“An affordable, reasonable, and personalized tour along Hadrian’s Wall with Real Roman Tours” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hadrian's Wall

and up
Hadrian's Wall, Roman Britain and the Scottish Borders
Ranked #18 of 235 things to do in Northumberland
More attraction details
Owner description: Built by the Roman Emporer Hadrian in AD 122, the remnants of this ancient wall stretches 73 miles from Wallsend-on-Tyne to Bowness-on-Solway.
Thunder Bay, Canada
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Visiting Hadrian’s Wall has always been a personal dream. Being in England and Scotland for over a month with my family I was convinced that this dream would be easily fulfilled. However, after weeks of contacting a number of tour operators “specializing” in tours along Hadrian’s Wall, many of them not even having the common courtesy to respond back to me, and others quoting outrages sums of monies for a day tour, I was quickly discouraged. Fortunately, I took a tour along Antonine’s Wall last with Real Roman Tours last week, although being quite satisfied with the outing, I did express my disappointed with being unable to visit Hadrian’s Wall. Upon hearing this, Real Roman Tours developed a customized tour for my son and me and provided us with a fantastic experiential experience featuring visits to the Roman Army Museum and the Vindolanda Roman Fort and Museum (an active archeological site) and then a walk along the wall, this past weekend. Providing insights and interpretation into daily Roman life in Britain, the guides also engaged and enthralled my son with tales of living along the Roman frontier. Keeping an 8 year old interested in ancient history is a gift, and I cannot emphasize how much I appreciated the attention and efforts of Quintus and Rufus. Having done my research and having experienced two amazing tours with this company, I would suggest that future travelers forget the rest and simply contact the best (and most reasonable) - Real Roman Tours.

Visited May 2014
5 Thank HL_333

• Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
568 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,211 helpful votes
“I just liked the general scenery really!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We just pulled in where there was space to park along the road and had a look for free. I think the actual wall is a bit over-hyped, it was moreso the general scenery that I liked. I know it's of historical importance which is why it's hyped but..!! It goes on for a long time so there are plenty of places where you could pull in for free. Northumberland in general is lovely and scenic, well worth a visit.

Northampton, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“go look for free”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

if you go to the roman army museum,when you come out drive up the dead end road opposite until you come to a dead end,,there is loads of space to park your car. in front of you there is a slight climb to the crags mile castle,as my wife and I cannot climb very much this is an easy way of seeing the wall snake up and over the country side

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Biffothebear69
Market Deeping, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Good for history buffs, as long as you don't take a dog and want to eat inside.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We decided to visit Hadrian's wall at Housestead Roman fort instead of the larger Vindolanda as dogs were welcome at Housestead. It is a steady climb up to the fort, so decent shoes do need to be worn.
The ruins are very interesting and it was good value for money with very friendly, helpful staff.
Our only complaint was none of the local pubs were dog friendly and, as it was beginning to rain, we did not fancy being relegated to a damp beer garden. It is obviously a universal policy as, on our way home we saw a pub with a huge sign saying dogs welcome.
The attraction is very good if you enjoy history... or indeed walls.

2 Thank Elfinium
blackpo
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“An excellent 6 days walking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We recently completed the walk from Wallsend to Bowness-on-Solway over 6 days. The highlight was the middle 2 days which covered the area from Chollerford to Banks as this is the stretch where the majority of the remaining wall stands.

The walk to Chollerford via Heddon-on-the-Wall was okay as it followed the river through the city centre and then out into the countryside. Once past Chollerford though it is ruggedly beautiful with some spectacular views - it is still remote now so it must have been bleak for the legions guarding the wall all those years ago.

The walk from Banks into Carlisle is pleasant enough and goes through a more scenic area than the route does in Newcastle. There are rumours that the "official" end of the walk is going to be changed to Carlisle rather than Bowness-on-Solway. This would be a poor decision IMO as the walk is very pleasant and passes the best tea room on the walk (Rosemount in Burgh-on-the-Sands) and the best B&B would be omitted - the Wallsend in Bowness-on-Solway which also has an excellent tea room.

2 Thank seasider968