor, so lots of stairs. The room and bathroom were a good size, modern and in good order, also had a sofa. It was a very hot night, but the management had provided three fans and with windows on three sides we were able to have a through draft. We had no problems with noise both internal or from outside.
We had are evening meal in the restaurant and the food was good quality cooked to a high standard. The early evening menu (5:00 to 7:00) at £19.95 for three courses was good value.
Breakfast only offered boxed cearals for cold food, but a good choice of hot dishes which were the same standard as the evening food.
Friendly and helpful staff

Room Tip: Room 18, good size and quiet
Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Jamy,

Many thanks for posting a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Hopping Hare. We are very well located for visitor attractions such as Althorp.

Our highest priorities are to serve excellent quality food (we have 2 AA Rosettes) at great value prices, alongside first class customer service and I am pleased that we delivered for you.

We look forward to seeing you again if you are visiting Northampton again.

Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

Friendly staff, great bar and restaurant, excellent cooked-to-order breakfast included in room price, BUT be careful if booking online as some ‘double’ rooms are very small, and the last two times I’ve booked online I’ve been allocated a very small room. Probably better to call. Also no A/C!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2018

Dear Lyn,

Thanks for the feedback. For the benefit of other readers, I would expand on your points :
The Hopping Hare was previously a manor house and our rooms are of varying sizes ie Exec apartment; King size; standard double; cosy double (smaller) and single. Room prices are higher for larger rooms but all rooms have separate en-suite bathrooms and include free breakfast, free parking and free WiFi.
The very best way of booking is via our own website as full descriptions of all rooms and facilities are given in great detail and prices are always cheaper than booking through any other booking agency.
None of our bedrooms has A/C as it would not be economically viable, but all rooms have fans.
Our restaurant is excellent quality (2 AA Rosettes) and great value.
We do hope you will choose The HH when you next visit Northampton.

Reviewed 5 July 2018

Great location. Great pub. But be careful what room you get.
Got a single room and it has to be the smallest room I have ever stayed in (Room 7).
And also one of the hottest. Uncomfortably hot. No air con, just an old tower fan which just preceded to waft the hot air around the very small room.
Food was also disappointing. Especially after seeing the photos on the web site.
Tried the fish and chips. More batter than fish. And batter over cooked.
Maybe the other rooms are larger and possibly cooler, and maybe other food choices are as good as others are saying, but for me, not a great stay.

Room Tip: Avoid single rooms and ask about heat in room!
Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2018

Dear Jonathan,

The Hopping Hare was previously a Manor House and our bedrooms are of varying sizes and are priced accordingly and are great value as the price includes free breakfast, free parking and free WiFi. Prices are guaranteed to be always cheaper booking directly via our website or by phone rather than through a booking agency. Our one single room is small but has an excellent en suite bathroom with shower. We do not have air con in any room

I will investigate your comment re food as our fish & chips is a firm favourite with many customers. We source from the very best suppliers and every dish is cooked to order by highly trained chefs. We have a great reputation for excellent quality food at great value prices and we have 2 AA Rosettes. I do apologise if something has gone wrong on this occasion.