All reviews scotch egg scallops lovely meal sunday lunch housing estate gastro pub main course roast beef three courses pudding fish and chips full english staff were attentive bar area stayed one night an evening meal comfy bed
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I decided to enjoy a nice evening meal out. Having taken the time to dress for the occasion, and looking forward to quite a nice evening, we were met with shoddy service which deteriorated as the evening progressed. I have never before had an evening ruined by the poor service. The detail is probably irrelevant, but I’m pleased to say the poor service was equally distributed between our fellow diners.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Masters2
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Masters2,

I have investigated your complaint and understand that there was a mistake made with your order and I sincerely apologise for this mistake., I am also sorry that you consider our efforts to rectify the mistake to be insufficient.

It is one of our highest priorities to deliver exceptional customer service and it is very disappointing that we failed to deliver on this occasion.

I do hope you will dine with us again and I am confident that you will have a far better experience.

Reviewed 5 January 2019

This hotel/pub/restaurant benefits hugely from NOT being a chain - so you feel you are getting a far more individual take on hospitality and service. If you don't need to be in the centre of town, this would be my pick of hotels in Northampton.

I have stayed several times over the last 2 years - with a relatively small number of rooms, it's often fully booked in the week. Rooms have all been comfortable, clean and well-equipped. Being a popular pub/restaurant, it can be a little noisy in the evenings so requesting a room on the upper floors would be my recommendation.

Breakfast is cooked to order (much better than a picked-over buffet) and the restaurant offers good food, fairly priced. You will need to get in your car/take a cab to eat anywhere else.

There are no "fancy" amenities like a gym or spa which means for some people this place will not tick all of the boxes when picking a hotel - however, I would far rather a comfortable and welcoming stay than facilities I invariably never get around to using.

Room tip: Rooms on the top floor are the quietest
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Alison V
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2019

Dear Alison,

Many thanks for your kind review and for awarding the team top marks, very much appreciated by us all.

I really do appreciate your comments as I think you have very accurately described to other travellers what The Hopping Hare has to offer. No swimming pool or gym, but excellent quality food at great value prices (we are the only 2 AA Rosette hotel or restaurant in Northampton) and first class, friendly customer service. Our rooms have comfortable beds, powerful showers and are spotlessly clean and well maintained. Having previously been a manor house our rooms are of varying sizes.

I am very pleased that you are one of our regular guests and we look forward to your next visit..

Reviewed 24 December 2018

Lunch for three was of poor overall quality and quite expensive. Soupof the day was bland and not seasoned at all. Roast beef, described as aged sirloin but it was tasteless, very fatty and obviously pre-sliced from wholsaler. Turkey was similar. Our daughter had sausage and mash which was acceptable but very average and pricey. Server's knowledge of drinks menu was also poor. Really wish we had gone elsewhere.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2018

Dear Clive,

I'm sorry that you were disappointed.

Whilst not complacent, I can give you 100% assurance that our roast beef is aged sirloin, sourced from one of the highest quality suppliers in the County. We are the only 2 AA Rosette restaurant in Northampton, we source produce based on quality criteria and every dish is prepared and cooked in house.

Our offer is to serve excellent quality food at great value prices, along with first class customer service. We are proud to have been inducted into The TripAdvisor Hall of Fame, having been awarded a Certificate of Excellence each year for the last 10 years.

I do hope this addresses some of your concerns. Kind regards, David.

Reviewed 26 November 2018

I stayed at this hotel whilst travelling for work and thought it was lovely. Rooms are nice and clean and the staff are friendly. We also ate at the restaurant and the meal was delicious, if a little pricey.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
David G, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2018

Dear GG,

Many thanks for your kind review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Our priorities are to serve excellent quality food (we are the only restaurant in Northampton with 2 AA Rosettes) alongside first class customer service and I am pleased that we delivered.

We look forward to seeing you again, should you be staying in Northampton.

Reviewed 22 November 2018

I need a 'disabled access' and accessible room plus wet room ... all three present and available without fuss. I felt safe. The bedroom was large, spacious, comfortable and well-thought out. The wet room was fantastic and spacious with grab handles everywhere. The room was completely well appointed. It was the best hotel/restaurant that I have stayed at as a guest in the UK.
The restaurant was fully booked, a large party was celebrating with Sunday lunch. We sat by the fire and talked. My brother and his wife joined us. The happy birthday group drifted away talking of the beautiful meal they had eaten. We were shown to our table and our expectations were heightened. We were not mistaken ... although some dishes had been sold out ...the remaining dishes pleased us all, the freshness, clarity and thought in the preparation was beautiful, the eating fabulous, the portions were ample. We were the 'noisy' table, including the friendly staff in the banter. We apologised for the joyful meal. We chose four different dishes off the menu at each course; it was a wonderful evening with no dissension, much laughter and fantastic food. We all slept well, had breakfast which was fresh, clean tasting, plentiful and filling. We left went to inter my Mother's ashes. The staff at The Hopping Hare were all helpful and did not intrude or hover. In our difficult personal circumstances, the service was exemplary ... when visiting my Aunt and Uncle we shall book in again and again!
As a teenager I used to socialise and drink in The Hopping Hill ...how it has changed!

Room tip: Wet room bedroom on the level, ground floor.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Invicta CMJ,

Many thanks for your kind review and for all the good things you say about the staff and The Hopping Hare.

Your story is very moving and I empathise with the difficult personal circumstances surrounding your stay with us.

We certainly really enjoy and welcome noisy happy customers and I am delighted that the staff joined in, fun for all concerned.

We very much look forward to seeing you again when you next visit Northampton.