“Wasn't to sure if I had made a good choice, but once there it was very good”
Review of Hopping Hare

and 1 more site!
Hopping Hare
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Northampton
Reviewed 14 February 2011

We were in London for a fashion show on Sunday and wanted to break the journey home up so a mid point stay in the midlands seemed a good idea. Now adays booking a hotel is difficult and prices for a good hotel are often over the £130 mark then a meal etc you're looking at £200. So I was pleased when I found the Hopping Hare and the dine and stay offer which was £55 for a King Double as long as you had a meal there. So it looked a good deal. Some reviews were not so great but I thought that we should give it a go.
Arrived at 6.30 and yes check in was at the bar but was done smoothly and we were given all the relevant info we needed. We made our way to the room and I was very happy with the room. A large bedroom with good wall mounted flat screen TV , lovely bathroom, all in all a good room (Room 9). It looked onto houses but it was dark and we hadn't booked it for the views.
Went downstairs for a meal and ordered our food, Ruth and me were chatting we weren't in a hurry when the waiter bought us a complimentary glass of champagne each as there had been a delay on the starters( we hadn't noticed). The meal was very tasty and reasonably priced. Back upstairs for a good nights sleep.
Woke in the morning about 8.40 and thought that we would miss breakfast so Ruth went downstairs to pick up a cuple of pastries and juice but they had run out so the waitree offered us breakfast in bed, bonus and it was very tasty. Checked out with no hassle.
Now I would certainly recommend this hotel to couples wanting a nice meal, few drinks then just sloping back of to bed. If its culture, grandeur, butler service, red carpet, valet parking, gym, luxury that you're after this probably isn't the place but it certainly was a great way to finish our weekend. Well done Hopping Hare

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a full and complimentary review.

I apologise if my reply is a bit shorter, but we hope you can visit again soon.

Many thanks

Reviewed 31 January 2011

I stayed here early January, meeting a "special" client and must say I have mixed opinions.
I waited for 15 minutes to check in and when I was finally greeted by a camp slim shady lookalike he informed me that he was sorry but he had to take an important phone call. Slightly disgruntled I went to my room and looked forward to my evening meal.
On entering my room (room 20) I was met with a smell I can only
describe as satanic! It smelt as though the toilet had been abused
by a pack of gorillas. After cleaning
the toilet myself I readied myself
for dinner.
My "client" ordered the partridge and I opted for the crab linguine. We waited a little while for our food and when it arrived I must say I was sort of impressed. My clients partridge was very under cooked and after being sent back to the kitchen and being told he would get a fresh meal by a very tall man, we were most disappointed to only receive the same bird only cooked a bit more. On the plus side the veg was perfect, well seasoned and cooked perfectly. My crab linguine was exceptional and although not what I would normally order, the chef must be of very high quality to make it so tasty!!! I was disappointed that there was no walk around by the head chef as I would have loved to discuss theses points with him and especially tell him about my fantastic pasta and praise the chef that cooked it. After dinner though I did manage to meet the chef in question outside over a cigarette he was very tall and obviously the driving force behind the kitchen! Overall my stay was bogged down by some minor gripes but that one meal has secured a return visit. Thank you mystery chef!!!

• Stayed: January 2011

Dear Annie,

Thank you very much for your review and I'm really pleased you enjoyed the food.

Please visit again soon.

Reviewed 17 January 2011

I decided to book this hotel as the reviews on Trip Advisor were good and the price seemed very good. On arrival I was greeted by a helpful member of the bar staff who checked me into my room despite being early. I ordered lunch which came with fantastic fat chips. Later on when friends arrived we had a few drinks which were very reasonbly priced and a meal. The restaurant part of the pub was quite upmarket and the range of food on the menu ranged from £11 to £22 for a main course. The staff were all helpful and the food was of a very good quality. The rooms were perfect exactly like they look on their website, the bathroom fittings all looked brand new and the decor looked recently decorated. The following morning the full cooked breakfast that was included in the dine and stay option was perfect. On departure the staff were once again attentive and asked how our stay had been. A wonderful stay for such a reasonable price. Go stay there!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends

Malton,

Thank you so much for such a fantastic review.

We hope you can visit again soon.

i

Reviewed 6 January 2011

Even though some building extension works disrupted our stay a little and the lock was broken on our arrival, the staff were extremely attentive and got everything sorted very quickly.

We were visiting to watch a local rugby match at the saints stadium & this hotel could not be better situated- staff happily organised a taxi for us.

I have stayed in hotels five times the price which could not have made us feel more welcome - the food was also excellent and the place had a nice buzz, which if I am honest I was not expecting.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear MarketT,

Thanks for a great review.

I hope the match was great, we are a ''friend '' of Northampton Saints and as you say we are ideally situated for visiting fans, who always receive a very warm welcome.

Kind regards

David.

Reviewed 23 November 2010

I took my husband here for our anniversary, we stayed in the 'brown/orange room' No 6, on one of their £40 deals. All looked very nice & after dinner, very tired, we retired to our room. As my husband showered, I decided to flick through a magazine that was on the table to discover underneath a welcome card. It stated that there should be a menu & guest questionaire, none of these were present. i looked round the room & found 2 bulbs blown, dusty walls, mirror & lamps, window latch was broken & lay on the window sill, the bathroom towel rail did not heat up & the shower door fell off it's rail when you closed it. Mould growth on shower & sealent. The springs were broken on the edge of the bed & when you lay on it, you rolled into each other (not always a bad thing!) All in all I think it comes down to bad maintenance. At breakfast the cleaner was spraying a bleach based cleaning product near the juices etc on the bar! The manager was not available. reception said they could give me a 'bit of paper to write on!' So I decided to email-but the link didn't work. Oh & if by chance you do visit, be mindful of the door that leads past the restaraunt to the toilets & guest room's, it has no window as i discovered when a member of staff came barging through & nearly knocked me flying. On the plus side, Sunday dinner was good

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Rich,

Sorry you didn't have a great time, but pleased you enjoyed the Sunday lunch.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 November 2010

Stayed here on a one night break with my partner. Check in was straightforward although I was confused with their being no reception just the bar. The room was spacious, clean and the decoration was superb. Service was great, enjoyed dinner and breakfast was really filling. Only niggle was I couldn't get the free wi-fi to work but I suspect that was more my fault! I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Very nice but the rooms are on the small side, we were at the top of the building so it was quite stuffy, if you opened the windows you had the sound of the extractor fan from the kitchen, if you left the bathroom door open and opened the bathroom window the timer kept the light on for a very long time (13 minutes before it went off)! But overall very nice and spotlessly clean. Good breakfast although it would have been nice to have some fruit. Staff all very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Sedgebrook Hall
Sedgebrook Hall
#1 of 1 in Chapel Brampton

Been to Hopping Hare? Share your experiences!