All reviews scotch egg scallops lovely meal sunday lunch housing estate gastro pub main course roast beef pudding three courses fish and chips staff were attentive bar area full english stayed one night the ground floor an evening meal
Reviewed 11 November 2018

Had a lovely Sunday Roast, The Beef a little fatty for our liking, but I have never eaten any where before, that served Syrup Pudding and Apple Crumble, WITHOUT Custard, I could not believe it when toled they don't do Custard, where does that come from???? very dissapointing, I went without, who wants Ice Cream with Syrup Pudding or Apple Crumble,

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2018

Dear Kbest,

Thank you for your feedback and I am apologise as you were misinformed.

We do indeed make lovely home-made custard which takes about half an hour. We do have several menus and the menus are changed regularly. Usually we serve apple crumble with either home made ice cream or home made custard and these options are equally popular. On this occasion we were serving apple crumble with ice cream.

I hope this is helpful.

Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

Went for Sunday roast, meal in general was fine, vegetables were a little underdone and the roast potatoes looked more like new potatoes than lovely fluffy crispy potatoes.. come on guys, great roasties make or break a roast!!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2018

Dear Hotdog,

Many thanks for your review and we will take on board the points you have made.

Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

We went to the Hopping Hare tonight for our anniversary dinner in high hopes after many friends recommended.

We had scallops, pork, venison and they were all beautifully cooked, however, the pork and venison mains were another level above the scallops and were as nice as I’ve had in any restaurant, the textures and flavours were simply delicious.

However, unfortunately the desert wasn’t of the same level, we both had chocolate mousse with coffee ice cream, but the mouse was nearly solid & the biscuit had gone soft (probably through being prepared and left with the mousse on top in the fridge/ freezer) and this just spoilt the desert entirely.

What a shame, whilst we still had a lovely meal, don’t make such a rookie mistake as this, because for the money I wouldn’t expect something like this.

Still lovely & we’d still go again tomorrow

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Honeymonster,

Many thanks for your kind review and for recommending The Hopping Hare, very much appreciated by us all.

I am pleased that your starters and mains were at our very high standards of 2 AA Rosette level, I have discussed the dessert with Head Chef and there has been an oversight whereby the moisture from the mousse has been absorbed into the biscuit resulting in an imperfect dish. We apologise for this mistake and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We very much look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 13 October 2018

We stayed here overnight before visiting Althorp House, which is just a short drive away. As another reviewer said, please don’t be put off by the location. This is a gem of a hotel.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Our room (5) was clean and spacious with a very comfortable bed. I think that’s the first time my husband has managed to have a good nights sleep in a hotel! Roomy ensuite.
Tray of tea and coffee in room with good quality biscuits...and bottled water, which you don’t get in lots of hotels.

There is a lovely ambience in the bar. we didn’t eat in the restaurant because there was a special event in there, so we sat in the bar area and ordered from the bar menu. the food was excellent - particularly the treacle tart with ginger ice cream....the best I’ve eaten anywhere..so light!! Good wine, too.

My husband and I both highly recommend this hotel. We would have liked to stay longer!

2  Thank MrsJPitman
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2018

Dear Mrs Pitman,

Many thanks for your kind review and for awarding the team top marks, which is very much appreciated by us all.

Our highest priorities are to offer exceptional customer service, alongside outstanding quality food (we have 2 AA Rosettes) at great value prices and I am delighted that you were pleased with both.

We do have private housing to the side and rear of the property as The Hopping Hare was formerly a manor house until the surrounding land was developed in the 1960's. However, we are well located being set back from the A428 (resulting in a peaceful night's sleep!!) and convenient for both town and country and rail and road links. We are very popular with both regular business customers and visitors to the County.

We do hope you can stay with us again. Kind regards, David.

Reviewed 7 September 2018

Don't be put off by the location of this excellent hotel/restaurant. (on a housing estate) We stayed overnight following a visit to Althorp which is close by. Our room was large, comfortable and clean. Our evening meal was excellent, high quality restaurant standard and not overly expensive. The full English breakfast was also very good. My only slight criticism would be the lack of choice for a continental breakfast. There is a 'granola pot' on the main menu but the buffet consisted of some individual packets of cereal.

Date of stay: August 2018
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Dear Erica,

Many thanks for your review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Excellent quality food (we have 2 AA Rosettes) at great value prices, alongside excellent customer service are our highest priorities.

The Hopping Hare was formerly a manor house and the surrounding land was developed for private housing in the 1960s, but set back from the A428 we are conveniently situated between the town centre and country villages.

We will review the continental breakfast choices.

We hope you can stay with us again, kind regards, David.