All reviews scotch egg scallops lovely meal sunday lunch housing estate gastro pub main course roast beef three courses pudding fish and chips full english staff were attentive bar area stayed one night an evening meal comfy bed
Reviewed 4 August 2018 via mobile

We were taken here as a thank you by family, so this is why I didn't complain at the time as it would have been embarrassing to do so.
My mussels as a main course were just about ok. However, far too much cooking water left in the 'sauce' so it tasted just like salty water. I've had much nicer mussels in chain restaurants (Cote Brasserie for example). The tiny bread bun served with it was far too stodgy and solid. IMO it should have been served with French stick.
The puddings sounded lovely, however, the coconut Pana Cotta had zero discernable coconut taste and was far too solid (too much gelatin). Extremely disappointed with my meal overall, it fell far below expectations.
Poor value overall.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Dear Carol,

I am disappointed that your meal fell below your expectations.

We source fresh mussels on a daily basis from Exmouth. Mussels are a wild product, they are opened and cleaned in house. Absolutely no water is added and the other ingredients are white wine, double cream, garlic and parsley. Similarly, our rye bread rolls are baked in house. It is highly probable that managed house chains use frozen mussels. Clearly personal preferences vary, but what makes us stand head and shoulders above our competitors are a highly experienced, skilled and talented kitchen brigade using the highest quality fresh produce, with every dish prepared and cooked to order.The overall feedback on both dishes has been excellent.

I do believe our offer is great value for top quality food, but I respect your right to disagree.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

Went to the Hopping Hare Gardens and was very impressed with their flavoursome Club Sandwich.... best ever !
Staff was very approachable - great team - Well Done.

I have stayed here previously but this was just a catch up with a friend

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank TheDuke1953
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2018

Dear Duke,

Many thanks for your kind review and for awarding the team top marks, very much appreciated by us all.

Great quality food (2 AA Rosettes ) at value prices, alongside excellent customer service are our highest priorities and I am pleased that you have commented on these.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2018

Stayed for 2 nights whilst at a concert at the Northampton Stadium - about a 25 min walk away. Great lunch, great breakfast and comfortable rooms and pleasant staff. Dinner was quite fancy, but not ridiculously priced. Would definitely stay again.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for your kind review and for recommending The Hopping Hare, very much appreciated by us all.

We are one if the very best restaurants in the County and the only restaurant in Northampton with 2 AA Rosettes and the team are 100% committed to delivering first class customer service.

We hope that you enjoyed the concert and look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

The hotel itself is located within a housing estate which to be honest sounds worse than what it is. We arrived after a two hour journey to be confronted by less than happy staff. Our room was sorted quite quickly however my mothers booking had been messed up despite copious amounts of confirmation and reassurance that it was sorted, when questioned the front of house staff were far from accommodating as if we'd insulted them. The rooms are very nice however the bar shuts at midnight....as a wedding party we had informed the staff that we would be back at 23:30 and stay in the bar for a few night caps.....upon arrival at the hotel post venue the hotel had shut up at 23:15 as no customers had shown up, which i can understand, IF no prior information had been given. Long story short there is a massive lack of communication with the staff, they are under trained and somewhat rude. Would i recommend again.....NO

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank iaintaylor83

Dear Ian,

I am disappointed at your complaints and having investigated I do think they are unfair and would explain why as follows:

We did indeed make a mistake with one of the rooms booked by your party in that it should have been set up for twin occupancy and this did not happen and I apologise for this error . However, our remedy of giving a second room free of charge was I feel appropriate and avoided any delay. I believe the staff were embarrassed by their mistake rather than unaccommodating.

When you arrived back at The Hopping Hare just before midnight the restaurant and bar had just closed. It was a quieter than usual evening and normally we would close later. We often have groups staying and dining with us and we will always agree a closing time to suit their requirements. Rightly or wrongly, but I believe understandably, staff thought that your comment about having a few nightcaps later was no more than a statement of intent.

I know that our staff have a huge commitment to deliver exceptional customer service and I can assure you they are never rude to customers.

I do believe that my response is fair and balanced. Kind regards, David. ,

Reviewed 27 July 2018

Stayed the night after visiting Althorp House and was not disappointed.
We had room 18 which was on the second floor, so lots of stairs. The room and bathroom were a good size, modern and in good order, also had a sofa. It was a very hot night, but the management had provided three fans and with windows on three sides we were able to have a through draft. We had no problems with noise both internal or from outside.
We had are evening meal in the restaurant and the food was good quality cooked to a high standard. The early evening menu (5:00 to 7:00) at £19.95 for three courses was good value.
Breakfast only offered boxed cearals for cold food, but a good choice of hot dishes which were the same standard as the evening food.
Friendly and helpful staff

Room tip: Room 18, good size and quiet
Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Jamy,

Many thanks for posting a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Hopping Hare. We are very well located for visitor attractions such as Althorp.

Our highest priorities are to serve excellent quality food (we have 2 AA Rosettes) at great value prices, alongside first class customer service and I am pleased that we delivered for you.

We look forward to seeing you again if you are visiting Northampton again.